Five D1 Schools in the Dakotas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Five D1 Schools in the Dakotas?

As we have moved along in our D1 adventure things have gone well.  I didn't think we would get a conference as quickly as it appears we are going to get and fb has been quite competitive.
    My one concern is that every school around here that seems to study reclassifying to d1 ends up going.  So that will leave 5 d1 schools in the dakotas.  Can the dakotas actually support 5 d1 schools?  2 or 3 seem to be a lot but doable - 5 seems to be a little much.  Opinions?

Re: Five D1 Schools in the Dakotas?

I think three is a great plenty for this area, but it has more to do with the changing landscape and watering down of division 2. I have posted several times that it could be beneficial to SDSU, USD, and Augie to have us in D-1 and the other two in D-2. We can all be succesful in our own league without canibalizing each other.

The landscape in D-2 is a mess but I think it would be worse for to be a horribly underfunded D-1 program and really struggle. SDSU's budget is way above USD and Augie and we're struggling (which is to be expected). A conference affiliation should get the money rolling again but it will be an ongoing challenge!

USD and Augie need to do the studies to keep the alumni happy but at the end of the day they will be best served by staying D-2 and joining with the NSIC. However, that may be a bigger pill than the alumni will want to swallow!

SUPERBUNNY
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

I think that 5 in the Dakotas is too many . . . but it would also mean six in the Dakotas plus Minnesota . . . seven in the Dakotas plus Minnesota plus Nebraska . . . eight in the Dakotas plus Minnesota plus Nebraska plus Wyoming . . . and ten in the Dakotas plus all other bordering states except Iowa.  Is this too many?

Comment

Three D1's in South Dakota? Let's see . . .

Minnesota? One
        Iowa? Four
        Nebraska? Two
        Missouri? Four
        Wisconsin? Three
        Montana? Two
        Wyoming? One
        Colorado? Five
        Kansas? Three

It sure looks to me like 3 D-I programs in South Dakota would be at least one too many.
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by sdman
          As we have moved along in our D1 adventure things have gone well.  I didn't think we would get a conference as quickly as it appears we are going to get and fb has been quite competitive.
          My one concern is that every school around here that seems to study reclassifying to d1 ends up going.  So that will leave 5 d1 schools in the dakotas.  Can the dakotas actually support 5 d1 schools?  2 or 3 seem to be a lot but doable - 5 seems to be a little much.  Opinions?
          Can you say cart before the horse? Least of our worries, thoughts, concerns, etc.. should be about what other institutions are going to do. We are DI and the focus should remain there. The question is an interesting one but not worth much pondering right now. My preference (which isn't relevant) is that SD have 1 DI school.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

if usd decides to moves up i think there will be numerous Board of Regents that will disapprove of it and there will be a nice battle over what happens. it doesn't matter if these schools move up or not we still have the claim of being south dakota's first d-1 school. the heat is on USD and Augie to decide what they have to do for success and their best interest. to me it seems what ever they decide to do will have little effect (or affect) on us. i think sd can have 2 d-1 schools, even though the situations at either school has to be figured out first. As for the term south dakota's team that Usd has, thats a joke. If we didn't move up to D-1 they would never have started that campaign.

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman
              As for the term south dakota's team that Usd has, thats a joke. If we didn't move up to D-1 they would never have started that campaign.
              I laugh whenever I see a USD sign or ad that makes that claim........... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Comment

Originally posted by NightHawk78
                [quote author=thebluehatman link=1152708907/0#5 date=1152733893]As for the term south dakota's team that Usd has, thats a joke.  If we didn't move up to D-1 they would never have started that campaign.
                I laugh whenever I see a USD sign or ad that makes that claim........... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D[/quote]

The holagan inside me makes me want to vandalize them, but i can't because that would be a crime. Besides I don't want the whole town of beresford chasing after me for bashing their team. Would they no longer be South Dakota's team if they moved up to D-1 without the Regents approval :. maybe we could start a new campaign lol.

