Chris Solari leaving Argus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chris Solari leaving Argus?

welll we won't have a whole lot from solari in the future about sdsu activities and i am saddened by the loss of solari to east lansing.

Any info on this? Not up at the Argus website yet!

If true, Chris will be missed :'( as he's been a good, positive reporter on the SDSU sports scene!

Re: Chris Solari leaving Argus?

Originally posted by rabidrabbit
    welll we won't have a whole lot from solari in the future about sdsu activities and i am saddened by the loss of solari to east lansing.

Any info on this?  Not up at the Argus website yet!

If true, Chris will be missed  :'( as he's been a good, positive   reporter on the SDSU sports scene!
    Best sports writer at the Argus for some time. I hope they assign someone with a little ambition and excitement for the move to DI.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Chris was a plus for SDSU coverage. I regret seeing him leave. I wish him the best though. I would think the Argus will find some one else who will be as capable as Chris. It woulld be nice if an SDSU alum were selected, or would that be a making of a homer.

Comment

It is true I talked with Chris today.  He did a great job at the Argus and I wish him the very best of luck at his new job.  You will be missed.  Of course now I will have a very good reason to take a trip to Mich. for an Oakland game or two (assuming we get into the Mid-Con).  

Go State!  

Comment

will we see not as much coverage with the loss of chris or will we see more of stu and mick in brookings or will we see someone like solari be around the sports scene up here. i dunno but chris has a lot of talent and i wish he best of luck. the new sports writer for state has big shoes to fill.

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman
            will we see not as much coverage with the loss of chris or will we see more of stu and mick in brookings or will we see someone like solari be around the sports scene up here. i dunno but chris has a lot of talent and i wish he best of luck. the new sports writer for state has big shoes to fill.
            Solari's last day is the 24th (he starts at the Lansing State Journal on the 28th) meaning they'll have to get somebody up to speed quickly for fall sports. My vote goes to Mick Garry. I know many of you carry an irrational hatred for him, but think about why for a minute. Is it because he's a bad reporter? (Here's a scoop for you... everybody I know who knows anything about the business will tell you Mick is one of the most talented people in South Dakota journalism.) I'm thinking some of you dislike him primarily because he covers USD. Perhaps if he covered SDSU, you'd see what a capable and talented guy he is. And for those of you who haven't followed all the Argus-hating around here, Mick is NOT a USD graduate. He's a graduate of St. Thomas in Minnesota.

I'd much prefer somebody like Mick (somebody with experience and talent) take over the SDSU beat than some sports-reporter-to-be-named-later who might turn out to be a greenhorn with a chip on his/her shoulder.

As to whether we'll get less coverage, the editors of the Argus -- the people who actually decide these things -- have made a commitment to expend resources on coverage of SDSU sports because it is the state's only Division I program. I doubt they will back off on that now. We'll get a reporter assigned to SDSU.

Comment

Judging from the SF television coverage of the Mid Con campus visit and the strong possibility of an Invitation to the Mid Con, I think the Argus  will follow the TV in that the Argus will be  more seriousness and maybe more generous in their coverage of SDSU athletics. I think Mick Garry or Stu Whitney if chosen to be the beat reporter for SDSU would take their job serious.  If Stu can stir the pot among Jack fans, maybe that would be better than an SDSU alum beat reporter as I suggested earlier. I think the beat reporter should ask hard questions and if the adminstration has good answers, we get the right news.

Comment

Originally posted by jackphd
                [quote author=thebluehatman link=1155327392/0#4 date=1155416741]will we see not as much coverage with the loss of chris or will we see more of stu and mick in brookings or will we see someone like solari be around the sports scene up here.  i dunno but chris has a lot of talent and i wish he best of luck.  the new sports writer for state has big shoes to fill.
                Solari's last day is the 24th (he starts at the Lansing State Journal on the 28th) meaning they'll have to get somebody up to speed quickly for fall sports. My vote goes to Mick Garry. I know many of you carry an irrational hatred for him, but think about why for a minute. Is it because he's a bad reporter? (Here's a scoop for you... everybody I know who knows anything about the business will tell you Mick is one of the most talented people in South Dakota journalism.) I'm thinking some of you dislike him primarily because he covers USD. Perhaps if he covered SDSU, you'd see what a capable and talented guy he is. And for those of you who haven't followed all the Argus-hating around here, Mick is NOT a USD graduate. He's a graduate of St. Thomas in Minnesota.

I'd much prefer somebody like Mick (somebody with experience and talent) take over the SDSU beat than some sports-reporter-to-be-named-later who might turn out to be a greenhorn with a chip on his/her shoulder.

