Argus Gets Slapped...by Denver DI fans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Argus Gets Slapped...by Denver DI fans

Looks like the Argus got a wake up call from out of state as to their poor DI Independent Baseball Tourney coverage:

I am writing this with the hope that you never get to host a NCAA Division I baseball tournament again.......As far as I'm concerned, you insulted the teams and families that came to Sioux Falls.

Patricia M. Wagner

Denver

Read the whole letter:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...606140322/1053

Re: Argus Gets Slapped...by Denver DI fans

Originally posted by Jacks99
    Looks like the Argus got a wake up call from out of state as to their poor DI Independent Baseball Tourney coverage:

I am writing this with the hope that you never get to host a NCAA Division I baseball tournament again.......As far as I'm concerned, you insulted the teams and families that came to Sioux Falls.

Patricia M. Wagner

Denver

Read the whole letter:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...606140322/1053
    Too busy covering local "professional" sporting teams. They will come around but only when forced. The vision isn't really there.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Yup. it appears that the Sioux Falls media will have to learn the hard way. Either cover SDSU like a D-I program or be national laughing-stocks. Welcome to the big time, Sioux Falls sports media.

One guy's good work (Chris Solari) does not constitute adequate coverage of SDSU's D-I program.
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

now i know i'm not the only one who thinks the editor of the sports section is a moron. looks like even outta staters can see that. solari does his best to do what he does, if only the rest of the sports department didnt have a SDSU sports bias.

Comment

Solari does a fantastic job following the rabbits, I can only hope that some larger market doesn't take note and steal him away.  One man can only do so much.  As the years pass and more and more fans are attracted to SDSU athletics, the Argus will eventually figure it out.  

Although I am not a subscriber to the Argus, there have been many, many times I have bought a paper when I knew there was going to be a story about State-maybe that is why most of the big State stories appear in the Sunday edition when people like me are more likely to pick one up.  I would bet many other State fans are the same way.

I did also want to mention that at Kentucky this year, the morning after the game there were 2 or 3 different articles about the State/Kentucky game.  I would also bet that there was at least 2 articles dedicated to the game in the days before.  Now that is coverage!  Obviously, there is a bit more attention paid to college hoops in Kentucky (their version of Hansen/Anderson is about twice as thick), but I was still impressed.

In other news, I heard today that the Aberdeen newspaper sold for $28 million.  Even in an "unbiased" media, it really is all about the benjamins baby.
          “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Maybe the Argus relaized the scope of the "NCAA DI Tournament" How many teams are eligible for the DI tournament? 7 or 8?

Just because SDSU is DI in classification means little else. You have to earn some coverage and this tournament like all of the DI Independent Championships SDSU participates in is not going to garner much coverage, simply because of the number of teams who particiapte nationwide.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan
              Although I am not a subscriber to the Argus, there have been many, many times I have bought a paper when I knew there was going to be a story about State-maybe that is why most of the big State stories appear in the Sunday edition when people like me are more likely to pick one up.  I would bet many other State fans are the same way.
              I tried to cancel my Sunday only subscription to the Argus this spring and they came back to me and offered me a weekly subscription for the Sunday only subscription price.  So I took the deal. Although there are days I do not have time to pick it up and read it.

Chris Solari does a great job with his articles.

Comment

Originally posted by SPORTSFAN
                Maybe the Argus relaized the scope of the "NCAA DI Tournament" How many teams are eligible for the DI tournament? 7 or 8?

Just because SDSU is DI in classification means little else. You have to earn some coverage and this tournament like all of the DI Independent Championships SDSU participates in is not going to garner much coverage, simply because of the number of teams who particiapte nationwide.
                So cover the Parakeets, the lions, the bears and whatever other irrelevant sports event is happening? We aren't suggesting they not cover local sports but also include something about the DI national championship in town. Wouldn't be that difficult. I think the NCAA at the DI level has "earned" enough respect to deserve coverage. Certainly more than the Northern league (or whatever league), NAIA ball or anything else in the area right now.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by SPORTSFAN

I don't think this lady was complaining about lack of SDSU's coverage, but rather the coverage of the other DI schools in town for the tournament. SDSU isn't even based in Sioux Falls, but I think most people attending a tournament like that would expect at least some information in the paper when a sporting event is held in a decent sized town with the region's leading newspaper. The Argus leader fell all over itself last summer to cover the national girls softball tourney, they should at least have an article or two, IMHO, about a DI baseball tourney.
                  “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman
                    now i know i'm not the only one who thinks the editor of the sports section is a moron. looks like even outta staters can see that. solari does his best to do what he does, if only the rest of the sports department didnt have a SDSU sports bias.
                    I'm the former OK_Jackrabbit who was chased away from here by the stupidity of a certain member who has since departed for Bisonville. I'm an SDSU graduate with a Ph.D. from Iowa and experience as a prof at Purdue and Oklahoma. And I'm a journalism professor at SDSU. And I'm a former Argus Leader reporter. Mick, Stu, and Chris are friends of mine. I think they do a pretty good job of covering South Dakota sports.