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman
                  if usd decides to moves up i think there will be numerous Board of Regents that will disapprove of it and there will be a nice battle over what happens.  it doesn't matter if these schools move up or not we still have the claim of being south dakota's first d-1 school.  the heat is on USD and Augie to decide what they have to do for success and their best interest.  to me it seems what ever they decide to do will have little effect (or affect) on us. i think sd can have 2 d-1 schools, even though the situations at either school has to be figured out first.  As for the term south dakota's team that Usd has, thats a joke.  If we didn't move up to D-1 they would never have started that campaign.
                  Pure speculations, but this is my expectation of what will happen if USD does decide to move forward to D1. The Board of Regents and SD Legislature will discourage it, but given the circumstances of the NCC not see much other choice. They will then place the same stipulation on USD that they did SDSU saying that they may not raise tuition or fees to support such a move in the area of athletics. USD will then show that they are unable to fund the move due to the normal costs and the fact that their title IX situtation is currently out of whack and will be even more (they have a 70/30 male to female ratio). The SDBOR and Legislature will then agree to allow USD to raise their student fees to "offset title IX costs" (ahem, fund their Division I move) at their university. Like in the past for many projects, the taxpayers money will go to offset the lack of ability to plan or raise funds at the "Flagship" : university in southeast SD. All the while, SDSU will continue to fund their move without having to raise student fees or tuition costs...although if USD is allowed, SDSU better be as well as that money could go along ways to making our Athletic Department more competitive in the areas of scholarships and facilities.
                  "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

USD will probably make its case at the Legislature next year for D-1/Title IX help since SDSU had a bunch of projects approved this past year (mind you, that NONE of them came from common taxpayer dollars as they were all funded by grants, donations, student fee dollars, etc.) in Pierre and that USD needs some "love" from the Legislature in order to keep with the Jackrabbits. Abbott will be further emboldened by the fact that the new SDSU president may not want to stick his/her head out immediately after assuming the SDSU presidency like Pres. Miller would......

SDSU and its backers will come forth (hopefully) to point out that USD should not be able to get help since SDSU moved to D-1 without state help. If USD gets moola, SDSU should be able to get the same amount for new programs or facility improvements (football stadium?). USD will probably lose its campaign in Pierre unless Rounds (assuming he's re-elected) and the legislators find a few extra million under the sofa cushions to make both "flagships" happy.

Since SD has been able to support four, solid D-2 programs, it would be feasible for the state to have two or three D-1 programs, especially since MN would likely only have one (good bragging rights against MN ) Personally, I would find it extremely hilarious IF Augie goes D-1 and USD is stuck in D-2, particularly if the NCC flounders and the NSIC doesn't want USD.

Comment

Isn't it funny how they will have to argue in favor of the same things that they so bitterly fought against when SDSU announced it's intentions!

It's like the little boy crying Coyote!

Sorry, I couldn't help myself! (slapping my own wrist, filbert!)

SUPERBUNNY
                      MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Mick Garry was on Craig & Mike yesterday and he was talking about how the other institutions were merciless behind closed doors with the BOR & legislators about the SDSU move. Garry stated that they probably are going to have a hard time making the sell for themselves based on the arguments SDSU put forward.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY
                          Isn't it funny how they will have to argue in favor of the same things that they so bitterly fought against when SDSU announced it's intentions!

It's like the little boy crying Coyote!

Sorry, I couldn't help myself! (slapping my own wrist, filbert!)

SUPERBUNNY
                          Nothing is below a Coyote. Just kidding USD fans. I think the administration at USD will have the common sense and courage to recognize they are not in a position to move up to DI. Nor do I ever think they will be or need to be. USD is just right where they are right now and I don't see anything wrong with that. They can continue to be a premier academic and athletic institution at the DII level.
                          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

My hope is Augie and USD stay D-2. For the atheletes and fans of this state that is the best scenario and I think for them as institutions. My daughter just finished a D-2 career at UND. She like most of the athletes there (exception of Hockey) would have not been competitive in D-1, instead, in D-2 they won 2 conference team championships and competed in 3 NCAA tournaments. That would not have happened in D-1. There is a large group of athletes in the Dakotas (as elsewhere) who are a step ahead of the NAIA athlete, but a step behind the D-1. While I love that the Jacks give the states elite an option, it would be great if the D-2 opportunity was here also. Just my opinion.......I could be wrong.

Comment

Right now I can picture usd putting their committee together with as many people as possible who are going to "rubber stamp" the move to D1 whether or not they are ready for it. I can't imagine them letting sdsu move ahead of them without a fight. I would bet it is 4-1 that they will be moving up regardless of whether they are ready to do it and whether they can afford it.

Comment

Working...
                              X