Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jacks WIN Kickoff Tournament! Go undefeated!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jacks WIN Kickoff Tournament! Go undefeated!

From News at State..........

08/26/2006

Jacks end Kickoff Tournament undefeated

Kristie Klusaw was named Most Valuable Player of the Jackrabbit Kickoff Tournament.
    Tournament Most Valuable Player Kristie Klusaw distributed the ball to a variety of offensive weapons as the South Dakota State University volleyball team ended its season-opening Jackrabbit Kickoff Tournament with a pair of victories Saturday at Frost Arena.

The Jackrabbits, 4-0 overall, opened the day by rallying for a five-game victory over Gonzaga (Wash.), then held off Washington State in four games. Klusaw was joined on the all-tournament team by senior outside hitter Minette Ridenour and sophomore middle hitter Emily Rooney.
    In addition, Ridenour topped the 1,000-dig mark for her career in the Washington State match, becoming the 10th Jackrabbit in history to reach the milestone. The Council Bluffs, Iowa, native also became just the fourth player in SDSU history to reach the 1,000 mark in both kills and digs. She topped the 1,000-kill mark during the 2005 season.

SDSU 3, Gonzaga 2
    Gonzaga took a two-games-to-one lead, but Kristina Martin and the Jackrabbits came back for a 25-30, 30-23, 28-30, 30-24, 15-12 victory. SDSU led 11-6 in Game 5 before Gonzaga tied the game at 12. The Jackrabbits then scored the final three points of the match.

Martin, a junior outside hitter, led SDSU with 20 kills and added 11 digs. Ridenour tallied 16 kills and 17 digs, followed by Rooney’s 15 kills. Amy Anderson added 14 kills and Laura Slagter contributed 10 kills.

Klusaw ran the Jackrabbit offense with 66 set assists and added four blocks as SDSU out-blocked the Bulldogs 15-10. Samantha Pearson turned in a match-high 23 digs.

All-tournament selection Becky Jones led Gonzaga with a match-high 21 kills and 18 digs. Briawna Mueller and Elaina Renius each totaled 17 kills and Layne Brosky added 12. Heather Dunn added a double-double with 61 kills and 11 digs.

Gonzaga ended the tournament with a 1-3 record.

SDSU 3, Washington State 1
    Ridenour posted her fourth straight double-double with match-highs 26 kills and 24 digs to lead SDSU to a win between tournament unbeatens.

SDSU grabbed the early momentum with a balanced offensive attack and strong blocking, winning the first two games by scores of 30-23 and 31-29. After Washington State won Game 3 30-24, the Jackrabbits scored the final three points of Game 4 to win 30-28 and take the match.

Amy Anderson collected 12 kills, with Slagter, Rooney and Martin all being credited with 11 kills. Slagter and Martin finished off double-doubles with 18 and 14 digs, respectively.

Klusaw also turned in a double-double with 68 assists and 10 digs. Samantha Pearson added 21 digs from her libero position.

Washington State, 3-1 overall, was led by all-tournament selection Adetokunbo Faleti’s 18 kills. Kelly Rosin posted 17 kills, with Brittany Johnson adding 14 and Tara West contributing 12 kills.

Setter Corina Beyer, the Cougars’ other all-tournament pick, tallied 60 set assists and 16 digs. Kelly Hyder notched 19 digs.

SDSU will travel to the Inntowner Invitational Friday and Saturday in Madison, Wis. The Jackrabbits will take on Oregon State at 5 p.m. Friday. SDSU will then face host Wisconsin at noon Saturday, followed by a 5 p.m. matchup Saturday with Oklahoma.

GREAT JOB, JACKRABBITS! WE'RE ALL VERY PROUD OF YOU!

Re: Jacks WIN Kickoff Tournament! Go undefeated!

Kind of "Lame" coverage from the Argus..........

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...PORTS/50411008

Today's Sports Briefs
    From Staff & Wire Reports
    August 27, 2006

SDSU goes 4-0 in own tourney
    South Dakota State’s volleyball team won twice Saturday in Brookings to go unbeaten in the Jackrabbit Kickoff Tournament.

SDSU beat Gonzaga 25-30, 30-23, 28-30, 30-24, 15-12 and Washington State 30-23, 31-29, 24-30, 30-28 to finish 4-0 in its season-opening tourney.

SDSU setter Kristie Klusaw was named tourney MVP. Teammates Emily Rooney and Minette Ridenour also were named to the all-tourney team.

Against Washington State, Ridenour had 26 kills and 24 digs. Amy Anderson had 12 kills and Kristina Martin, Laura Slagter and Rooney 11 each. Samantha Pearson had 21 digs, Slagter 18, Martin 14 and Klusaw 10. Klusaw had 68 set assists. SDSU outhit the Cougars .241-.228.

Against Gonzaga, SDSU led 11-6 in Game 5 before Gonzaga tied the game at 12. The Jackrabbits then scored the final three points of the match. Martin had 20 kills, Ridenour 16, Rooney 15, Anderson 14 and Slagter 10 for the Jackrabbits. Pearson had 23 digs, Ridenour 17 and Martin 11. Klusaw had 66 set assists. SDSU outhit Gonzaga .240-.225.

Augustana, South Dakota and the University of Sioux Falls each went 0-2 Saturday to finish 1-3 in their season-opening tourneys...........

Augustana lost to Metro State.........and Ferris State........

