Jacks Prepare for Cyclones and Gophers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jacks Prepare for Cyclones and Gophers

although the soccer team is very young (No Seniors and a ton of Frosh. who start) they are off to a good start. Best of luck as the Jackrabbits take on teams from the Big XII and Big 10 this weekend.

http://www.gojacks.com/

Jacks Prepare for Cyclones and Gophers

BROOKINGS, S.D.—The South Dakota State University women’s soccer team will step onto the field Friday night coming off a 2-1 win over the University of Northern Iowa this past weekend. The Jackrabbits, 2-1 on the season, will go on the road for the first time this season when they travel to Ames, Iowa, and Minneapolis, Minn.

The Jacks will take on Iowa State University Friday night at the ISU Soccer Complex. The game is set for 7 p.m. in Ames, Iowa. Following the game in Ames, the Jacks will travel to Minneapolis to take on the Gophers of Minnesota. Start time for the match against Minnesota is set for 1 p.m. Sunday at Elizabeth Lyle Robbie Stadium. South Dakota State defeated Northern Iowa 2-1 last Friday night at Fishback Soccer Park to move to 2-1-0 on the year. . . .

Go Jackrabbits! ;D

Re: Jacks Prepare for Cyclones and Gophers

Ames will be hopping this weekend with the Cyclone/Hawkeyes game. If I didn't have to work I'd have half a mind to drive down there Friday and watch the Jacks, then hang out and tailgate for the big game Saturday. I gotta pull for our future conference mates the Cyclones.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Highlights from an Argus story:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...39/1002/SPORTS

SDSU soccer building for future
      Chris Solari
      csolari@argusleader.com

Published: 09/8/05

BROOKINGS - Lang Wedemeyer knows what it's like to build a soccer program from the ground up at South Dakota State. He's already done it once, and in some respects, he's doing it again.

Starting about a half-dozen freshmen, the Jackrabbit women will leave for their first road games of the season this week - at Iowa State on Friday and at Minnesota on Sunday.

"With such a young team, there's some immaturity as far as the sophistication of the game," said Wedemeyer, in his sixth season as the Jacks' coach. "But they also don't have any preconceived ideas about the teams we're playing."

Wedemeyer ushered in the the program at the Division II level in 2000. After slowly building SDSU into a competitive program, Wedemeyer essentially had to start again from scratch when the school moved to Division I last season.

After going 5-11-1 a year ago, the Jacks remain extremely young - no seniors and only four juniors. They opened this year by defeating former North Central Conference foe Minnesota State-Mankato, then took one on the chin against a talented Creighton squad in a 5-1 loss.

Friday, SDSU responded by taking out Northern Iowa 2-1. With a goal from midfielder Kellyn Farrell and the game-winner by fellow freshman Chelsea Goosen in the second half, the Jackrabbits picked up a historic win heading into a tough road rendezvous with a pair of major conference opponents.

"It was a storied win for us - our first Division I win at home, and our first Division I win of the season," Wedemeyer said.

Junior goalkeeper Jenn Davis had surgery in the spring and was slow to recover in the offseason. Freshman Nicole Lograsso got the start in the first two games, but Davis got the victory against Northern Iowa, saving six shots.

Early indications are the youngsters have some talent. Goosen, from Olathe, Kan., leads the team with four goals. Sophomore Kelsey Worcester, co-Division I Independent Newcomer of the Year in 2004, also has a goal and an assist.

Farrell, who came to Brookings with twin sister Kerstyn via Littleton, Colo., has a pair of goals already. Kerstyn leads the team in shots with 12, but her only point came on an assist.

Roosevelt grad Annie Pudenz, another freshman, has worked her way into the rotation in the midfield, getting her first collegiate start against Northern Iowa.

"The thing about our team is that even though we're very young, we're very competitive," Wedemeyer said. "Obviously in the second year (of Division I), we have some better players in the program. But it's still going to take time, and we know that."  .  .  .

Go State!  ;D

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd
        Ames will be hopping this weekend with the Cyclone/Hawkeyes game.  If I didn't have to work I'd have half a mind to drive down there Friday and watch the Jacks, then hang out and tailgate for the big game Saturday.  I gotta pull for our future conference mates the Cyclones.
        Ouch. As an Iowa grad, it hurts not to have my SDSU mates in solidarity... although I can certainly understand the land-grant affinity for ISU. Seriously, though, Iowa will crush Iowa State. Drew Tate (best undersized, Big Ten playmaking QB since Drew Brees) throws for three TDs. ISU (note that they struggled with Illinois State last week) turns it over three times. Hawks win 35-10... I hope. You just never know with these in-state rivalries. This is the game of the year for ISU, their chance to make a statement... Nah. Won't happen.