You can hate the Argus all you want, but FYI it's a very good newspaper compared to towns of similar size (ever seen the Norman (OK) Transcript or the Iowa City (IA) Press-Citizen? The Lafayette (IN) Courier-Journal?) Count your lucky stars that the Argus is as good as it is.

I also think it's amusing that people gripe about their coverage choices as if there are unlimited resources at the Argus to cover every sporting event within 500 miles. Um... there are six guys on the sports staff. And on a given day, there are probably four of them working. So you should expect exactly four times as much local sports coverage than you get with, say, the Brookings Register. I'd say you get a lot more than that. They have to prioritize, of course, and they make mistakes. But if you think Mick and Stu, for example, are USD-lovers, you're kidding yourself. Mick graduated from St. Thomas, and Stu (like Chris Solari) is a Michigan State grad. Mick's job is to cover USD. Stu's job is to stir things up. They're just doing what they're supposed to do. If we can appreciate Chris for doing what he's supposed to do (cover SDSU) perhaps we can be tolerant of those other guys who are just doing their jobs.

I don't suppose the saying that "the perception of leaning depends on the stance of the observer" means anything here.

I'm an SDSU fan, so I view the Argus through that lens. How do you think Augie fans feel about the Argus' choice to assign a reporter to SDSU sports? Augie (my bro-in-law is assistant AD there) gets very little coverage of any kind in the Argus. And it's in Sioux Falls.

OK. So now there should be a bunch of nasty posts about how stupid I am for defending those guys and I'll just disappear again.

Comment

Originally posted by jackphd
                      [quote author=thebluehatman link=1150299241/0#3 date=1150313780]now i know i'm not the only one who thinks the editor of the sports section is a moron.   looks like even outta staters can see that.  solari does his best to do what he does, if only the rest of the sports department didnt have a SDSU sports bias.
                      I'm the former OK_Jackrabbit who was chased away from here by the stupidity of a certain member who has since departed for Bisonville. I'm an SDSU graduate with a Ph.D. from Iowa and experience as a prof at Purdue and Oklahoma. And I'm a journalism professor at SDSU. And I'm a former Argus Leader reporter. Mick, Stu, and Chris are friends of mine. I think they do a pretty good job of covering South Dakota sports.

You can hate the Argus all you want, but FYI it's a very good newspaper compared to towns of similar size (ever seen the Norman (OK) Transcript or the Iowa City (IA) Press-Citizen? The Lafayette (IN) Courier-Journal?) Count your lucky stars that the Argus is as good as it is.

I also think it's amusing that people gripe about their coverage choices as if there are unlimited resources at the Argus to cover every sporting event within 500 miles. Um... there are six guys on the sports staff. And on a given day, there are probably four of them working. So you should expect exactly four times as much local sports coverage than you get with, say, the Brookings Register. I'd say you get a lot more than that. They have to prioritize, of course, and they make mistakes. But if you think Mick and Stu, for example, are USD-lovers, you're kidding yourself. Mick graduated from St. Thomas, and Stu (like Chris Solari) is a Michigan State grad. Mick's job is to cover USD. Stu's job is to stir things up. They're just doing what they're supposed to do. If we can appreciate Chris for doing what he's supposed to do (cover SDSU) perhaps we can be tolerant of those other guys who are just doing their jobs.

I don't suppose the saying that "the perception of leaning depends on the stance of the observer" means anything here.

I'm an SDSU fan, so I view the Argus through that lens. How do you think Augie fans feel about the Argus' choice to assign a reporter to SDSU sports? Augie (my bro-in-law is assistant AD there) gets very little coverage of any kind in the Argus. And it's in Sioux Falls.

OK. So now there should be a bunch of nasty posts about how stupid I am for defending those guys and I'll just disappear again.[/quote]

Welcome back. I for one am glad you are back and hope you stick around.

Go State!

Comment

Originally posted by jackphd

OK. So now there should be a bunch of nasty posts about how stupid I am for defending those guys and I'll just disappear again.
                        Welcome back OK_Jackrabbit, I've been wondering what happened to you. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I hope you stick around. I've always valued your input and hope you aren't a stranger around here anymore.

Comment

Yeah, stick around OKJackPHD, the water is just fine....

Comment

Just be lucky we have the Argus and the Register reporting for SDSU. My folks are from around the Aberdeen area and the Aberdeen American News is not good. If they sold for $28 million, the Register is work $75 and the Argus way more. I will say they cover the Wolves as much as the Register covers the Rabbits.
                            Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

i have no beef against solari at all, in fact we get along pretty good and have been drinking a time or two. chris is an awesome guy and does so much for sdsu coverage. I'd like to see him sent to more of the big road games in the future, because hearing something from a biased opinion of a lets say utah state reporter doesn't give us might insight into what went down during the game. get solari on the road more

Comment

Working...
                              X