Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SDSU Wellness Center

Originally posted by SD-STATE
    Speaking of tracks, SDSU and Brookings High school might have the worst track and field facilities around. Does anybody have the scoop on this situation. A revamped track complex on campus with some help from Brookings high would be alright to me. Could open up the possibilities of bringing in some meets both high school and college. I'm not sure how South Dakota does there state track meets, but wouldn't that be a big draw of people into Brookings.
    It is my understanding that BHS (school District) is waiting for SDSU to build its new track complex. I do not think there is any plans for the Bobcat Backers or BHS to assist with funding for this, but I may be wrong. I know BHS host one meet a year with a few teams (six lane track) and that works for them.

As far as SDSU or Brookings hosting the State championships, it will not happen under the current format. Sioux Falls and Rapid City are the only cities big enough (hotels) to host them. I know at one time it cycled on a three year period with SF hosting it two years and RC hosting one year. That being Said with the Three Classes for Track the meet is also in Brandon and maybe West Central on the first day besides Howard Wood Field. Then everything moves to Howard Hood for the finals. I believe it is a two day event. In Rapid City (Black Hills) I think it is at Ohara Stadium and I think in Spearfish and maybe Douglas? I know the SDHSAA was looking at changing it to SF every year because RC field wasn't able to accomodate the crowds.

A nice track would definitely improve the Track Program and I think it would be utilized by high schools as well. Most likely for Conference meets with the smaller towns in the area that do not have track facilities and Brookings as well. Obviously, there are many areas that need to be addressed with regards to athletics and facilities and to many these improvements cannot come fast enough, but it is wise to be patient. My guess after the scholarship drive is over and hopefully achieved, SDSU may announce another drive for facilities and upkeep.
    We...ARE...STATE!
    SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

Originally posted by D-town

As far as SDSU or Brookings hosting the State championships, it will not happen under the current format.  Sioux Falls and Rapid City are the only cities big enough (hotels) to host them.  I know at one time it cycled on a three year period with SF hosting it two years and RC hosting one year.  That being Said with the Three Classes for Track the meet is also in Brandon and maybe West Central on the first day besides Howard Wood Field.  Then everything moves to Howard Hood for the finals.  I believe it is a two day event.  In Rapid City (Black Hills) I think it is at Ohara Stadium and I think in Spearfish and maybe Douglas? I know the SDHSAA was looking at changing it to SF every year because RC field wasn't able to accomodate the crowds.
      When the High School State Meet is West River, the first day events are held in Rapid City (Tech's O Hara field); Spearfish and Sturgis.  Second day events are all moved to O'Hara field.  The problem:  not enough seating at O'Hara.

It seems conceivable that the first day's events when the meet is held east river, could include Brookings if there was a proper facility.  Right now, the first day events are usually held in Sioux Falls, Brandon and Canton.  

Comment

Here are highlights from a Collegian story that goes into detail on this project:

http://www.sdsucollegian.com/media/p...ucollegian.com

Approval sought for wellness center plan
        Students may see increase in General Activity Fee

By: Shayla Waugh

A preliminary facility statement to construct a student wellness and recreation center is being sent by SDSU to the South Dakota Board of Regents and the South Dakota Legislature for approval.

If the revised plan is approved, SDSU students will experience a per-credit increase of between $2 to $3 in the General Activity Fee (GAF). The updated project will allow for expansion on a prior wellness center project. The addition of recreational facilities onto the wellness center project will raise project costs from $6 million to $12 million.

The facilities in the revised plan include a walking track, cardio workout space, weight room, aerobic studio, multipurpose recreation courts, climbing walls, lockers, showers, offices, varsity women's locker facilities, student health and counseling center and handball or racquetball courts. . . .

The increase will raise SDSU's current GAF to between $20.55 and $21.55. Compared to South Dakota's five other universities' GAFs, the Students' Association says this will place SDSU below Dakota State University and the University of South Dakota.

Michael Reger, executive vice president for administration at SDSU, said the project began in 1993 and included a master plan for student health, student physical education, varsity athletics and student recreation. The project cost estimate for the facility was set around $14 million.

According to the revised preliminary facility statement, the original plan was approved by the Board of Regents and the Legislature. The approval was contingent upon funding the project with donations and gifts to the university.

Reger said the original wellness project did not receive enough funding to begin construction because more financial support was received for the Performing Arts Center, a project which was also developed at the time.

Prior to the creation of the revised preliminary facility statement, building of a $6 million wellness center was set to begin July 1, 2006, pending the passsgr of a varsity ladies' locker room renovation bill in the Legislature this spring.

Brunner said recreational additions to the facility would reduce current conflicts between students and community members and the university's varsity athletics. He said the statement was created because in the long run, building both the wellness facilities and recreational facilities at one time rather than in two phases will be more cost efficient. This will better meet the needs of SDSU, than the $6 million wellness facility. . . .

Brunner said he is optimistic the Board of Regents will approve the updated plan due to large student support.

"When there is a lot of support from the university, I feel the Board of Regents will take note of this and also be supportive. This project is something that needs to be completed. The updated plan is adequate both for SDSU now and in the future," said Brunner.

Brunner said, if approved, building on the facilities can begin July 1 and will take between 18 months and two years to complete. He said this would ensure that students currently living in the dorms would be able to use the facilities before they graduate.

