Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skyforce in the D-League:  Good for SDSU

Argus article: Chasing NBA link is 'bittersweet' move
    The D-League, which now has 13 teams and would like to reach 15 by next season, is far from perfect. In 2005-06, seven of its eight teams drew less than 2,100 fans a game - and Roanoke, Va., and Fayetteville, N.C., could be headed for the graveyard.

With player signings handled though the league, Sioux Falls also loses the advantage of luring top players by touting its call-up success and perks.

The days of seeing veterans such as Randy Livingston and Anthony Goldwire on the Arena floor are probably over as well.

"It changes my job a little bit, because there is no recruiting anymore," says Skyforce coach Dave Joerger, who figures to stay in town unless an NBA job arises. "In the CBA, we always felt like, 'Why wouldn't you want to come to Sioux Falls, play in front of 3,500 people, and be part of team that has had 16 players called up in the last three years?'
    Is the Skyforce a net positive or negative for SDSU's D-I program? Negative in that it's a competitor for the basketball fan dollar, or positive in that it may be a perceived recruiting advantage to have an NBA D-League team just down the road?

Discuss . . .
    "I think we'll be OK"

Re: Skyforce in the D-League:  Good for SDSU

From everything I've read, the Skyforce was already one of the bigger drawing teams in the CBA. I'm not sure just because they're now part of the D-league that they'll all of sudden draw a ton more fans. I wish them continued success, don't get me wrong. Their success is good for SD. However, I don't see them all of a sudden drawing a bunch of new fans.
    "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Working...
    X