• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jacks get Wrestling Recruit

Everson commits to wrestle at SDSU
    Thursday, March 30, 2006

By ANDY RENNECKE, The Daily Republic

Mitchell High senior Adam Everson has verbally committed to wrestle at South Dakota State University next season.

He will join his older brother, Andy, who will be a senior next season with the Jacks.

Everson said he had talked with coaches from the University of Minnesota, where his other brother Matt wrestles, North Dakota State and the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. However, he said his final decision was easy to make.

Everson won a Class A state title at 119 pounds as a junior and took third this year at 125.

“I was dead-set on SDSU and I’ve always wanted to wrestle with Andy because I never got the opportunity before,” Everson said. “Andy helped shape my wrestling style and I’ve watched him so much over the years. I’ve met all the wrestlers on the SDSU team and got along with them really well and liked the coach. I see myself fitting in there.”

Andy had a 14-9 record this year for the Jacks at 157 and 165 pounds, but his season was cut short due to injuries. Next season will be the first that SDSU can compete in the postseason and for a national title after making the switch to Division I two years ago.

Next year, Everson said SDSU will have a spot open at 125 or 130 pounds for him.

“I plan on wrestling varsity as a true freshman,” Everson said. “I want to be the first Division I All-American at SDSU. That would be quite an honor if I could pull that off.”

Everson will join a slew of Mitchell-area wrestlers who are at SDSU. They include freshman Ryan Meyer (Parkston), senior Chad Herrboldt (Scotland), freshman Nick Herrboldt (Scotland) and sophomore Martin Konechne (Kimball).

Everson said he will officially sign with SDSU in the middle of April. This past weekend, he wrestled at the senior nationals in Pittsburgh, Pa., where he lost two close matches.

Everson, who was ranked No. 17 at 125 going into the tournament, lost a 6-5 decision to the No. 14-ranked wrestler in his first match last Friday and then lost in double overtime to the No. 30-ranked wrestler in his second match Saturday. In his second match, Everson said several questionable calls led to him losing.

“It was tied 1-1 going into double overtime,” he said. “I had the kid beat, but there were four questionable calls that didn’t go my way. I definitely outwrestled the kid. He beat me in double overtime criteria. The score should of have been 8-1, but I didn’t get the points.

Everson had 72 other wrestlers in his weight class, all of whom were state champions.

“I knew it was going to be tough to place going into the tournament,” Everson said. “It’s definitely the toughest tournament in the nation. It’s very disappointing looking back at it, but I lost to two very good wrestlers. It was an awesome atmosphere. I knew I was going to be the underdog. There were 800 state champions at that meet and nobody knew who I was. I had to try and make my own waves.”

Everson is traveling with two of his former Mitchell High teammates this weekend for a tournament in Omaha, Neb. Everson said he, Stratton Havlik and Marcus Rothlisberger will compete at the tournament.

Re: Jacks get Wrestling Recruit

Looks like a great addition for Liles. Keep up the good work coach.

Comment

Originally posted by twism
      Everson commits to wrestle at SDSU“I plan on wrestling varsity as a true freshman,” Everson said. “I want to be the first Division I All-American at SDSU. That would be quite an honor if I could pull that off.”
      I like his attitude.
      "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

We definitely need to keep recruiting athletes that love the challenge of competing against the best.

Comment

Working...
        X