New (or Renewed) Rivalries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New (or Renewed) Rivalries

I know that NDSU has become our big rival since we made the jump to D-1, replacing the triad rivalry with USeD and Augie. Any thoughts with who we should develop a new (or renewed) rivalry???

Note: If you choose other, please post.

I say bring on the Leathernecks since we'll be joining the Mid-Con and may possibly be playing them in football on a regular basis (hopefully we'll join the Gateway).

Re: New (or Renewed) Rivalries

I voted for other, in Men's Basketball Oral Roberts.

Comment

Oral Roberts for sure!!! they are like a big augie-one that cares about winning and has fan support. Besides its easy to hate Ned Flanders' alma mater!!

Comment

I voted for Other.

The whole rivalry environment is "target-rich":

Basketball-MidCon: UMKC (proximity); Oral Roberts (consistent success); Southern Utah (we might as well join the Mid-Con whine-fest about the trip to Utah!)
        Basketball-Non-conference: Northern Iowa, Creighton (go after the big dogs in the region, sorry, Minnesota )
        Football-GWFC: UC Davis. Them California boys only think they're aggies;
        Football-Non-conference: Northern Iowa, anybody from Louisiana
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I think UND, NDSU, and USD are what they are. They will increase for those at the same level.

I voted for Northern Iowa. They are geographically near and comparable to SDSU. I expect them to be on our schedules more and more.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks99
            I think UND, NDSU, and USD are what they are.  They will increase for those at the same level.

I voted for Northern Iowa.  They are geographically near and comparable to SDSU.  I expect them to be on our schedules more and more.
            Ditto for me.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Ozark_Jack
              Oral Roberts for sure!!!  they are like a big augie-one that cares about winning and has fan support. Besides its easy to hate Ned Flanders' alma mater!!
              ditto.

Go State!  

Comment

Originally posted by filbert
                I voted for Other.

The whole rivalry environment is "target-rich":

Basketball-MidCon:  UMKC (proximity); Oral Roberts (consistent success); Southern Utah (we might as well join the Mid-Con whine-fest about the trip to Utah!)
                Basketball-Non-conference:  Northern Iowa, Creighton (go after the big dogs in the region, sorry, Minnesota   )
                Football-GWFC:  UC Davis.  Them California boys only think they're aggies;
                Football-Non-conference:  Northern Iowa, anybody from Louisiana  
                I vote that you guys should have ORU, so that someone else can give them a run when we leave. Does 2 years count as consistent success :-)??

Comment

UNI comes back from 14 down and skunks us in the 2nd half. I return to my truck and my SDSU flag as been stolen. Screw UNI and their lame fans. I say kickin their butts on a regular basis would be a great goal and should result in some rivalry. UNI has success in several of the major sports. Bring and the panthers!!
                  We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

UNI.

Comment

Thank you for voting in the poll. I just selected schools that played both football and basketball for the poll because I think there is a carryover factor in a rivalry from sport-to-sport and that football is typically the largest events in terms of attendance. (If Oral Roberts would come to Frost and beat us, we can't yell "Wait Until Football Season!"....we can just chant "At least we have a football team!&quot. I will start a poll at some point to ask who our biggest non-football rivalry should be.......

I'm not very surprised with the results of the poll (to date). UNI seems to be the athletic program that SDSU wants to emulate and the MoValley/Gateway conference combo seems to be the ideal goal for the Jackrabbit nation. Some fans would love to jeer USD again, but it's NOT a top priority for fans........

P.S. Mav Twins, Jackrabbit Nation does not miss playing you guys.........

Comment

Working...
                      X