New Sports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Sports

What's the boards opinion on adding some new sports.
    Men's and women's hockey could be a sport that would be able to achieve some good success, and they would have opponets that are a bus ride away(UND, SCSU).
    I was just wondering if there is a possibility that we will add a sport like hockey or men's soccer?

Re: New Sports

I don't see hockey being a good choice for another varsity sport. It takes alot money to fund men's and women's hockey. Despite what some people may say I don't think this area is a real hockey hotbed. It would be hard to add a men's sport like soccer, because I believe Title 9 requirements would neccessitate adding another women's team. There is also facility concerns right now with many existing sports. Track, practice fields for baseball, decent game field for softball, etc. It would be like adding another university in the state. There are better places to stick money right now and, IMO, no really viable options for additional varsity sports.

Comment

We already have a men's and women's hockey team. It's only a club team but has a great student following. http://www.achahockey.org/league.php...ueInfoID=26335 gives the rankings of the division we are in. The guys team is more like a fight club though. There is a league tournament here at the larson ice arena friday and saturday. With games at 6 and 8 on Friday and 4 and 6 on Saturday. They are a fun group of guys to watch. Lots of local talent. http://www.achahockey.org/league.php...;seasonID=3511 Is the team roster. GO RABBITS

Comment

I don't see a men's sport being added for a very, very, very long time.

We'll be doing well if we don't have to eliminate a men's sport in the next few years. Hopefully the fundraising will increase so that that won't happen.

"I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I don't think we're in a position to be adding any sports right now either.

I checked out the Jackrabbit Hockey roster. Those games were fun to watch. I did notice a name, Bill DeBlonk, on the roster. He's been playing since I was in college! Guess that's the benefit of playing a club sport

Comment

SDSU already has more sports than most of its competitors. We have 19 or 21 if you count indoor and outdoor as seperate sports. NDSU has 14, Northern Colorado 16, Creighton 11 for example. Places like Minnesota and Nebraska have 21 or 22.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbit74
              SDSU already has more sports than most of its competitors.  We have 19 or 21 if you count indoor and outdoor as seperate sports.  NDSU has 14, Northern Colorado 16, Creighton 11 for example.  Places like Minnesota and Nebraska have 21 or 22.
              Agreed, we will be subtracting sports before we will be adding any. Not saying we will do it soon, but I know we are looking at trimming some "fat" (which mean costs) as they say.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I think we need to look at cutting back on sports.

Why are we trying to fund 22 sports when most schools that we are looking at competing with are funding 13-16 (UNI, Creighton, Montana et al)?

I keep hearing the department is scraping by and has trouble making ends meet. Our football coaches are begging for better video equipment ($30k minimum) and more full time staff, our mens and women's basketball program need at least 1 more assistant each to compete.

Cutting a few of the non-revenue fringe sports would free up money to improve our major sports and when the ship is rolling along we can always add one of these back again.

Comment

Swimming and Tennis would be the first on my cut list. There is little public knowledge or appreciation of these sports anyway on campus.

Golf would be next, but I would like to see that one kept.

Equestrian, Must of us will never have a clue of what this sport really entails, but if it helps with Title 9 issues we'll have to keep it.

The rest of the sports are untouchable. Some will say wrestling should be cut, but this is a sport where we could see some of our greatest success. Alot of good wrestlers in the region.

Comment

Originally posted by JackTwice
                    I think we need to look at cutting back on sports.  

Why are we trying to fund 22 sports when most schools that we are looking at competing with are funding 13-16 (UNI, Creighton, Montana et al)?

I keep hearing the department is scraping by and has trouble making ends meet.  Our football coaches are begging for better video equipment ($30k minimum) and more full time staff, our mens and women's basketball program need at least 1 more assistant each to compete.

Cutting a few of the non-revenue fringe sports would free up money to improve our major sports and when the ship is rolling along we can always add one of these back again.  
                    I totally disagree with cutting sports PERIOD... In my opinion, if SDSU cannot fund the department as it is today (all sports) then drop equestrian and move back to division II. It is that simple.

I would never forgive SDSU officials if they drop sports golf, tennis whatever just so the football team can have better film equipment.

I would definitely discontinue my donations and purchasing of tickets to SDSU events. Very bad PR move and I would bet many, many others would also discontinue to donate to SDSU.

WE (SDSU) have had, have, and will continue to have excellent student-athletes in non revenue sports. Many that are very proud to compete for this institution. Most (if not all) that are very appreciative of any of the financial assistance they receive to compete.

It's simple raise money, join the Jackrabbit Club etc. If you have great and thanks. If you have not join today!
                    Ask a friend to join.

One last point, SDSU funded then when we were division II (except equestrian). We can (and should) do it at Division I.

Now, back to the original question, I do not think SDSU will add any sport in the near future. But, if it did my money would be on Bowling. NCAA does sponsor it.
                    We...ARE...STATE!
                    SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

Let's bring back men's gymnastics.

Vince Vaughn in the movie, "Old School"
                      AWESOME!!!

Comment

Originally posted by D-town

I totally disagree with cutting sports PERIOD...  In my opinion, if SDSU cannot fund the department as it is today (all sports) then drop equestrian and move back to division II.  It is that simple.  
                        I agree 100%. The "plan" submitted to the Regents and to the legislature was keep all the sports. Believe me, there are plenty watching including alot of State supporters who will be torked off. And I can guarantee if womens tennis and golf get cut there WILL be a lawsuit and SDSU will pay. Even with equestrian the gender numbers are questionable. The scholarship opportunities are not equal, cutting any womens sports is legally unacceptable.

Comment

Originally posted by HoboD
                          I agree 100%.  The "plan" submitted to the Regents and to the legislature was keep all the sports.  Believe me, there are plenty watching including alot of State supporters who will be torked off.    And I can guarantee if womens tennis and golf get cut there WILL be a lawsuit and SDSU will pay.  Even with equestrian the gender numbers are questionable.  The scholarship opportunities are not equal, cutting any womens sports is legally unacceptable.    
                          I'm pretty sure if they did cut sports, and i am not saying they should, they wouldn't just cut the women's side. Most likely men's and women's tennis, swimming, golf, etc. would go. I am kind of on the fence on the whole issue but i do agree that there are a lot of naysayers who are waiting for SDSU to cut programs just so they can say i told you so.

I do know one thing though, if we can't field competitive teams in these sports it will make it much more attractive to cut them. The tennis team is pretty terrible, they lost to USF for pete's sake like 7-0.
                          "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

I have no idea if I'm correct here, but I have to believe the women's tennis teams' entire budget is less than what the football team pays for new decals each year. Now, that may be a little exageration, but I bet it's not far off. My point is that cutting a sport like women's tennis would probably do little to change anything in the athletic budget.
                            "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

The budgets for tennis and swimming probably wouldn't effect the total athletic budget. They also probably do little in making us more or less compliant with Title 9. The truth is that all they really do is cost more money with little effect on anything. If they were cut, all we would hear is a small, vocal minority. The majority of people around the state and students on campus wouldn't even realize that they were gone, let alone care either.

Comment

Working...
                              X