Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MID CON SITE Visits

The Argus declares the Mid-Con visit "a hit"
    "You're not a Division II institution by any stretch of the imagination," Mid-Con Commissioner Tom Douple said. "You're a Division I institution with a very bright future."
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Congrats and thank you to all the hard working folks that made the site visit the success that it sounds like it was!!! I am very excited about our chances of getting an invite! [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

Go State!

Comment

Good luck to SDSU at getting into the Mid-Con.

Comment

Thank you!
          I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
            Congrats and thank you to all the hard working folks that made the site visit the success that it sounds like it was!!! I am very excited about our chances of getting an invite! [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

Go State!

So did SDSU hit a home run, 89?
            I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

I'm just going by what I read (and a little of what I hear), but as the paper said the visit was a Hit!  

Go State!  

Comment

http://www.brookingsregister.com/mai...51&page=25

Mid-Con officials give thumbs up

BY JOSH LINEHAN

One by one, members of the Mid-Continent Conference's site visit delegation took the stage at the Performing Arts Center on campus Friday and extolled the virtues of SDSU....

"We're leaving here with a very favorable impression of the campus and the athletic department," Mid-Con Commissioner Tom Douple said........

Douple twice took the opportunity to laud Miller and Oien for moving the university to the Division I level, saying, "It was a bold move, but through your vision and courage, it has become a reality, and you are to be commended............."

Douple said if there was a major concern about accepting SDSU into the conference it would be travel.
                "Travel is a concern," Douple said. "But it was also an issue we looked at in-depth before we made the decision to come here."

.......Grom, who toured the athletics facilities, said venues such as Frost Arena and Bob Shelden Field were very comparable to other facilities in the conference, and that SDSU would be in the running to host conference championships in some sports.

Douple added that he thought SDSU would be ready to compete for championships in the conference immediately in some sports, pointing to the schedules the Jacks have played as Division I independents.
                "You're not out there playing the Sturgis All-Stars," he said.......

(Read the whole story at the site listed above)

Comment

The Sports Show with Brad and Scotty on Brookings Radio is advertising a recap (for lack of better term) during the 10 O'clock hour during Monday's 9-11 a.m. show.  For those in the Brookings area.  www.brookingsradio.com
                  or 910 a.m.
                  We...ARE...STATE!
                  SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

From News at State.........

http://gojacks.com/

08/11/2006

Mid-Continent Conference Site Visit Press Conference

Below are excerpts from the press conference with the Mid-Continent Conference site visit team which conducted a study at South Dakota State University Aug. 10-11.

The site visit team has been charged with completing its report by Aug. 18. The Mid-Continent Conference Presidents Council is expected to make a decision on expansion during the first two weeks of September.

Tom Douple, Mid-Continent Conference Commissioner
                    “The goal of our site team was to learn as much as possible about South Dakota State University and after two and a half very filled days with meetings and getting to meet a lot of different people. we feel we have a true handle on what this university is all about."

"Until you’re on campus and until you meet the people involved in running the athletic department, running the university, and community boosters, you don’t get a sense of their passion and their energy about their athletic program ... and we found out about that on this visit."

"A couple years ago President Miller made a decision to move to Division I -- it was a very bold decision for the university. Not all members of the community or the university thought it was the right move, but leadership is about taking a stand, and a commitment and maintaining that. Through that she has gained the respect I know of myself and our team members and many, many Division I folks in the business."

"Looking at the university, the academic degrees that you offer, the facilities, the folks involved in your research, doctoral degrees on campus, you’re not a Division II institution by any stretch of the imagination. You’re a Division I institution with a very, very bright future."

"This is a serious business for us as we celebrate our 25th anniversary year this year, our charge is to make us a strong Divisoin I conference for the next 25 years and we want to get the right members and the right mix of folks involved in that process."

"We are leaving here with a very favorable impression of this entire university.”

“In all honesty, I think location is not one of the stronger points of the visit. We’re not a bus league and we recognize that. Travel is an issue that we looked at in-depth before we made a decision to make site visits, but it is a concern.”

"What I was really pleased with, all the way from the senior administration to the Board of Regents to everyone I met with, everyone is on the same page. Everyone has bought in and wants so bad to be in a Division I conference and it’s our conference. That was really great to feel and to talk to those people involved."

Tim Van Alstine, Director of Athletics at Western Illinois University
                    "There were no surprises -- I think what I learned was more a validation of what Fred and his staff have done over the last several years to put themselves into this position. I was very impressed with the facilities, with the facility growth, with the vision, with the campus master plan , and I think the university is ready to take off."

Cynthia Gabel, Senior Woman Administrator at UMKC
                    "I was struck by (the student-athletes’) commitment, their passion, their leadership, their strength. I was also struck by their commitment back to this community, and the community service element is strong within the whole athletics department."

David Hoass, Faculty Athletics Representative at Centenary College
                    "I must commend you on the fact that your student-athletes are doing better (academically) than the average student at this institution. You should be very proud of that accomplishment."

"I also have to tell you that I’m happy you didn't fall into the mistake of believing the old cliche that says if it ain’t broke don’t fix it. I think the approach you took was correct when you decided that if it ain’t broke,how do we make it better."

