Soccer vs. St.Marys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soccer vs. St.Marys

Just returned from SDSU's 7-0 vistory over St.Marys. A dominating performance by the ladies.

Re: Soccer vs. St.Marys

Great start for the ladies!

How much have things improved since last year...by my count they have now equaled their total number of goals from last year in the first four games (13).
    I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

You are correct. The soccer program is off to a great start. There was a good crowd at the game also.

Comment

09/04/2006
        http://gojacks.com/

Jackrabbits rout Flames in home opener

BROOKINGS, S.D. — Chelsea Goosen netted two goals and assisted on another as the South Dakota State University women’s soccer team broke or tied three records en route to a 7-0 shutout of College of Saint Mary Monday afternoon at Fishback Soccer Park.

Goosen put SDSU on the board 16 minutes into the match, scoring off an assist from Kelsey Worcester. Kelly Larson gave the Jacks a 2-0 advantage in the first half off a free kick from 15 yards out. The goal marked Larson’s first career goal as a Jackrabbit.

Freshman Natasha Swift would increase the SDSU lead at the 29th minute mark, off an assist from Goosen and Kerstyn Farrell. Goosen would score 14 seconds later to give SDSU a 4-0 advantage halfway through the first half. The 14 seconds in between goals set a new school record for shortest span between two goals. The previous record of 18 seconds was set by Jennifer Briggs and Melissa Speiser against Sioux Falls in 2000.

Sophomore Erin Kasmarik closed out the first half scoring, finding the back of the net off an assist from Heather Hill.

Vanessa Paswaters continued the SDSU scoring in the second half, netting a goal in the 55th minute of the match. Hill added a late goal in the contest off an assist from Erin Sakata and Kellie Van Gerpen to give the Jacks the 7-0 victory.

In the match, Worcester’s three assists tied Molly Scharfenkamp for number of assists in one game. Scharfenkamp previously set the record against Minnesota-Crookston in 2003. The Jacks also tied the team record for number of assists in one game with nine. The previous record was set by the 2002 team against Minnesota State, Moorhead.

SDSU outshot the Flames 33-3 in the match, including a 19-0 advantage in the second half. Senior goalkeeper Jenn Davis recorded the shutout for the Jacks, while Laura Forbes made nine saves for CSM. The shutout marked Davis’s second of the year.

With the win, the Jacks moved to 3-1-0 on the year, while Saint Mary’s dropped to 1-2-0 on the season.

South Dakota State will travel to Fargo, N.D. for the Bison Invite this weekend. The Jacks will take on Weber State Friday to open the invite. Start time for the match against the Wildcats is set for 4:30 p.m.

Box Score http://www3.sdstate.edu/ClassLibrary..._Box_Score.pdf

Comment

I too was at the game and saw a number of other student athletes out supporting the soccer team.

I also saw that Creighton tied Northern Illinois, who we beat last weekend.

We could see some exciting things out of this program this year and future years.

CatchEm, you are quite the soccer expert!!!

Comment

Originally posted by rabbit_tracks
            CatchEm, you are quite the soccer expert!!!
            I am what is known as "A great soccer mind".
            I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Working...
            X