Your thoughts on facilities that are needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your thoughts on facilities that are needed

Lets make a list of the facilities we feel are needed for each of the sports on campus. Please only add to the list if you are knowledgeable about the program.

There are two lists. The first is "Within the next 5 years" meaning the need is fairly critical. The second is "Within the next 10 years," meaning a realistic long term goal.

I'll start:

Within 5 years
    M & W tennis. Need 6 indoor courts on campus. It is totally unrealistic to try and run any type of collegiate tennis program in the the midwest without indoor courts. No quality recruit will consider the program without them. All of the Big Sky and Mid con conference members have both M and W tennis and indoor facilities.

Within 10 years
    M & W tennis. 4 additional outdoor courts on campus.

Re: Your thoughts on facilities that are needed

I would like to see new east stands built at CAS. The improvements at CAS have helped, but it is still a very outdated facility, and we could really benefit from a new press box and suites. I think the suites could really be popular with the cold weather. We also need new locker rooms, and that could be part of the east stands. Something like what like Cal Poly is building would be pretty ideal (see image).

We would also need a big donor like they had. I think First Bank and Trust Stadium at Coughlin Alumni Field has a nice ring to it.

A new multi purpose indoor facility with a 300m indoor track and like an 80 yard field would be awesome. Also include some indoor tennis courts for good measure. We also need a new outdoor track. Put a new soccer field in the infield of the track and we would cover both of those sports. They also need to finish the baseball and softball facilities. I wish the athletic department would put out some info for these facilities, like some renderings and whatnot. Oh we also need some outdoor tennis courts. I think they turned the old ones by the dorms into parking now. It's great that we have a working relationship with the city of Brookings to use the softball complex, the soccer complex, Hillcrest tennis courts, and Shelden field for baseball, but we need to get these sports on campus again. If we were able to build all these facilities within the next 5-10 years that would be ideal. Then we can start on improving Frost!

Oh, also include new video technology and new training equipment along the way.

Comment

I especially like the mountains in the background! I can see it now, "Jacks open 2010 ski season hosting Colorado!"

Comment

Here is a link to what would probably be our dream indoor fb facility.

http://www.rolltide.com/Facilities/5095.asp

Comment

i'm pretty sure the football stadium updates will happen within the next four years or so to become DI compliant. now i don't know how much say students and the community will have in these up dates but i hope we have some say in this issue, because the high school plays up there too.

Comment

If the high school or community wants much say in the project they will probably have to fork over some of the $$$. At least that's the way it should be.

Originally posted by thebluehatman
            i'm pretty sure the football stadium updates will happen within the next four years or so to become DI compliant.  now i don't know how much say students and the community will have in these up dates but i hope we have some say in this issue, because the high school plays up there too.
            "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979
              If the high school or community wants much say in the project they will probably have to fork over some of the $$$.  At least that's the way it should be.  
              I believe BHS and SDSU have a great working relationship.

Ex. 1) Power outage at SDSU when the women had a game. BHS comes through by shuffling some activities so SDSU can play at the high school. Ex. 2) SDSU's cooperation and assistance in the girls state AA tourney. BTW, it was the highest attended state girls bball tourney in SD. Ex. 3) Lights at Coughlin.

I'm sure the admin at SDSU would, at the very least, consider what BHS has to say. If the BHS community wants some serious input, I'm sure some $$ would have to come along with that.

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman
                i'm pretty sure the football stadium updates will happen within the next four years or so to become DI compliant.  now i don't know how much say students and the community will have in these up dates but i hope we have some say in this issue, because the high school plays up there too.
                What needs to be done to become DI compliant? Is there something new that has come up recently that would require some changes to the stadium?

Comment

i remember overhearing a conversation with a couple big name people in the athletic department last spring talking about facilities and becoming compliant in football...the issue at hand is that the football stadium isnt "enclosed" and the bleacher seating on the east side needs to become permanent and the north side has to get some form of seating or enclosure. the south side is "enclosed" due to the massive scoreboard.

Comment

Unless women start playing football, "compliance" has absolutely nothing to do with Coughlin Alumni Stadium.

