Huge Mid-Con news

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Huge Mid-Con news

When SDSU submits its report to the Mid-Con and as comparisons are made to other Mid-Con members it can be noted that SDSU's facilities compare well with the seating capacities of the current Mid-Con members' facilities.

From Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid-Con...ference_Stadia

Conference Stadia

School Football stadium Stadium capacity Basketball arena Arena capacity

Centenary   Non-football school N/A   Gold Dome 3,000
    Chicago State   Non-Football School N/A   Dickens Athletic Center 2,500
    IUPUI   Non-Football School N/A   IUPUI Gymnasium 2,000
    UMKC   Non-Football School N/A   Municipal Auditorium 9,800
    Oakland   Non-football school N/A   Athletics Center Arena 4,005
    Oral Roberts   Non-Football School N/A   Mabee Center 10,200
    Southern Utah   Eccles Coliseum 8,500   Centrum Arena 5,300
    Valparaiso   Brown Field 5,000   Athletics-Recreation Center 5,000
    Western Illinois   Hanson Field 15,000   Western Hall 5,139

Click on the link to see this in a far more readable format.

Comment

IF invited into Mid-Con, the Dak SU's appear to be in the top 1/2 for enrollments, and near the top for stadium/arena capacities. I suspect that we'd be the actual leaders in attendance at the facilities in the conference.

Man, I'd love to see this invite!!!

Comment

Yea, I'm really hoping you guys get the invite also. Alot of mid-con fans are worried about the travel, but going to CC (CSU)and SUU for programs that seem to never improve sucks. I like SUU, and they are the only real contender in baseball for ORU, but it would be nice to have schools with such devoted and large fan base to join up. If we take IPFW over either of the Dakotas only due to travel, I'll be very dissapointed. NOt too mention, rumor has it, another mid-con school leaves today, if true that would be a perfect fit for you and your neighbors to the north.

Comment

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default...AON4020515.htm

Valparaiso gone from the Mid-Con

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks15
            http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=other/news/AON4020515.htm

Mid-Con here we come!

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks15
              http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=other/news/AON4020515.htm

This was definately a curveball in the conference situation.  I had read the Valpo wanted into the Horizon for some time but really didn't see anything that it was a possibility...It only improves our chances for conference affiliation that much more.  Although the MidCon isn't quite as good without a strong basketball school in Valpo, i will still take it in a heartbeat.  Beggers can't be Choosers, right  :-?
              "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Not so sure about Valpo being a strong basketball program, I mean I like them a bunch due to them being our (ORU) main rival, but they seem to be on the way down rather then on the way up. They just lost the best players they have and don't seem to be replacing them with anybody of particular difference making potential, but the rivalry will be missed. However, over the past 4 years the record and finish is getting worse, but I'm not sure we can replace them right away. You guys seemed to handle UMKC this past year and they have been one of the programs in the Mid-Con on the rise.

Comment

I agree ORU, when i looked back i don't think i should have said strong...maybe marquee basketball program in the conference just because of the national attention they received over the last 5-10 years (whether it was deserved or not can be debated). Either way, i hope we start to see ORU and the rest of the midcon schools on our schedules ASAP. You will be able to develop rivalries with us quickly as both SDSU and NDSU have very lively and dedicated fan bases.

Originally posted by ORU sisko
                  Not so sure about Valpo being a strong basketball program, I mean I like them a bunch due to them being our (ORU) main rival, but they seem to be on the way down rather then on the way up. They just lost the best players they have and don't seem to be replacing them with anybody of particular difference making potential, but the rivalry will be missed. However, over the past 4 years the record and finish is getting worse, but I'm not sure we can replace them right away. You guys seemed to handle UMKC this past year and they have been one of the programs in the Mid-Con on the rise.

Comment

Here is a link to another board that talks about conference realignment and expansion.  NOthing really new on the site but it does have a link to an additional story on the Valpo move.

http://ncaasports.proboards10.com/in...ead=1147879202

The liink below is to the general message board. Go down a little ways and there is a section just on conference changes. All speculation but interesting.

http://ncaasports.proboards10.com/index.cgi?

Comment

and rabbit land erupts in happiness. bunnies humping all over the place. we might have found a home [smiley=beer.gif]

Comment

GREAT NEWS, guys!

Except what IF both the Mid-Con AND Big Sky offer invitations????

Comment

With Valpo now gone, here's a thought I had. The Mid-Con is now down to 7, which is the minimum for the bb autobid. Centenary does not seem like a strong program or member and could be gone at any time. The SU's are not eligible for post season until 08-09. If the SU's were added and Centenary left would the Mid-Con be considered down to 6 and lose the auto-bid? I'm just a little worried about the stability of the conference with 2 members leaving in the last few months.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-D1
                            With Valpo now gone, here's a thought I had.  The Mid-Con is now down to 7, which is the minimum for the bb autobid.  Centenary does not seem like a strong program or member and could be gone at any time.  The SU's are not eligible for post season until 08-09.  If the SU's were added and Centenary left would the Mid-Con be considered down to 6 and lose the auto-bid? I'm just a little worried about the stability of the conference with 2 members leaving in the last few months.

If they added IPFW as well (I believe they are already eligible) wouldn't they count towards the auto-bid number and give them the number they need until 08-09 when the SU's become a counter for the autobid. Plus that would put the conference at 10 which would be much more desirable than the 9 members they would have by just adding the SU's. Down the road, in all speculation, Centenary leaves, they add UTVS or maybe a UND who has finally decided to take the D1 plunge...

Comment

Originally posted by OKC_Poke
                              GREAT NEWS, guys!

What a pleasant experience!!! We get to chose what's best for us!

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit
                                [quote author=OKC_Poke link=1145505930/75#85 date=1147890719]GREAT NEWS, guys!

What a pleasant experience!!!  We get to chose what's best for us! [/quote]

I should've seen that coming! :

Comment

Working...
                                X