The University of South Dakota lost to Eckerd ......and Southern Indiana.......

The University of Sioux Falls lost to Bellevue....... and Hastings........

Obviously it wasn't because there were bigger stories to cover (in volleyball)

Comment

When I went into Frost yesterday, KFSY and KELO both had SUV'S out front and apparently they shot some footage of the SDSU and Gonzaga match so maybe it will be on tonight. Sometimes they use Sunday to catch up on what they could not show on Saturday.  

Also watched on ESPN  some of the Wisconsin and Ohio U match that went five games. Our Ladies have got a real challenge ahead of them next week when they face the Badgers, who are very tall and talented. Wisconsin is No 4 in the Polls BTW.   Ohio U gave them a real run for their money, but their coaches kind of flubbed the subsitution of players. You can subsitute position for position but can not subsitute one position for another. I am not that familiar with the different positions to speak intelligently, but it caused Ohio U to lose a point, which  was news to me. I always thought that once you put points on the board, they stayed there, but apparently coaching mistakes can cause them to come off the board. It kind of slowed the momentum for Ohio U. Wisconsin went on to win.  I am sure SDSU would have their hands full with Ohio U too.

None-the-less I am very proud of SDSU. We are coming on getting better probably with each match. Andrew Palieo and coach Mc Daniels are both good coaches.  I would recommend that more fans show up  on the Sept 15th as the ladies deserve our support. I wished there were more home matches, but its like all the other sports in the reclassification period, very hard to get a reasonable schedule. I am amazed that Andrew Palieo was able to get Washington State, Gonzaga and Weber State to come to Frost. We should have had better crowds as no doubt a guarentees had to be paid to these four team including NDSU. I have no idea how much the guarentee amounted to, but if we made enough from ticket revenue to pay the guarentees, then great, but I think some of last year's guarnentee money will probably have to be used to pay the difference. Just speculating here, but the point is we all need to support the teams that are doing well by being in the seats and buying tickets. It was a long ways from being standing room only at Frost and the crowd help keep Washington State in check.

Comment

Way to go Jacks!! Going 4-0 was a huge accomplishment. Anytime you defeat a PAC 10 team (Wash. St.)in volleyball that is something very special. Enjoy the success, the fans are very proud of you all!!

Comment

According to the game program, none of the four were over .500 in wins last year. Washington State finished second to last in the PAC, but I agree anytime we can beat a PAC member, it's an accompolishment. These teams seem to be more than adequate for the young Jacks to start out with. With Wisconsin being No4 in the country in volleyball, ideally it would be better to play them a little later in the season. Just watching Wisconsin for a few minutes on ESPN, its going to be a battle for our Jacks. Who knows it could be an upset in the making.

Comment

I don't know much about volleyball, but beating the likes of Washington State and Gonzaga sure sounds better than losing to Metro State, Ferris State, Eckerd, Southern Indiana, Bellevue, or Hastings. Cheers to Div. I and good luck to the jacks for the rest of their season.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchell2006

I don't know much about volleyball, but beating the likes of Washington State and Gonzaga sure sounds better than losing to Metro State, Ferris State, Eckerd, Southern Indiana, Bellevue, or Hastings. Cheers to Div. I and good luck to the jacks for the rest of their season.

Hey come and watch watch the Jacks!!! Mitchell is not that far away from Brookings. You will soon learn about volleyball. Its hardly the picnic sport I once thought it was.  Also this team is on its way up.  I did not see anything on SF tv about the match. It should have gotten better coverage.  We could have used more butts in the seats too, but maybe the interest will pickup. Thats the reason I keep responding as I hope more people will become interested.

Comment

I actually live in Brookings, my name is Mitchell (not the town)....., I've caught a few VB games in my day, but don't keep up very much with who is good and what not. I couldn't make the tourny this week, but listened to some of the games on the radio while driving.

Comment

Message from Elaina Renius (Gonzaga) - 6'5" girl from gonzaga.
                  Yesterday at 7:12 pm
                  To: Nick 'Blue Hat'
                  Subject: ummm hey
                  Message: did you watch our games this past weekend? i'm thinking we should have beaten you guys but decided to sack out in the 5th game instead. a much more reasonable decision.

I think our fans got to them.

Comment

I was on a flight about 6 months ago and sat by a woman who knew everything there was to know about NCAA womens volleyball. (she worked for the NCAA in womens athletics in some capacity)She was familiar with Coach Palileo, and SDSU. She flat out stated that we would be a top 25 program within 2-3 years. I think that may a true statement.

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman
                      Message from Elaina Renius (Gonzaga) - 6'5" girl from gonzaga.
                      Yesterday at 7:12 pm
                      To: Nick 'Blue Hat'
                      Subject: ummm hey
                      Message: did you watch our games this past weekend? i'm thinking we should have beaten you guys but decided to sack out in the 5th game instead. a much more reasonable decision.

I think our fans got to them.
                      "We shoulda won" means "we lost" no matter how you spin it. One of those harsh life lessons that athletics teaches better than almost any other academic activity.
                      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I think the ladies have a good shot at winning a couples matches in Madison this week-end. I feel we are better than Oregon State and Oklahoma and who know, maybe an upset of host Wisconsin. A great start in Jackrabbit nation.

Comment

Ladies come back from 2-0 deficit to beat a second Pac-10 team (Oregon State) in 5. Way to Jacks. Get after the Badgers and Sooners tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                          X