Comment

When compared to other D1AA stadiums, CAS is very nice. I think if the press box were more attractive it woud spruce up the apperance considerably.
                      With the improvements that were completed last year CAS isnt a bad facility at all.
                      Not to take this thread on a tangent, but most SDSU fans need perspective when discussing facilities. Yes there needs to be some upgrades, tennis, track, locker rooms. but we're very spoiled with FROST being a premier arena. Most schools dont have what we have for most sports.

Comment

I think everyone could at least agree that it would be very nice to have permanent seating on the east side of CAS, regardless of compliance issues.

Suites would be Sweet!!
                        “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by Texas_Jacks_Fan
                          When compared to other D1AA stadiums, CAS is very nice. I think if the press box were more attractive it woud spruce up the apperance considerably.
                          With the improvements that were completed last year CAS isnt a bad facility at all.
                          Not to take this thread on a tangent, but most SDSU fans need perspective when discussing facilities. Yes there needs to be some upgrades, tennis, track, locker rooms. but we're very spoiled with FROST being a premier arena. Most schools dont have what we have for most sports.
                          I think most fans have the proper perspective, but let's face it Coughlin has a long way to go to become a real recruiting tool and more fan friendly. I think its a nice pure football facility and the new scoreboards have added to the atmosphere. The wooden seating is very uncomfortable, the pressbox is deplorable and we do desparately need new lockerooms and a second grandstand with concessions, suites etc. I also think Frost has a ways to go to be a "premiere" facility. Again the scoreboards are very nice. I would like to see a complete bowl with chairback seating in the upper deck. I think there are some lighting improvements that are needed. I also would like to see something done with the old pressbox on the west side ie. suites etc. If we start filling Frost again the lower concessions are not adequate. We also need to expand and renovate the varsity weightlifting areas as they don't compare to our other DI brethren. The trophy room needs to be renovated as this is the showcase for recruits and their parents. I have not seen the basketball lockers but imagine they need improvements. Many DI programs have private lounges and video rooms for their teams. These are just a few things I can think of. We have good facilities, but to win the recruiting wars we need to greatly increase what we have as the as the coaches
                          and administration know well. It will take a lot of money.

Comment

I think a wish list is great, but can anyone honestly feel that CAS or Frost deserve upgrades without considering the non-revenue sports at all? I know FB and MBB are supposed to be the cash cows and therefore need facilities to attract the athletes needed to produce the W's to keep the $$'s rolling in. But if we focus soley on those two areas why not just cut enough sports to get to the NCAA minimum required, stay Title IX compliant and be like every other small DI school out there. While we're at it, cut football and pump all of our money into MBB and become Gonzaga. Ok, last statement is a little overboard, but you get the picture.

Comment

I think a wish list is great, but can anyone honestly feel that CAS or Frost deserve upgrades without considering the non-revenue sports at all? I know FB and MBB are supposed to be the cash cows and therefore need facilities to attract the athletes needed to produce the W's to keep the $$'s rolling in. But if we focus soley on those two areas why not just cut enough sports to get to the NCAA minimum required, stay Title IX compliant and be like every other small DI school out there. While we're at it, cut football and pump all of our money into MBB and become Gonzaga. Ok, last statement is a little overboard, but you get the picture.
                              That's just it, they are the cash cows and the money they bring in will help pay for the NON-REVENUE sports' new facilities and scholarships. People always seem to get ticked, thinking all the money goes towards football and basketball on this campus. Honestly, right now it should, once football has enough scholarships to play DIA schools and the basketball teams create more of a following, the athletic dept. will start seeing some money and pump it into to other programs.

On the topic at hand, I think we need a indoor/fieldhouse type facility that can be utilized by baseball, softball, volleyball, tennis, indoor track, and a large enough area that can be used by football when needed. It this was built next to Coughlin, new locker rooms and coaches rooms could be part of the building. Building a permanet east side bleachers along with the construction. Also an outdoor track complex needs to be built.

In the future, It wouldn't take much to make the baseball field suitable for practice and they might as well start over on the softball field north of Coughlin. Is it just me or does there seem to be a slight hill seperating the outfield from the infield.

Comment

Working...
                              X