• Show
Clear All

• President Chicoine and SDSU athletics

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...06/1002/SPORTS

SDSU president: Sports important for growth

By Terry Vandrovec
    tvandrovec@argusleader.com
    Published: January 27, 2007

There are still bare screws on his office walls - David Chicoine is that new in his role as the president of South Dakota State University.

His plans for the school's athletic department remain largely general less than one month into his new appointment. But he brings a vast knowledge of Division I's inner workings to the SDSU challenge, having spent 11 years as the University of Illinois' faculty athletic representative to the Big Ten Conference and the NCAA.

What's more, he's been an athlete his whole life - track, baseball, basketball and football in high school and intramurals while a student at SDSU. Today, at age 59, he still possesses a svelteness that conveys athleticism.

Chicoine even came up with a sports analogy for his probable role in the SDSU athletic department, saying he might help design the playbook, act as a coach when necessary and, primarily, block downfield rather than carry the ball.

That doesn't mean he'll just be a rubber stamp for athletics. Rather, he has the experience and a genuine interest in how athletics can help the whole university.

"I think the athletic program can help achieve the aspirations of this institution," Chicoine said. "When I interviewed for this job it was clear all the stakeholders have very high aspirations for this institution and the momentum is really strong.

"I think a Division I athletic program is a complement and a mechanism by which those high aspirations can be achieved. ... Any chain is only as strong as its weakest link, so we need to have strength in our intercollegiate athletic programs."  .  .  .  (read more)

Go State!  

Re: President Chicoine and SDSU athletics

He sounds like he's 100% on top of why a Land-Grant university needs a strong athletic program . . .
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

This was a great article. It gives me assurance that we are in good hands in terms of a president. The Faculty Rep experience and working within the Big 10 will be invaluable. His expertise could not come at a better time. I like the analogy of being a down field blocker and thats about the most you can expect from any president.

I believe the CEO of Sioux Valley Hospital was President Chicoine's guest last Thursday night at the BB game. Sioux Valley has been in USD hip pocket for a long time since they work with the School of Medicine. I don't know what if anything we can make from this, but it shows our president is a real bridge builder.

Comment

Yup. Saw the Krabbenhofts and the Dykhouses sitting with Dr. Oien and Dr. Chicoine. A friend of mine talked to Mr. Krabbenhoft and said how much she has enjoyed watching his son play for Wisconsin (they're really, really good this year.) She said his face lit up and that he was a very friendly and cordial fellow.
        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack
          Yup. Saw the Krabbenhofts and the Dykhouses sitting with Dr. Oien and Dr. Chicoine. A friend of mine talked to Mr. Krabbenhoft and said how much she has enjoyed watching his son play for Wisconsin (they're really, really good this year.) She said his face lit up and that he was a very friendly and cordial fellow.
          Anyone know about the possibility of Wisconsin coming to SD to play in two years during Krabbenhoft's senior year?
          Go Big! Go Blue! Go Jacks!

Comment

I don't think Wisconsin will be coming to Frost for a while, whether Krabbenhoft is on the team or not. I did learn from a reliable source that dad, Kelby Krabbenhoft is now on the SDSU Foundation Board as is the CEO from McKennen Avera. Apparently both are going to be instrumental with the Foundation in raising funds for a new science building. Not sure what kind of science or if its part of the research park. So it would appear Sioux Valley Hospital is not exclusively pro USD, and that SDSU will play a role of some sort in the future of both hospitals. Also Sioux Valley has a clinic in Brookings, so they have a local interest in SDSU and the Brookings community.

Comment

Is that money for the replacement building for Shepard Hall, or is this going to be a completely new building?

Comment

Originally posted by JackerRabbit
                Is that money for the replacement building for Shepard Hall, or is this going to be a completely new building?
                I'm guessing that raising money for the replacement of Shepard would be the top priority for Krabbenhoft since SDSU is educating a lot of needed pharmacists and nurses for the Sioux Falls area. They may also want to be part of the Innovation Campus since Avera does some research work up here. Finally, Sioux Valley just has to keep with Avera in the ongoing battle for competition for clients, especially since Avera ia already a major sponsor of SDSU athletics.......it's just like when a major company donates money to both political parties; you're certain to be on the winning side.......

Comment

I believe Daktronics has a "little" bit of money going into the Shepard Hall upgrades and etc.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack
                    Certainly an exciting and important time for the new President and the foundation. I have a lot of respect for both Mr. Krabbenhoft and Mr. Dykhouse. I also appreciate all that they and there employers have done to support the institutions of higher learning in this state.

I wonder if Mr. Dykhouse's "boss" is interested in helping SDSU out? The U of M and the USD school of medicine (now in his name) are just a couple of those who have benefited from Mr. Sanford's generosity.
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd
                      [quote author=JimmyJack link=1169900887/0#3 date=1169939274].

I wonder if Mr. Dykhouse's "boss" is interested in helping SDSU out?  The U of M and the USD school of medicine (now in his name) are just a couple of those who have benefited from Mr. Sanford's generosity.
                      Excellent question. I sure don't have the answer

Comment

After reading the articles on Presidents Abbot and Chicoine I feel pretty good about our guy!

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The future is bright 8-)
                        "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                        -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by Haldersham
                          [quote author=jackmd link=1169900887/0#9 date=1170034288][quote author=JimmyJack link=1169900887/0#3 date=1169939274].

I wonder if Mr. Dykhouse's "boss" is interested in helping SDSU out? The U of M and the USD school of medicine (now in his name) are just a couple of those who have benefited from Mr. Sanford's generosity.
                          Excellent question. I sure don't have the answer[/quote]

Most recent rumor (***attention, rumor alert***) has Sanford giving $400 million to Sioux Valley Hospital, renamed Sanford Sioux Valley Health System or something like that. Could happen soon.
                          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

That's really interesting.....I had clinicals this morning at Sioux Valley Hospital and one of the girls that works there was talking about it. But all she knew was that there was something big coming out and she thought it had to do with the name. They wouldn't actually say what was going on though....so to help out your *rumor*...there ya go.

Comment

Not sure of the exact number, but it is true Sanford is stepping up big again for the Sioux Valley Childrens Hospital and more...

Comment

Working...
                              X