• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jacks host season-opening tournament

(from News at State)

11/02/2005

Jacks host season-opening tournament

BROOKINGS, S.D. — Members of the South Dakota State University wrestling team will step onto the mats for the first time this season, when they wrestle at the Daktronics/Warren Williamson Open this upcoming weekend.

The Jacks’ season begins Saturday morning where more than 200 wrestlers from about 20 different schools are expected to wrestle at the Warren Williamson/Daktronics Open, including 20 wrestlers from SDSU.

Action begins at 9 a.m. at Frost Arena. Tickets, which will be available at the door beginning at 8 a.m., are $8 for adults and $5 for students K-12 for the day-long event. Bracket sheets will also be available for $2.

Wrestling Release 11-1-2005 is available on the site:

http://gojacks.com/

Re: Jacks host season-opening tournament

SDSU hosts Warren Williamson/Daktronics Open
    http://gojacks.com/

BROOKINGS, S.D.— Members of the South Dakota State University wrestling team opened their season Saturday, wrestling at the Daktronics/Warren Williamson Open at Frost Arena in Brookings.

More than 200 wrestlers from about 20 different schools participated. Les Sigman, who wrestled unattached, was voted the Outstanding Wrestler, while Jeremy Walston of Mary recorded the Most Pins award.

Championship Results
    125: Eric Hoffman, Iowa Central, dec. Desmond Radunz, 6-1
    133: Tony Valdez, Iowa Central, dec. Eric Sanders, 4-2
    141: Ryan Adams, unattached, dec. Dan Bonte, 9-4
    149: Gabe Mooney, North Dakota State, dec. Willy Mekeel, 3-2
    157: Matt Collum, Iowa Central, def. Matt Everson, by default
    165: J.D. Naig, unattached, dec. Ross Taplin, 2-1
    174: Nate Althoff, unattached, dec. Tim Johns, 3-1
    184: Nate Buys, Augustana, dec. Tyler Sorenson, 5-4
    197: Jacob Marrs, unattached, dec. Jacob Bryce, 3-1
    HWT: Les Sigman, unattached, dec. Drake McCoy, 11-2

See attached below link to view results from the 2005 Daktronics/Warren Williamson Open.
    http://gojacks.sdstate.edu/2005wwdak.htm

Comment

Just in case you are venturing in to this segment, all of the Jackrabbits competed "unattached". So Nate Althoff was a champion for SDSU and Dan Bonte, the freshman from Garretson, was the runner-up in his weight class.

Comment

Tyler Sorenson, runner-up at 184 pounds, is also from SDSU.

Comment

Glad to see Tyler Sorenson did well in his first collegiate tournament. His dad, Oran, was my wrestling coach at Dell Rapids High School many moons ago, and I can remember when Tyler and his brother Andrew were little squirts, hanging around the mats while practice went on... I'm not sure, but I think we "adopted" them as our unofficial mascots!
          I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Highlights from the Brookings Register:

http://www.brookingsregister.com/mai...02&page=25

SDSU, area wrestlers all have success at Williamson

BY REGISTER STAFF

South Dakota State University and area wrestlers competed at the Warren Williamson/Daktronics Open Saturday at Frost Arena.
            More than 200 wrestlers from roughly 20 schools participated.
            SDSU head wrestling coach Jason Liles made the decision to have the Jackrabbit wrestlers compete unattached at the event, which has been held every single year Liles has been leading the yellow-and-blue.
            According to NCAA rules, schools are not allowed to comment on results of unattached competitors.
            Nate Althoff, a Watertown native coming off a 25-win season for SDSU, picked up where he left off last season by winning the 174-pound weight class title with a 3-1 decision over Tim Johns.
            Heavyweight Les Sigman was named the tournament's most outstanding wrestler. Sigman dominated Drake McCoy in the title bout to the tune of an 11-2 major decision.
            In the same class, SDSU's Jason Stripling earned fifth place with a 3-0 decision over Dana's Armando Montoya.
            Tyler Sorenson advanced all the way to the championship match at 184 pounds, before getting decisioned by Nate Buys 5-4. . . .

Andy Everson, who normally competes for SDSU, was was sixth after bowing out due to an injury default. . . .

The South Dakota State wrestling program will compete this Saturday at the Harold Nichols Open, hosted by both Iowa State and Iowa Central Community College, at 10 a.m. in Fort Dodge, Iowa.

Go State! ;D

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
              SDSU head wrestling coach Jason Liles made the decision to have the Jackrabbit wrestlers compete unattached at the event, which has been held every single year Liles has been leading the yellow-and-blue.
              According to NCAA rules, schools are not allowed to comment on results of unattached competitors.
              I'm sorry, but what is the logic in not commenting on UNA's if they are part of your program?

Sometimes I really question the NCAA's reasoning.
              I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Working...
              X