Athletic facilities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Athletic facilities

As SDSU continues to raise more money what should be the priority list to spend it. We all know that raising money for the increased scholarships is first and foremost. What about enhancing our athletic venues, what should be done next. I think we all agree the scoreboard enhancements at Frost and Coughlin are very nice. The new Wellness Center will be a nice recruiting tool for all students. I assume the current weightrooms and Accelaration Center will become even more exclusive to Jacks athletes. Those venues still pale in comparison to our DI competitiors. Stig was asked recently why are we losing some of our top South Dakota athletes to NDSU and he said plain and simple "facilities". NDSU's athletic program is certainly better funded. I think we all know it will take a lot of money to close the gap. The coaches are doing the best they can with what we have. Things like the Stan Marshall certainly helps. I would personally like to see the following:

1) East side Grandstand at Coughlin with chairback seating.
    2) New Lockerooms at Coughlin
    3) Replace old bleacher seating at Frost.
    4) State of the art weightlifting and training area.
    5) Larger coaching staffs

What else should be a priority. I know NDSU has a vast superior videotaping capabilities that is so important in today's athletic world. We have made huge steps in recent years, but have a long way to go.

Re: Athletic facilities

Originally posted by JACKGUYII
    As SDSU continues to raise more money what should be the priority list to spend it. We all know that raising money for the increased scholarships is first and foremost. What about enhancing our athletic venues, what should be done next. I think we all agree the scoreboard enhancements at Frost and Coughlin are very nice. The new Wellness Center will be a nice recruiting tool for all students. I assume the current weightrooms and Accelaration Center will become even more exclusive to Jacks athletes. Those venues still pale in comparison to our DI competitiors. Stig was asked recently why are we losing some of our top South Dakota athletes to NDSU and he said plain and simple "facilities". NDSU's athletic program is certainly better funded. I think we all know it will take a lot of money to close the gap. The coaches are doing the best they can with what we have. Things like the Stan Marshall certainly helps. I would personally like to see the following:

1) East side Grandstand at Coughlin with chairback seating.
    2) New Lockerooms at Coughlin
    3) Replace old bleacher seating at Frost.
    4) State of the art weightlifting and training area.
    5) Larger coaching staffs

What else should be a priority. I know NDSU has a vast superior videotaping capabilities that is so important in today's athletic world. We have made huge steps in recent years, but have a long way to go.
    Blasephemy at its best here. To suggest that NDSU is ahead of us in anything is a real no-no on this board. So I found out when I said the Basketball program at NDSU was ahead of us in terms of recruiting. So look out you may be agreeing with me when you suggest larger coaching staffs such as in men's basketball.

The truth of the matter is I agree with everything you said and I suspect the project board includes all those items listed. Now the only thing missing is the money to go ahead and do this.

Comment

I think adding a state-of-the art film study for both the football team and basketball team would do more good in terms of winning games than anyone could imagine. More than better bleachers and locker rooms. Let's just say that after having spent countless hours watching film of opposing teams, it truly does help. But, the way we were doing it when I was there was no more sophisticated than the average Joe and his VCR at home. Yes, VCR. Just took too long and was too clumsy to get max value from watching the film.

Having the ability to digitally break down film by down and distance, pass v. run, certain plays, etc. would be a great tool for our football team. Considering we lost most of our games by a very close margin, is it that unrealistic to think a better film study system may have won us one of those games? I don't think so. I just wish I had some more money left over after buying diapers to really help with the cause. I will say, that if some things go my way in the upcoming months I'll be giving some more money to SDSU and my first choice is the film study equipment.

Sorry for the long rant.
      "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum
        I think adding a state-of-the art film study for both the football team and basketball team would do more good in terms of winning games than anyone could imagine.  More than better bleachers and locker rooms.  Let's just say that after having spent countless hours watching film of opposing teams, it truly does help.  But, the way we were doing it when I was there was no more sophisticated than the average Joe and his VCR at home.  Yes, VCR.  Just took too long and was too clumsy to get max value from watching the film.  

Having the ability to digitally break down film by down and distance, pass v. run, certain plays, etc. would be a great tool for our football team.  Considering we lost most of our games by a very close margin, is it that unrealistic to think a better film study system may have won us one of those games?  I don't think so.  I just wish I had some more money left over after buying diapers to really help with the cause.  I will say, that if some things go my way in the upcoming months I'll be giving some more money to SDSU and my first choice is the film study equipment.

Sorry for the long rant.
        MilwaukeeJacksAlumni-I wonder if the football alumni who understand so well how the film study technology is so lacking at SDSU and yet is such an integral part of the game would take up a special rallying cry around this obvious need. I'm not a football alum, but would contribute to it.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII

MilwaukeeJacksAlumni-I wonder if the football alumni who understand so well how the film study technology is so lacking at SDSU and yet is such an integral part of the game would take up a special rallying cry around this obvious need. I'm not a football alum, but would contribute to it.  
          From some of the stuff i have seen come to football alumni, this is in the works.  

"I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

If you are interested in ponying up some extra dough for the video equipment contact Stig or one of the coaches. They did put out a request to football alumni asking for $30000 to buy a minimum set up.

Comment

I'm sorry I haven't replied to my rant, but yes, the request to the alumni is in the works. I didn't even realize Stig was still working with the old equipment until he sent that letter. Again, when someone wins the lottery...
              "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

i drew up a picture yesterday on how AWESOME coughlin alumni stadium would look with east side stands, south side stands, and a new locker room buliding. i'll try to post it but im not sure if its going to work.

Comment

Most important now would be to build a new weight room facility. I also think somewhere down the road we will need an indoor FB practice facility. Probably packaged with an new indoor track. The weight room and indoor track would help out all of the athletes. One other facility that would benefit all of the athletes would be to build a new state of the art athletic training room with enough space for all programs.

Comment

Has there been some talk of a new building located at the site of the current outdoor track?

Comment

Originally posted by SPORTSFAN
                      Has there been some talk of a new building located at the site of the current outdoor track?
                      Why do you ask or care? Most of your posts seem to just take a shot at SDSU rather than any kind of meaningful dialogue. The comment about Koupal under the Natalie Carda thread is an example.

Comment

WOW!

Comment

Why ask unless you've heard something yourself? What have you heard?

Comment

SPORTSFAN has a way of saying things that crawls up under your skin and lead to a very irritated feeling. Its best to just ignore that feeling and wait it out. He rarely has the facts or at least he isn't willing to discuss what he implies he knows. I don't have a lot of patience for that type of personality. Again, thats my problem.

Now, I thought someone had mentioned something about this at one time. Perhaps I'm delusional.
                            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I will take you question at face value. No I have not heard anything specifically regarding the current location of the outdoor track. In SDSU master plan they plan to build a track north of CAS. Not sure where it sits on the priority list. My guess as SDSU continues to grow something will happen. I just hope it is not a parking lot.
                              We...ARE...STATE!
                              SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

Working...
                              X