• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dairy Tasting team champions

More titles for SDSU teams.

Holy Cow! University team cream of crop

Dairy tasting team finds success, experience at international tournament
    Andrew Sain, Staff

You can cheer them on, but don’t compare them to Napoleon Dynamite. The U of M dairy tasting team competed in the 84th Annual Collegiate Dairy Products Evaluation Contest in Chicago from October 27-29, earning a respectable middle of the pack placing overall, with food microbiology graduate student Gary Graumann finishing tops in cheddar cheese tasting.

Students compete by tasting six different dairy products — milk, ice cream, yogurt, cottage cheese, cheddar cheese and butter — and evaluating them for defects and quality. “There could be up to 10 or 12 defects,” said team coach Arnie Hydamaka. “You have to evaluate the defect and then give it a score based on if it’s a slight, definite or [severe] defect.” Examples of defects include milk having a malty or cooked taste, an onion and garlic taste or being rancid.

The top overall finisher in the competition was South Dakota State University. Examples of other “dairy tasting powerhouses” include California State Polytechnic University and Wisconsin State University, which offer courses in dairy evaluation and bring in substitutes in case one of their first string team members comes down with a cold. The University of Manitoba team, on the other hand, is run outside of class hours. Members need high academic standing, must have taken at least one dairy course and “obviously have to like dairy products.”

We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Re: Dairy Tasting team champions

In high school, I competed one year on our dairy tasting team. It was a lot of fun, but I really have never been able to eat cottage cheese since. The premise of the competitions is quite interesting in that you get to taste samples that have some defect (too much salt, poisonous chemical added to it, etc.) and you have to figure out what is wrong with the sample. Somehow that still seems wrong in some way to me. The next year the team from my school won the state competition and got a free trip to Kansas City for the national competition in conjunction with the national FFA convention.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Working...
    X