X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diedra Artz (Volleyball) story

http://www.aberdeennews.com/mld/aber...s/13715285.htm

Going Division I

Northwestern volleyball player Diedra Artz has decided to play college volleyball at the top division in the nation and still remain close to home.

Artz, a two-time first-team all-state player, has announced that she will attend South Dakota State University, a Division I school.

"It scared me a little. You don't find too many (Class) B school players at the Division I level. I'm looking forward to the next caliber of play," the 5-foot-8 setter said. "I know it's going to be different but I'm ready for the challenge and looking forward to it."

Artz, who played on three consecutive State B championship teams at Northwestern, had a lot of options.

"It was a tough decision. I had to weigh athletics and academics. I had a lot of good offers. I visited SDSU in October and spoke with the coaches and had a campus tour. I really liked it and enjoyed it. The people were very friendly. I'm so used to this small community. I'm glad the school was friendly," said Artz, who plans to major in athletic training.

This season the SDSU volleyball team had two junior setters.

"The first year I'm looking to get stronger and bond with the team and get used to the transition," she said.
    This spring Artz will play on a local Junior Olympic volleyball team that will include Redfield's Jordan Schaffer and Aberdeen Central's Megan Kusler.

SDSU's volleyball team is coached by Andrew Palileo, who led the Jackrabbits to a second-place finish in the nation at the NCAA II level in 2001.

Last year at the Division I level the Jackrabbits were 16-19. SDSU played teams from Gonzaga, Iowa State, Wake Forest, Georgetown and Kansas State.

The Jackrabbit roster included South Dakota players from Brookings, Sioux Falls, Huron and Belle Fourche. Next season the roster will also list a player from Mellette.

- Sports writer Deb Smith

Go State! ;D

Re: Diedra Artz (Volleyball) story

And people said they wouldn't get to see local kids playing for the Jacks anymore.

Comment

Working...
    X