JUNE 27th A BIG DAY FOR SDSU ATHLETICS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JUNE 27th A BIG DAY FOR SDSU ATHLETICS

If I remember correctly, that is when the Mid-Con Summer Meeting starts where they plan on addressing expansion. It could end up being one of the biggest days in SDSU Athletics history if we get the invite (which I think we will)!

I'm going to go about this whole thing Hobo Day style. I'm not going to shave until we officially have a conference.

Does anyone care to join me?

SUPERBUNNY
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Re: JUNE 27th A BIG DAY FOR SDSU ATHLETICS

;D ;D Superbunny, you'll look like Yosef (ASU mascot) by the time we're there! ;D ;D

But then again, you should be in great shape for the Hobo Day contests too!!!

Agree about 6/27. Hope it's our first step in getting the mid-con to let us in. Once in, I see the 2 DSU's rising to the top pretty rapidly.

Comment

Had to bring this back to the top of the page after all of the news from yesterday with UND!

June 27th just became that much more important!

SUPERBUNNY

Comment

Following is a portion of an online article I stumbled on...she be pertenent to this thread...Mr Flynn does certainly offer some "out of the box" thoughts on the Mid-Con...

Don't want to post the whole thing here so I'll provide the link

http://www.hoopville.net/column/flynn.asp?EntryID=15101

Last paragraph...
        ...The Mid-Con is expected to vote on new members at its annual league meetings starting June 27th in Chicago. Commissioner Tom Douple has some thinking to do, with a few options to consider, and possible radical changes ahead...

Comment

Thanks for the link, rabbitman. It's an interesting read. Mr. Flynn, however, hasn't been paying enough attention to the BS Conference's hesistation when it comes to exapnsion.

I don't think the NCAA would ever want to establish a "transitional" conference. Such a creation could make it too easy for schools to jump up to D-1 since they know that they would automatically have built-in scheduling and "conference" affliation in the short-term.

The biggest problem that SDSU and NDSU have faced in their transition to D-1 is the lack of I-AA/mid-major conferences in the region (in fact there are more I-A schools and conferences nearby, making it fairly easy for both schools to schedule "money" games within driving distance).

Hopefully both SDSU and NDSU will receive Mid-Con invites and be able to compete for a Tourney bid in March 2009. 8-) 8-) 8-)

Comment

Flynn was either trying to be funny or he knows very little about College Basketball. Chicago State the the Missouri Valley come on. :

Western Illinois, UMKC and Oral Roberts join the Missouri Valley. Well, it makes sense geographically, as Oral Roberts pairs up nicely with Wichita State as a "not really in the Missouri Valley" squad. UMKC is as Missouri Valley as you can get, although the campus is several miles south of the actual river, Both Kansas City and Tulsa would be key metropolitan acquisitions in what would be considered Big 12 country. And Western Illinois wouldn't be a bad geographic fit, either, though it would lead to an odd number of teams. A possible solution would be to go to 14 teams in two divisions by adding the former Mid-Con member Chicago State, thus adding yet another major metropolitan area to the MVC market.

Go State!

Comment

If SDSU were not so anxious about finding a conference, I think we could laugh along with Flynn. The first reading of the column and the talk of disbanding the entire conference does get one up with concerns. I dont think it will happen as Oakland and some of the others have struggled like we have in finding a conference. Plus the options out there are not as good as one would think.

In a related note, I happen to catch the Craig and Mike show yesterday. I missed the interviews with Joel Nielsen and Bill Gross, but caught the opening remarks by Craig. Craig has struck me as kind of low key in the past about D1 movements.  He has usually played the straightman role and snickered at Mikes anti-SDSU comments.

Yesterday Craig was unglued about what is happening to the NCC. He seemed to think its SDSU fault for making this all happen. The usual ridicule of SDSU's attendence and schedules so far under D1 were mentioned more than once. I dont think for a second that SDSU will ever get any praise of any kind on this show. Its fun to hear what the critics of SDSU are saying though.

If an offer from the Mid Con comes next week, I look for immediate acceptance by the SDSU administration. hmmmmmmm more Craig and Mike talk material.

Comment

Originally posted by Haldersham

In a related note, I happen to catch the Craig and Mike show yesterday. I missed the interviews with Joel Nielsen and Bill Gross, but caught the opening remarks by Craig. Craig has struck me as kind of low key in the past about D1 movements.  He has usually played the straightman role and snickered at Mikes anti-SDSU comments.

Yesterday Craig was unglued about what is happening to the NCC. He seemed to think its SDSU fault for making this all happen. The usual ridicule of SDSU's attendence and schedules so far under D1 were mentioned more than once. I dont think for a second that SDSU will ever get any praise of any kind on this show. Its fun to hear what the critics of SDSU are saying though.

