Clear All

• Title IX story

Interesting piece in the Grand Forks Herald:

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandf...s/15102394.htm

DIVISION I TRANSITION REQUIREMENTS: Paths aren't always the same

NDSU, SDSU have different ways of meeting qualifications

By Bob Bergland
    Herald Staff Writer

While it may not exactly be a matter of taking the high road versus the low road, North Dakota State and South Dakota State have taken different paths in their journeys to satisfy Title IX requirements in transitioning to Division I.

Those paths have been determined largely by two main factors. One is their different timeline in increasing the number of football scholarships to 57, the amount schools need to average over a two-year period to get games with I-A schools. The other factor is a South Dakota mandate that sets more rigorous standards for meeting gender-equity guidelines. . . . (read more)

Go State!

Re: Title IX story

Another story:

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandf...a/15102399.htm

TRANSITION TO DIVISION I ATHLETICS: A battle of the sexes

Scholarships have to be considered in planning to meet gender-equity requirements

By Bob Bergland
    Herald Staff Writer

The most important number in UND's reclassification is, of course, one - as in Division I. But there's also another important number: nine - as in Title IX.

Meeting gender-equity requirements mandated by Title IX will be a key component of all facets of the planning process as UND prepares to begin its exploratory year in 2007-08. Those requirements will have a significant effect on budgeting, staffing, recruiting and a myriad of other athletic aspects.

Probably the biggest and most pressing concern will be in the number of scholarships offered - and which sports and genders get how many scholarships. UND athletic director Tom Buning and senior woman administrator Betty Ralston confirmed that the school plans to offer 21 additional football scholarships during the first year, bringing the total to 57. As a Division II team, UND has 36 scholarships this year.

The school needs to average 57 scholarships out of the chute so it can play Division I-A opponents after two years.

To get an idea of just how magical 57 is, consider that Ralston's previous employer, Division I-AA Eastern Illinois, will be paid $600,000 to travel 45 miles to play the University of Illinois.  .  .  .  (read more)

I will say I am glad to see that our University is using Direct proportionality as it is the ONLY way you can be sure that you are in compliance.

Go State!  

Comment

Gender equity is a difficult issue for any school to deal with, however, I do believe the BOR has put a burden on ALL of our schools that few others have to deal with. By requiring that they meet all 3 possible compliance systems, it would seem to me that each school has to spend at least some time showing how the meet each possible scenario. From everything I have read, the direct is the most stringent, so if we have to meet that one, why bother with the others.

Did anyone else take the budget comment as still leaving the door open to not making the move? I think UND will make it official, but it seems odd to me that they ALWAYS keep that caveat in the discussion.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

A bit off topic but to answer the question about und. I think the "self imposed" probationary year is for exactly that reason-to give them an out if they feel they cant make the move. It bought them 12 more months to study it.

Comment

Working...
        X