• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDSU wins twice at Jackrabbit Kickoff

From News at State.....

08/25/2006
    SDSU wins twice at Jackrabbit Kickoff

South Dakota State opened the 2006 volleyball season in victorious fashion Friday, winning both its matches at the Jackrabbit Kickoff Classic at Frost Arena.

The Jackrabbits held off North Dakota State to win their opener in five games, then swept Weber State (Utah) in the final match of the day.

South Dakota State 3, North Dakota State 2
    The Jackrabbits were strong in the beginning and at the end as they rallied to defeat North Dakota State for the eighth consecutive time, winning by scores of 30-13, 25-30, 22-30,30-22 and 15-9.

Minette Ridenour led the SDSU offensive attack with 18 kills and completed a double-double with 11 digs on defense. Kristina Martin and Laura Slagter each tallied 11 kills, while Kristie Klusaw recorded 46 set assists.

Libero Samantha Pearson paced the Jackrabbit defense with 26 digs, while Amy Anderson contributed six blocks.

North Dakota State received a double-double performance from Christy Stuewe, who was a presence on both sides of the net with a team-high 16 kills and a match-high 12 blocks (2 solo, 10 assists). The Bison out-blocked SDSU 16-9 for the match.

Sheila Parrish posted 15 kills and Lindsay Rogers added 12. Kari Fagnan led the Bison with 16 digs.

SDSU hit .542 (15 kills, 2 errors in 24 attempts) in Game 1, then out-hit the Bison .333 to .048 in the decisive fifth game. For the match, NDSU held a .216 to .208 edge in hitting percentage and recorded four more kills than the Jacks. However, SDSU served 13 aces compared to just five by the Bison.

Since North Dakota State and SDSU moved to NCAA Division I in 2004, the Jackrabbits have won all eight meetings between the two former North Central Conference and current independent rivals.

SDSU 3, Weber State 0
    The Jackrabbits clicked on all cylinders in the first two games, then came from behind in Game 3 for a 30-17, 30-13, 30-25 victory.

Sophomore Laura Slagter paced the Jackrabbit offense with 16 kills. Ridenour turned in another double-double performance with 11 kills and 15 digs, with Amy Anderson adding 10 kills and a .600 hitting percentage (10-1-15).

Klusaw tallied 49 assists, while Pearson again led the Jacks defensively with 18 digs.

SDSU hit .514 in Game 1 and .441 in the second game, only to cool off in Game 3 to end the match with a .357 team hitting percentage. Weber State, meanwhile, ended the night with a .115 hitting percentage.

Leah Burmeister led the Wildcat offense with 12 kills.

The Jackrabbits conclude tournament play Saturday with a pair of matches. SDSU will meet Gonzaga at 2 p.m., followed by a 7 p.m. matchup with Washington State. Both SDSU and Washington State ended the first day of action 2-0.

Tournament Home Page

Way to go Jackrabbits! Lets get two more today!

Re: SDSU wins twice at Jackrabbit Kickoff

Game 3 of the season results in a 3-2 come back victory for the Jacks over Gonzaga. Mighty come back from a 2-0 deficit and rallying in the 3rd game after being down. Great vocal crowd for the Jacks. Good showing of students. 3-0 to start the season good way to go.

Comment

I was also at the game versus Gonzaga and the crowd was very vocal.

The Jacks will face Washington State tonight at 7:00 and they are the only undefeated teams in the tournament. I will be there and would encourage other locals on the board to come and cheer on our ladies to the tournament championship.

Comment

I went hatless today so I was kind of matching with the people around me. Superfans of the first row back in strong fashion.

Comment

Are Hawaiian shirts still in vogue at the games? Or was that just something cool we did when Coach first came aboard that hasn't been carried forward.
          I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

hawaiian shirts aren't really around much any more. yellow is the rage at all the home games maybe we need some yellow hawaiian shirts at the home games?

Comment

and off they went to wisconsin today after the press conference. talked to coach and gave him congrats on a good tourney. lets get more fans the 15 and 16th for UMKC, New Mexico State and Lamar.

Comment

Working...
              X