UND gets extension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UND gets extension

I guess UND petitioned for a 30 day extension to make there decision on moving to D-1.  Here is a quote from the GF paper

"UND is getting an extra month to make a decision on a possible move to Division I in all sports. Currently, the Fighting Sioux play Division I hockey but are in Division II in other sports.

The NCAA has granted the school a 30-day extension of the June 1 deadline to declare an exploratory year for 2006-07." (read more...)

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/ind...section=sports

I still have mixed feelings about them moving up.  I think it will increase competion for recruiting.  It will cut down our expenses for travel to some OCC games.  They would be a good canidate for the GWFC.

Until they make a decision  :-X

(\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Re: UND gets extension

http://siouxsports.com/forums/index....p;#entry169498

This is the D-I report, Buning's comments, and Sioux followers comments about the report.

Stay tuned for a decision........

Sometime. ;D

Comment

The new motto for the University of North Dakota: "Which way do we go?"

Feel free to repeat as many times as you feel is necessary :

Comment

Originally posted by NightHawk78
        The new motto for the University of North Dakota: "Which way do we go?"

Feel free to repeat as many times as you feel is necessary :
        My impression of what the report on the UND web site says, based on the brief skim I gave it this afternoon:

"We can go D-I whenever we want to. Of course, getting into a conference might be a problem . . ."
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I spoke with one of their coaches in the last month who indicated at their last department meeting the implication was that they WERE going up.

Comment

I would be shocked if they don't move up. They may not be completely ready to make the move, but they'll make it regardless. They're tired of hearing about NDSU and SDSU getting all the pub.
            "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

[smiley=beer.gif] a toast to the downfall of the ncc. and the rise of the "new" ncc in division 1. if only someone like st. cloud st. or mankato joined us in the move up a level.

Comment

What is SDSU's total athletic budget?

bob you make excellant points about usd or anyother school considering the "move" - however i think your estimate of the athletidc budget is a little low - you say usd has a 4.3M budget and would need to double it to have a shot at success - some budgets to consider:

D1 - MAC Atheltic Budgets:

Akron ---------- 13.096M
                Ball St --------- 13.660M
                Bowling Grn --- 15.016M
                Central MI ----- 16.178M
                Eastern MI ----- 17.257M
                Kent St --------- 14.759M
                Miami (OH) ----- 18.531M
                NO IL ----------- 12.745M
                Ohio ------------ 14.699M
                Toledo ---------- 14.816M
                Western MI ----- 16.564M

now i know these schools have d1 football not d1aa but you would not consider the bulk of these schools achieving much "success" at the d1 level in any sport despite atheltic budgets 3 to 4 times larger.

no iowa ---- 13.714M
                uc-davis --- 12.182M

these two d1-aa schools have budgets approaching the d1 mac schools and have been successful in d1-aa football but not much else

the top d1 football programs have atheltic budgets at the low end of 35M and the high end 75M (ohio state 89M but they were adding onto their stadium that year) typical bcs schools and top bball (ie duke 40M, Indiana 38M) schools seem to be in the 40M to 55M range - thats a long haul to make it big in d1 athletics and that is what these schools are missing on in their studies - their programs are basically over when competing in the 20+ sports they have to fully fund to have a d1 program

there is a place for d2 athletics and yet still have an outstanding academic experience for their students - its a shame the egos of adminstrations and alums push schools into things they shouldn't really do

Comment

Northern Iowa is a top mid-major program in basketball.  Most of the time they beat at least one of their in-state major conference rivals each year, and the MVC is quickly becoming one of the top mid-major conferences in men's basketball.  

To say they are only successful in di-aa football is laughable...and to think they are young in the Division 1 ranks. They moved up about 20 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Mavericks#1

bob you make excellant points about usd or anyother school considering the "move" - however i think your estimate of the athletidc budget is a little low - you say usd has a 4.3M budget and would need to double it to have a shot at success - some budgets to consider:

D1 - MAC Atheltic Budgets:

Akron ---------- 13.096M
                    Ball St --------- 13.660M
                    Bowling Grn --- 15.016M
                    Central MI ----- 16.178M
                    Eastern MI ----- 17.257M
                    Kent St --------- 14.759M
                    Miami (OH) ----- 18.531M
                    NO IL ----------- 12.745M
                    Ohio ------------ 14.699M
                    Toledo ---------- 14.816M
                    Western MI ----- 16.564M

now i know these schools have d1 football not d1aa but you would not consider the bulk of these schools achieving much "success" at the d1 level in any sport despite atheltic budgets 3 to 4 times larger.

no iowa ---- 13.714M
                    uc-davis --- 12.182M

these two d1-aa schools have budgets approaching the d1 mac schools and have been successful in d1-aa football but not much else

the top d1 football programs have atheltic budgets at the low end of 35M and the high end 75M (ohio state 89M but they were adding onto their stadium that year) typical bcs schools and top bball (ie duke 40M, Indiana 38M) schools seem to be in the 40M to 55M range - thats a long haul to make it big in d1 athletics and that is what these schools are missing on in their studies - their programs are basically over when competing in the 20+ sports they have to fully fund to have a d1 program

there is a place for d2 athletics and yet still have an outstanding academic experience for their students - its a shame the egos of adminstrations and alums push schools into things they shouldn't really do

Mavericks#1, do not re-post full articles found on other boards without attribution. You may consider this a warning.
                    http://www.d2football.com/board/inde...st&p=11546
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I am still waiting for an answer to this question.

Comment

I am still waiting for an answer to this question.
                        Idiots don't deserve answers. Must be nice to be so ignorant as to not even realize.....
                        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I didn't realize this was the smackboard.

Comment

I didn't realize this was the smackboard.
                            Perhaps if your post a) had something to do with the topic of the thread and b) was not stolen from another person's posting on another board, it might have been more warmly received.
                            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

mmmm plagarism. heh that should result in termination from the group seeing how it gets you a permanent F in a class.

Comment

Working...
                              X