• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quote of the day

http://www.minotdailynews.com/news/s...new13news1.asp

Good for the vine

By Marvin Baker, Staff Writer

An open winter in northwestern North Dakota can be catastrophic for crops that lie dormant, however, a Williston researcher believes a fledgling grape crop won't likely be harmed because of the mild temperatures the state has experienced.

Lorna Bradbury, a horticulturalist at the Williston Research Extension Center, has been recording a grape-growing project since its inception in 2003. She said the bigger concern is a late-spring cold snap.  .  .  .

Bradbury's project was helped along financially by the Agricultural Products and Utilization Commission and includes 16 original varieties and two that have recently been added.

They include Valiant, a red grape developed at South Dakota State University, and E.S. 12-18-86. Valiant is one of the hardiest juice and jelly grapes, while E.S. 12-18-86 is considered one of the most hardy wine grapes.

"Valiant does really well and homeowners have those grape vines all over the place," Bradbury said. "You can get them through nurseries. They're very acceptable."

Although Valiant isn't the ideal wine grape, Bradbury said test batches of wine from the Valiant variety have passed taste tests.

"South Dakota State University makes good wine," she said. "And the clusters are reliable."  .  .  .

That is what I am talking about!   8) ;D 8)

Go State!  ;D

Re: Quote of the day

Too bad you can't find the wine on campus like you can find the ice cream! :'(
    I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Working...
    X