Angie Torain, Mid-Continent Conference Associate Commissioner
                    "I was very, very impressed with everyone I talked to -- the student-athletes were the highlight of the day. It was great to see them so enthusiastic about what they do, about joining the conference, and also about being honest with me about the challenges of being an independent."

Ed Grom, Mid-Continent Conference Associate Commissioner
                    "As I looked at all three sites I kind of looked around to see which one of these locations could host different Mid-Con Championships. You definitely have some facilities here that could host (conference championships), and not only that, you have the volunteer base around here that could help support that, as well."

Fred Oien, SDSU Director of Athletics
                    “The move to Division I brought us meeting a whole new group of people. I can just say that in Division I, and especially this group of people, it is amazing how sincere they are about taking care of the student-athlete. I’ve never felt among this group, or any of my other colleagues now that we’ve met in Division I, that I was going to have to fight a war at the administrative level. We call each other, we talk to other, we share for a common purpose and that is to improve life for student-athletes."

Read the rest at site above.......

Comment

Originally posted by D-town
                      The Sports Show with Brad and Scotty on Brookings Radio is advertising a recap (for lack of better term) during the 10 O'clock hour during Monday's 9-11 a.m. show.  For those in the Brookings area.  www.brookingsradio.com
                      or 910 a.m.
                      I listen in to the second hour of the Brad and Scotty Show and heard the replay of the Mid Con Press conference. It gave you goose bumps as all of these people had very good words to say about SDSU. I think these people are very sincere so I think we can expect some very positive reports that will be passed on to the Mid Con President's Council.  I just can't imagine anything less than an invitation.  President Miller got the praise that she has earned in leadership. The Commissioner was particularily completmentry towards Dr. Miller. The replay is planned for 6pm tonight on KJJQ and Scotty also mentioned that it will be archived at the KJJQ website.

David Hoass, Faculty Athletics Representative at Centenary College
                      "I must commend you on the fact that your student-athletes are doing better (academically) than the average student at this institution. You should be very proud of that accomplishment."

David Hoass was very amusing as he indicated that he grew up in South Central Minnesota and during the Q and A some one asked where exactly was he was from, and he said Montevideo and he planned to visit his father after the visit was concluded. He also gave directions on how to get to Monte which indicates he has a very good sense of humor. He also commented on being the newest member of the  Mid Con and the how the campus visit had went at Centenary College. He also commented on how much room SDSU had to grow in terms of a campus space for athletics and academic facilities. I am not sure where in Louisanana Centenary is located but apparently they have campus space problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Haldersham
                        [quote author=D-town link=1152150847/60#67 date=1155445905]The Sports Show with Brad and Scotty on Brookings Radio is advertising a recap (for lack of better term) during the 10 O'clock hour during Monday's 9-11 a.m. show. For those in the Brookings area. www.brookingsradio.com
                        or 910 a.m.
                        I am not sure where in Louisanana Centenary is located but apparently they have campus space problems.
                        [/quote]

It's a super-teeny private college in Shreveport. From their Web site:

1,044 total headcount, including
                        904 undergraduate students
                        140 graduate students
                        31 states represented
                        13 foreign countries represented

32 professors TOTAL.

Makes Dakota State look like Purdue.

Comment

jackphd:
                          Thanks for the information. I could have looked up with a google, but did not at the time. I believe Augie and USF have basiclally the same problem in acquiring additional land adjacent to their existing campus. USF had to go a ways South to get affordable property for the complex. Darn near to Harrisburg I believe.  As nice as the USF athletic complex may be when completed, its seperated from their central SF campus. Not the most desireable if you are doing athletics for the student population.

Getting back to the faculty rep from Centenary. He also mentioned how important the people on campus were, namely adminstrators and faculty. He also said he  has often toldl perspective students that every campus has buildings and grass, but its the people on campus who make the difference.  You wonder how a small private college like Centenary could afford a D1 program, but apparently they are rich in endowments and could the 1000 students be a self imposed limitation to keep the quality of their school in terms of academics?

Comment

Thanks to posters here, on Bisonville, and through the wonder of Google, I've put together a list of articles covering the IPFW, NDSU, and SDSU site visits, all in one place for your reading pleasure. They're at:

http://www.sdsufans.com/article.php/20060815115850321

Enjoy.
                            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

From what I've read and heard, the one negative thing was the issue of travel but the way it was answered leads me to believe it is not a major obstacle.

Douple's quote was “In all honesty, I think location is not one of the stronger points of the visit. We’re not a bus league and we recognize that. Travel is an issue that we looked at in-depth before we made a decision to make site visits, but it is a concern.”

I think there is great reason to be very excited about this opportunity!

What a feeling it will be to finally have a home!

SUPERBUNNY
                              MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by filbert
                                Thanks to posters here, on Bisonville, and through the wonder of Google, I've put together a list of articles covering the IPFW, NDSU, and SDSU site visits, all in one place for your reading pleasure.  They're at:

http://www.sdsufans.com/article.php/20060815115850321

Enjoy.
                                Hey, filbert, whatever you're getting paid it ain't enough! ;D ;D ;D

Thanks for all your hard work! [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

SUPERBUNNY
                                MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X