If approved, the facilities will be built as an addition to the HPER Center at SDSU. Reger said the building will be built in a way in which both community members and students can use the center without having to deal with any athletic events occurring at the HPER.

Go State! ;D

Comment

Originally posted by RonRabbit
          Is the track mentioned in the posts one suitable for competition or just a jogging track?  (I have the impression its a jogging track.)  Just curious.
          It is just a jogging track. No spikes, no competition. The actual wellness intramural and rec center won't host any organized athletic practices or events. It will free up the current facilities for athletics and help with scheduling conflicts. Especially with Frost and the weight rooms. Organized student events (dodgeball tourny etc) or club sports will have some limited access. The object being to always have something open. For example, if there is a dodgeball tourny in the multipurpose room then the courts must be free. If the courts are being used then the multipurpose room must be free. This way there is always an open location for general recreation. The exact policy is not in place but that is the general idea.

We are having some difficulty because the construction costs came back higher then the $1.35 approved. There is also a concern because this is a high use facility that operating costs will be higher. The current number we are now working with is $2.75 per credit hour. This still keeps us cheaper then USD and DSU but it is twice the amount previously approved. So far we still have student support but less enthusiasm. We did do $3 per credit for the union so $2.75 is not out of reach. I'll have another posting on Monday night late with an update.

Comment

It seems conceivable that the first day's events when the meet is held east river, could include Brookings if there was a proper facility.  Right now, the first day events are usually held in Sioux Falls, Brandon and Canton.  
            It switches through the years. Madison, Beresford, and Lennox are all used as well.

Comment

If a person takes an average of 15 credits a semester, and take in even a three dollar per credit increase, you're looking at 90 extra dollars a with the two semesters in the year. If my calculations are accurate.....
              What's an extra 90$ when you're spending thousands any way, I signed the petition with out hesitation.

Comment

Thanks for signing the petition. He is right about the $90. UND students are paying $100. The $2.75 puts the number around $80 a year

Comment

$90 is an average weekend's worth of "entertainment expenses" for most college kids. I doubt that would seem out of line for most looking at approving the additional expense. I hope the student's see it that way.
                  "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Only if you're spending your parents' money!

Comment

RRabbit,

Do you understand what the Wellness Center is?

Go State!  ;D

Comment

Wow. Maybe someone should put together the Cliff Notes for RRabbit so he can stop being so bitter about the Wellness Center. Here's a quick thought...start with el_presidente's post on November 9th, read thru all of the subsequent posts, pause, process, comprehend, then end the bitterness when you realize the Wellness Center is for the University as a whole, not just for the student athletes. And when property tax revenues start paying for University facilities, then SDSU will be able to afford facilities like all of the school districts in the state.
                        I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Is all this fuss about this one comment?

Is the track mentioned in the posts one suitable for competition or just a jogging track? (I have the impression its a jogging track.) Just curious.
                          Maybe he's expecting more, our usd brotheren have an indoor track, as crappy as that might be, so does Northern I believe, I know Mankato has one. We do not even have an outdoor track suitable for competition. Patience aside, why would we even at a d2 level let facilities slide like this. Or a baseball field for that matter? I see it being cheaper to pave over a practice soccer field and replacing it else where than a baseball field. I personally would like to see us keep things on campus as much as possible. What's the reasoning behind all of this? I'm new here and just looking for some answers.

Comment

Originally posted by SD-STATE
                            Is all this fuss about this one comment?

Maybe he's expecting more, our usd brotheren have an indoor track, as crappy as that might be, so does Northern I believe, I know Mankato has one. We do not even have an outdoor track suitable for competition. Patience aside, why would we even at a d2 level let facilities slide like this. Or a baseball field for that matter? I see it being cheaper to pave over a practice soccer field and replacing it else where than a baseball field. I personally would like to see us keep things on campus as much as possible. What's the reasoning behind all of this? I'm new here and just looking for some answers.
                            These are good questions. Isn't there a campus master plan somewhere? It would no doubt answer those and many other questions. I have no idea how to get my hands on it, though. Anyone?

Comment

There is a master plan. Vice President Reger often gives talks about the plan. I'm sure he would share that information if someone would request it.

That said, in a perfect world SDSU would have appropriate facilities for all the sports. At the present time, a track facility is not a high priority. The highest priority of the Athletic Department is to endow the scholarship fund.

If you recall, when the Board of Regents allowed SDSU to move to Division I they made the stipulation that no additional state dollars or student dollars would fund the effort. That means the effort must be achieved by getting revenue through three sources: donors, corporate sponsors, and increased ticket sales.

The reality is that many of these same donors and corporate sponsors are also being solicited for other initiatives by the university. A prime example is the Jackrabbit Guarantee. Athletics isn't the only game in town.

The Athletic Department is trying very hard to bring new donors into the program. That takes time.

A track facility is going to have to wait.

Comment

Originally posted by Alumguy
                                A track facility is going to have to wait.
                                I think that's the reality but there are those who are trying to figure something out about a track facility. In the past, SDSU was an excellent track and field school but it needs a facility badly. In the meantime, building up scholarships is the goal.

Just a comment by an earlier poster about USD's indoor facility. The Dakota Dome may not be everyone's favorite place but it is a very good indoor track facility.

Comment

Working...
                                X