• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ron Lenz Retiring

http://www.wnax.com/page.php?category_id=265

SDSU SID RETIRING
    The long time Sports Information Director at
    South Dakota State University is stepping down.

Ron Lenz has been the SID at SDSU since September
    of 1977. He will retire at the end of June.
    The native of Sisseton was Sports Editor of
    the Watertown Public Opinion and spent five years
    as the SID at the University of South Dakota before
    coming to SDSU.
    Lenz intends to spend more time with his
    wife and family.

Re: Ron Lenz Retiring

Good for Ron! He's had a long and successful run as SID. I hope his retirement is full and fun!
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Thank you Ron, enjoy your retirement.

Go State!

Comment

It will be sad for the SDSU atheltic department to be losing a good chunk of its institutional memory, but I am happy for Ron and wish him well in retirement.

Comment

maybe the new sid will answer the phone at the basketball games Jackrabbits House of Love. Ron is a great guy and we students will miss heckling him to answer the phone as Jackrabbits House of Love. Best of luck Ron

Comment

Way to go Ron!! No need to go any further!

Comment

Best of luck to Foggy!!!!! He was always the "Dean" of SID's in the NCC and his knowledge will be missed. I hope he'll be sticking around Brookings to root for the Jacks as a fan!

SUPERBUNNY
              MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

http://www.sdsucollegian.com/media/s...ucollegian.com

This story about Ron is on the front page of this week's Collegian. They do need to adjust their picture sizes on the website, so it isn't very user-friendly

That's the ballgame!
                'Living historian of SDSU sports' to retire after 29 years
                By: Brian Kimmes

Ron Lenz, South Dakota State University's sports information director for the past 29 years, will retire this summer. His last day is June 30.

Lenz was hired as sports information director (SID) in 1977. He graduated from SDSU in 1970. As a student at SDSU, Lenz worked in the sports information department. Before returning to SDSU as SID, he worked at the University of South Dakota for a five years.

Lenz has been SID through massive changes in sports information.

"A lot happens in 29 years," said Lenz.

When Lenz first started, fax machines and computers were not used. He did not even have a hand-held calculator. Now, everything is done on computers and the Internet.

"For old guys like me, it is hard to keep up with," said Lenz. "The students who work in the office know more about the Internet than I do."

(continued on the Collegian website)

Best wishes, Ron!

Comment

Nice article about Ron Lenz, I like one his favorite moments.
                  Lenz said one of his favorite moments at SDSU is one that a lot of people probably do not remember. In 1981, ABC had a contract to broadcast one non-Division-I football game per year. The network selected the SDSU vs. University of North Dakota game at Coughlin Alumni Stadium. The Network sent out the ABC Monday Night Football crew to cover the game. Lenz said in this business to work with people like that is a treat.
                  Lets see 1981 would have made me 13 years old, I thought I remembered seeing a SDSU game on ABC a long time ago, does anybody else remember anything about this game.

Comment

I remember that game.  It was late enough in the season that it was a very cold day and a lot of people decided to stay home and take a very unusual opportunity to watch the Jacks on TV.  This included the people I was planning to go to the game with so I ended up sitting with a bunch of people I didn't know.  It was a regional broadcast, not national.  

They asked all of the students to sit on the east side because the cameras were placed in the west grandstand and they wanted it to look like there was a big crowd.

If I remember correctly, UND was predicted to win this game but SDSU won it.  In fact, I think that SDSU controlled the tempo of the game most of the way through.

I also seem to remember that there was a big name commentator that called the game but I cannot remember who it was.

As was pointed out, this was a long time ago and I wouldn't place a whole lot of faith in my memory of the game.  I could be wrong about just about any of the details above.

Comment

I will guarantee you that if you ask Ron he could probably tell you the temp at kickoff and what he served in the pressbox that day (probably chili).

That guy has a recollection of events like no one I have ever known and he is always fun to talk to.

Comment

It was Chris Lincoln doing the pbp for the regional ABC broadcast. We still use his spotter cards that he was kind enough to share.
                        The crew pretty much took over the press box with cameras and all that junk.
                        It was a cold and snowy type of great football day, and the Jacks did a number on the Sioux.
                        We have appreciated Rons help so much over the years. While he does get on air with us from time to time, his behind the scenes help has been invaluable.
                        Hopefully he will get a lifetime press pass so he can wander around when ever he wants...

Comment

Working...
                        X