As to whether we'll get less coverage, the editors of the Argus -- the people who actually decide these things -- have made a commitment to expend resources on coverage of SDSU sports because it is the state's only Division I program. I doubt they will back off on that now. We'll get a reporter assigned to SDSU.[/quote]

I can live with Mick covering SDSU.  I like reading his column more than anything Stu writes.  It might be difficult for him to switch to SDSU with the possible move by USD to DI, but with us being the only DI school in the state we should have the top reporter covering us.  

Any SDSU Alumni out there looking to cover SDSU?  

Chris did a great job covering SDSU and always enjoyed his stories.  I had the chance to visit with Chris a couple of times after games and I will miss him.  Best of luck in your new job Chris and hope to see you in the future.  

Comment

Originally posted by Haldersham
                  Judging from the SF television coverage of the Mid Con campus visit and the strong possibility of an Invitation to the Mid Con, I think the Argus  will follow the TV in that the Argus will be  more seriousness and maybe more generous in their coverage of SDSU athletics. I think Mick Garry or Stu Whitney if chosen to be the beat reporter for SDSU would take their job serious.  If Stu can stir the pot among Jack fans, maybe that would be better than an SDSU alum beat reporter as I suggested earlier. I think the beat reporter should ask hard questions and if the adminstration has good answers, we get the right news.

Maybe we can work a trade with the Bison, Whitney for Mcfeeley. ;D

Comment

Originally posted by Haldersham
                    Judging from the SF television coverage of the Mid Con campus visit and the strong possibility of an Invitation to the Mid Con, I think the Argus will follow the TV in that the Argus will be more seriousness and maybe more generous in their coverage of SDSU athletics. I think Mick Garry or Stu Whitney if chosen to be the beat reporter for SDSU would take their job serious. If Stu can stir the pot among Jack fans, maybe that would be better than an SDSU alum beat reporter as I suggested earlier. I think the beat reporter should ask hard questions and if the adminstration has good answers, we get the right news.
                    The Argus newsroom is literally jam-packed with SDSU alums. I counted 14 out of 61 total newsroom employees just now, and those are just the ones I know for sure. That includes the managing editor and many of the most experienced reporters there. So SDSU is well-represented in every decision they make. KELO-TV is similarly SDSU-heavy in the newsroom (news director Mark Millage is an SDSU graduate). And the same goes for the Fargo Forum where there are a bunch of SDSU graduates.

Comment

Originally posted by jackphd
                      [quote author=Haldersham link=1155327392/0#6 date=1155491831]Judging from the SF television coverage of the Mid Con campus visit and the strong possibility of an Invitation to the Mid Con, I think the Argus  will follow the TV in that the Argus will be  more seriousness and maybe more generous in their coverage of SDSU athletics. I think Mick Garry or Stu Whitney if chosen to be the beat reporter for SDSU would take their job serious.  If Stu can stir the pot among Jack fans, maybe that would be better than an SDSU alum beat reporter as I suggested earlier. I think the beat reporter should ask hard questions and if the adminstration has good answers, we get the right news.
                      The Argus newsroom is literally jam-packed with SDSU alums. I counted 14 out of 61 total newsroom employees just now, and those are just the ones I know for sure. That includes the managing editor and many of the most experienced reporters there. So SDSU is well-represented in every decision they make. KELO-TV is similarly SDSU-heavy in the newsroom (news director Mark Millage is an SDSU graduate). And the same goes for the Fargo Forum where there are a bunch of SDSU graduates.[/quote]

It looks like the Journalism school has done a great job over the years training good news people. Since the Gannett organization bought the Argus and I am not sure when that happen, the reporters have tended to be from everywhere but the South Dakota. This is why I suggested an SDSU alum, but I really dont think it matters. Its about  skill and judgement in writing and in that Chris has done an excellent job. Another Michigan State guy might be okay too. I have read Dewines's column in the Fargo Forum many times. I read it knowing he is an SDSU grad.

Also Chris had an opinion piece in yesterday's Argus about the SD Amatuer baseball allowing out of state teams to play for the state title. Its been going on for years, and I would agree with Chris this should not happen. Its still over on the Agrus web under sports. Its also interesting that Chris has played amatuer baseball and played in one state tournament during his five year stay. I too will miss Chris.

Comment

I have met and spoke with Chris several times, A very good guy and an excellent reporter and supporter of SDSU. We will miss him and hopefully will get someone who can compare.

Good Luck, Chris.......

Go Jacks !!!!!!!!
                        http://members.cox.net/geauxcolonels...t/SDSU_bar.png

Comment

Good Luck Solari, You have done a great job covering SDSU athletics and our move to D1. You said you would come back and hang out with us, I'm holding you to it!! Best Wishes!!

Comment

Chris did a fantastic job of covering SDSU. He will be missed, hopefully we can get somone else who can cover SDSU athletics with as much depth as Chris did. Sad to see you go Chris.
                            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Working...
                            X