• Show
Clear All

• Wrestling story

Highlights from an Aberdeen American News story:

http://www.aberdeennews.com/mld/aber...s/13537712.htm

McIntosh grad overcomes obstacles
    Knee injury SDSU senior's latest battle

By Dave VilhauerAmerican News Sports Writer

Cody Nehl is no stranger to obstacles. He meets them the same way he takes on challengers on the wrestling mat: head on.

Whether it be overcoming a crushing setback, rehabilitating an injury or having to take a road less traveled, the 197-pound senior at South Dakota State University has persevered and produced through it all.

Growing up in Watauga, opportunities for fame were few and far between. Nehl attended McIntosh High School, but because the school had a cooperative wrestling program with Lemmon, he was forced to travel 100 miles per day just to be on the squad.
    Many others might have thrown in the towel, but not Nehl.

"That thought did come across my mind, but wrestling is my thing," he said. "I just love to compete and wrestling is my way of doing it."

Nehl made his lengthy trips worthwhile by becoming a monster on the mat. He was undefeated his senior season and poised to win a state championship before suffering the most disappointing loss of his career. He was pinned in the finals of the 2001 State B tournament at Wachs Arena in Aberdeen.

"That's the one thing that I'll always regret," Nehl said. "That's the only match in my high school career I've never watched (on tape). I don't have any reason to watch that one. It would just be depressing."

Nehl got out of wrestling for a year, but could not get the taste of that final prep match out of his mouth.
    "I couldn't end on that and I wasn't going to," he said. "That was kind of a sour note. I know I'm better than that."

Soon Nehl found himself back on the mat and slowly became a solid college wrestler. He went from a losing season to being one of the top members on the squad. He recorded a streak of six straight pins last season.

"I've always been a physical wrestler. I'm a strong kid," Nehl said. "(SDSU) Coach (Jason) Liles is an excellent technician. He's made my skills 10 times better. I have a physical style and that's the way I have to wrestle."

Nehl is currently facing another obstacle. He is coming off a knee injury and hopes to be back in action soon.

"I'm anxious to compete. That's the toughest part, working out and training hard and not being able to compete," he said. "I'm excited and I'm ready to go. Hopefully, things will go in my favor."
    Nehl no longer drives 100 miles to practice. In fact, he doesn't drive at all. He simply hops on his bike and rides across campus.

And while he has overcome many obstacles already in life, there is one that he will likely always have to hurdle: being from Watauga.

"Nobody knows where that's at," Nehl said. "There's not one person that even pronounces it right. They always say 'Wa-too-ga,' and they ask if we have running water. A lot of times I just say I'm from the Lemmon area."

As Nehl concludes the wrestling chapter of his life in the next two months, there may be more obstacles to overcome, but it is more likely that it will be his opponents who will face the biggest challenge.

"When I walk off the mat, I know I've always done my best," Nehl said. "If somebody beats me, they've earned it." . . .

Go State! ;D
Working...
X