And just so I don't get flamed for an off-topic post, let me say that the UNI win was a great one for the Jacks. I think there is a bright future for SDSU soccer and volleyball.

Comment

(from News at State)

09/09/2005

Jackrabbit women blanked against ISU

AMES, IOWA — Renee de St. Aubin scored in the 30th minute of the contest to give Iowa State University a 1-0 victory over South Dakota State University Friday night at the ISU Soccer Complex.

St. Aubin scored ISU’s lone goal of the night off an assist from Amanda Purple.

SDSU goalkeeper Jenn Davis, a junior from Kansas City, Mo., recorded seven saves during the match as the Jackrabbits were out-shot 14-4 by the Cyclones.

Sophomore Lisa Robinson led the Jackrabbit offense with two of the four shot attempts during the game.

With the loss, SDSU moved to 2-2-0 on the year. Iowa State improved its record to 3-2-1 on the season.

The Jackrabbits will take on the University of Minnesota in a 1 p.m. match at Elizabeth Lyle Robbie Stadium in Minneapolis on Sunday. The Gophers defeated Northern Iowa 3-1 Friday night.

Comment

Originally posted by OK_Jackrabbit
            Ouch. As an Iowa grad, it hurts not to have my SDSU mates in solidarity... although I can certainly understand the land-grant affinity for ISU. Seriously, though, Iowa will crush Iowa State. Drew Tate (best undersized, Big Ten playmaking QB since Drew Brees) throws for three TDs. ISU (note that they struggled with Illinois State last week) turns it over three times. Hawks win 35-10... I hope. You just never know with these in-state rivalries. This is the game of the year for ISU, their chance to make a statement... Nah. Won't happen.

And just so I don't get flamed for an off-topic post, let me say that the UNI win was a great one for the Jacks. I think there is a bright future for SDSU soccer and volleyball.
            Mmmm, overconfidence play a role? Tate going down was of course the biggest factor. Pretty convincing win for the Clones.

Nice showing by the young Jacks. Hope they fair better against the Gophers.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

It sound like the Jacks played well in the Cities.

http://www.gojacks.com/

Jackrabbits and Gophers go scoreless

MINNEAPOLIS, Minn. — The South Dakota State University women’s soccer team closed out its two game roadtrip by tying the University of Minnesota 0-0 in double overtime Sunday afternoon at Elizabeth Lyle Robbie Stadium in Minneapolis, Minn.

The Jackrabbits held a 7-4 shots-on-goal advantage for the match, including a 5-3 advantage in overtime. . . .

With the tie, SDSU moved to 2-2-1 on the year, while Minnesota brought its record to 3-2-2 on the season.

SDSU returns home next week to take on Wisconsin-Green Bay on Sept. 16. Start time for the contest is at 7 p.m. at Fishback Soccer Park. A free tailgate party will start at 5:30 p.m. before the match. The first 200 fans that enter Fishback will receive free hot dogs and root beer floats.

Following the game at Fishback, the Jacks will travel to Oregon on Sept. 23 to take on Oregon and then Oregon State two days later. Start time for the match against the Ducks is set for 9 p.m. (CT), while the match against the Beavers is set for 3 p.m. (CT).

Go State! ;D

Comment

Originally posted by OK_Jackrabbit

OK_Jackrabbit: Hey you didn't think I would let you get away with this did you? This makes 6 out of the last 8 for ISU. This is no more the game of the year for ISU than it is for Iowa (although that used to be the case when ISU was horrible). Just giving you a hard time...ISU/Iowa is a great and fun rivaly. If you are ever interested in coming to Ames for a bb or fb game, let me know.
                ________
                Rolling A Joint
                Last edited by CycloneJack; 02-15-2011, 12:04 AM.

Comment

http://www.startribune.com/stories/512/5608921.html

This was a sizable headline in the Star Tribune regarding the soccer match between SDSU and Minnesota.

Comment

It looks like a Gopher team that we tied earlier this year has been doing rather well. Best of luck to Coach Wedemeyer and the YOUNG team as they finish the year.

http://www.gophersports.com/sportsNe...ort_id=wsoccer

SOC: Golden Gophers Rally for 2-1 Upset of No. 26 Illinois Printable Version
                    October 9, 2005 - The University of Minnesota soccer team erased a 1-0 halftime deficit with goals just 4:18 apart in the second half to upset No. 26 Illinois, 2-1, on Sunday at Elizabeth Lyle Robbie Stadium. The Golden Gophers won their fifth game in a row and improved to 8-4-2 and 5 -1-0 in the Big Ten.

Comment

Working...
                    X