Huge Mid-Con news

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Huge Mid-Con news

It's quite rare for a team to find a D-I conference right away. If UND is going to sit by the phone waiting for a D-I invitation, they will be waiting a long time. If a school is considering a D-I move, there has to be leadership from the top. Maybe you can sell people on the move, and maybe you can't. But if those in charge don't believe in what they are trying to sell, why should anyone else be expected to believe in it?

Comment

This announcement would seem to indicate the Sioux are wanting to upgrade their schedule:

UND men’s basketball team to play games at Purdue and Indiana next season5/8/2006

GRAND FORKS, N.D. – University of North Dakota Athletic Director Tom Buning announced today that the UND men’s basketball team would play road games against Purdue and Indiana next season.

The Sioux will play an exhibition game against Purdue in West Lafayette, Ind., on Friday, Nov. 3, and an exhibition game against Indiana in Bloomington, Ind., on Sunday, Nov. 5. Game times will be announced at a later date.

Comment

I'm not sure that playing exhibition games against D-I schools qualifies and upgrading anything (other then your exhibition schedule).  After all Northern State played Kentucky in an exhibition last season.  D-II schools play D-I schools in exhibitions all the time.  I am not sure how this ties into the topic of this thread.   :-?

Go State!  

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
          I'm not sure that playing exhibition games against D-I schools qualifies and upgrading anything (other then your exhibition schedule).  After all Northern State played Kentucky in an exhibition last season.  D-II schools play D-I schools in exhibitions all the time.  I am not sure how this ties into the topic of this thread.   :-?
          In another example, CU-Colorado Springs, a non-football school in the Div. II Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference, played Wyoming few years back in a exhibition basketball game. P.S. Wyoming won easily! ;D

Comment

Originally posted by HoboD
            This announcement would seem to indicate the Sioux are wanting to upgrade their schedule:

UND men’s basketball team to play games at Purdue and Indiana next season5/8/2006

GRAND FORKS, N.D. – University of North Dakota Athletic Director Tom Buning announced today that the UND men’s basketball team would play road games against Purdue and Indiana next season.

The Sioux will play an exhibition game against Purdue in West Lafayette, Ind., on Friday, Nov. 3, and an exhibition game against Indiana in Bloomington, Ind., on Sunday, Nov. 5. Game times will be announced at a later date.
            We have had this discussion in the past. All DI schools play some exhibition games against lower division schools. We do it, Purdue does it, Indiana does it, Kentucky does it, etc... For those not understanding the difference between a regular game and an exhibition I provide this definition:

Noun 1. exhibition game - a game whose outcome is not recorded in the season's standing,
            practice game

To quote AI, "Are we talkin bout practice?" Yes, I am afraid we are.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Actually jackmd, you didn't use the word 'practice' enough in your sentence to quote AI. ;D We still make fun of that downtown on Friday nights.
              Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Mid Con Expansion:  Below is a link to an article in todays Fargo Forum talking about expansion of the Mid Continent. It indicates that SDSU along with NDSU and IPFW and perhaps others has been asked to submit profiles to the Mid Continent. for their discussion at the June Presidents meeting.  This has been assumed or hinted at before but is perhaps the first time that it seems to be confirmed even though no one ones to publicly discuss it for obvious reasons.  Good luck Jacks in the process.  My personal preference has always been with the Mid Continent conference.

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/ind...section=Sports

Comment

Good stuff, here are the highlights.

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/ind...section=Sports

NDSU to submit profile to Mid-Con

By Jeff Kolpack, The Forum
                  Published Friday, May 12, 2006

The Mid-Continent Conference has taken the first step toward expansion by asking a few schools, including North Dakota State, to submit an institutional profile to the league office.

It’s preliminary action for serious discussion, which is expected to take place in June at the Mid-Con Council of Presidents meeting in Chicago. . . . .

The Mid-Con profile request includes enrollment, accreditation status, graduation rates, degrees offered, media outlets, local hotels, budgets, fundraising, season tickets for basketball, student SAT scores and student-athlete SAT scores.

“Just a lot of general information about the institution,” Taylor said.

The report is due May 19. South Dakota State and Indiana University Purdue-Fort Wayne were also asked to submit a profile.

SDSU athletic director Fred Oien confirmed as much, but declined to publicly discuss it. . . . (read more)

Go State!

Comment

another step in the right direction!
                    "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

SDSU athletic director Fred Oien confirmed as much, but declined to publicly discuss it. . . .
                      ]

WHY???????? I have never understood the secrecy that our athletic department feels they need to operate under. It has often made me wonder what is really going on up there.

Comment

Jacks Twice, It is my understanding that it is usually the conference that wants to keep these things confidential until they are ready to make a public statement. IF that is the case, it is in our best interests to go along with what they want.

Comment

I've always preferred the Big Sky but as I've learned more about the Mid-Con in the past few months, I now prefer the Mid Con over the BSC. It'd would be really great if we could sneak into the Gateway as well for the auto bid. But the Great West isn't such a bad football conference either. It would be great to hear something by the end of the summer.

Comment

Patience is the key here. Submit a well though out summary of all that we can offer an athletic conference. Demonstrate a willingness to be flexible. Show a commitment to the Mid-Con in all sports that they support. Keep a level head and wait.
                            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Jacks Twice, It is my understanding that it is usually the conference that wants to keep these things confidential until they are ready to make a public statement. IF that is the case, it is in our best interests to go along with what they want.
                              I'll buy that for this instance, but I think we have all shown frustration at one time or another with the lack of info from above.

Comment

Jack Twice, here is your "offical" answer from the Argus:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...PORTS/60512012

SDSU submitting profile to Mid-Continent

By Chris Solari
                                csolari@argusleader.com
                                May 12, 2006

South Dakota State has been asked by the Mid-Continent Conference officials to submit a profile of the school for possible inclusion in the league.

Athletic Director Fred Oien confirmed Friday that the eight-team Mid-Continent asked for materials. He refused to comment further.

“This was not a deal for us to put a press release out – it’s a conference issue,” Oien said. “The bottom line is we’ve been contracted. Any further information has to come from the Mid-Con office.”  .  .  . (read more)

Go State!  

Comment

Working...
                                X