If an offer from the Mid Con comes next week, I look for immediate acceptance by the SDSU administration. hmmmmmmm more Craig and Mike talk material.
                Yes Craig and Mike have had some very negative comments towards SDSU the last couple of days. My favorite was two days ago when Mike H. emphatically stated that SDSU is not part of the Sioux Falls market, at which point I promptly turned the station to Jeff Culhane on KVTK down in Vermillion. Lets see, the states largest university and the states largest city are 55 miles apart and they are not in the same market, right Mr H. Sioux Falls and South Dakota definintely needs a new sports talk show.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbitdw
                  [quote author=Haldersham link=1150553958/0#6 date=1151066188]

Yes Craig and Mike have had some very negative comments towards SDSU the last couple of days. My favorite was two days ago when Mike H. emphatically stated that SDSU is not part of the Sioux Falls market, at which point I promptly turned the station to Jeff Culhane on KVTK down in Vermillion. Lets see, the states largest university and the states largest city are 55 miles apart and they are not in the same market, right Mr H. Sioux Falls and South Dakota definintely needs a new sports talk show.[/quote]

I've tried to understand Mike_H and all I can conclude is that he wants things to remain "small". I think he would like to see an all South Dakota conference with DSU, DWU, USF, etc all on the same plane as SDSU. He is fine with the best athletes leaving the state for DI opportunity elsewhere and wants to focus on recruiting the average local kid who can excel and the lower level. He frowns on travel and long-distance recruits and justifies that by saying we are spending money on athletics that could better be spent on academics and South Dakota kids. He doesn't get the big picture. Not a knock on him just a fact. Think small, stay small and accept the consequence.
                  We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I agree, they both lack vison.  

Go State!  

Comment

Mike loves to have the audience that he has in Sioux Falls and around the area and the influence that he can have on it. He considers himself Mr. Sports in South Dakota and carries the accompanying ego with him.

He used to do a morning show up here in Brookings and then left town. There has been an axe to grind ever since then and he probably won't ever do SDSU any real favors.

The best thing we can do is to continue to excel and keep handing him a crow sandwich!

SUPERBUNNY

Comment

I'm not trying to degrade Mike_H anymore than he is trying to degrade SDSU. Mike is very knowledgable about South Dakota sports right down to high school track. However, his resistance to the larger seen is not logical in my opinion and in fact makes him look foolish and short-sighted. Sounds like some of our friends from the south.
                        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Since were on the MikeH & Craig kick...
                          I wonder how many SDSU events they were able to attend...in Brookings.
                          A general perception I have is that it is very easy for Brookings people to travel to Sioux Falls, but it's somehow such a long drive for Sioux Falls folks to come to Brookings.
                          I admire and respect C&M for their Sioux Falls opinion, but there show has to accomodate quite a range of sports fans...I think they get a kick out of being somewhat controversial...makes for good radio...

Comment

Ok, getting back on topic . . . From the NW Indiana times:

http://nwitimes.com/articles/2006/06...95007cce1a.txt

BY PAUL TREMBACKI
                            ptrembacki@nwitimes.com

On Tuesday in Chicago, the Mid-Continent Conference's Council of Presidents will meet, and in a rare move the schools' directors of athletics are invited along to discuss expansion. . . . (read more)

Go State!

Comment

Chris ran a story in the Argus today.

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...606270322/1002

Looks like SDSU has passed the "sniff test?"

As the remaining presidents of the Mid-Continent Conference meet today at a hotel in Chicago to decide the league's fate, South Dakota State's future could be on their agenda.

Mid-Con Commissioner Tom Douple, who spent last week at the Collegiate Commissioners Association meetings, said on June 16 that information about SDSU and NDSU had been given to the league's presidents.

"It's on the agenda to discuss expansion," Douple said. "We're still gathering up information and doing our evaluation. ... And it's a time, too, when some folks have gotten to (the information) and some have not. There's just a lot of things to try and get in their hands before the meeting."

The Mid-Con asked the two Dakota schools to submit institutional profiles in early May. Other schools that gave their information to the league include Indiana Purdue-Fort Wayne, Texas-Pan American and Utah Valley State.

Douple said the presidents were not surprised with the information they received.

"I don't think we would have sent any information to them if they first didn't pass the sniff test at the conference office," he said.

"I can't speak for the presidents, but I know there will be some type of action in a review," Douple said. "Whether that sets up a timetable or not, that's going to be up to the presidents' group."

Comment

Working...
                              X