Clear All

• Wellness Center Design and Expansion

Here is the link:
    http://www.sdsufoundation.org/sdsu.aspx?pgID=932
    We...ARE...STATE!
    SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Re: Wellness Center Design and Expansion

Funky... looks nice

But I thought the original plan was to put the wellness center at the SDSU practice field and use one side for the visitor's bleachers.
    I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabit1
      Funky... looks nice

But I thought the original plan was to put the wellness center at the SDSU practice field and use one side for the visitor's bleachers.
      That plan went by the wayside about a decade ago. The current wellness center is primarily a result of a push by the students and will be funded by an increase in their fees as well as support from the legislature. Its not a primary "athletic complex". Again, thats my understanding.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd
        [quote author=jackrabit1 link=1161684307/0#1 date=1161700237]Funky... looks nice

That plan went by the wayside about a decade ago.  The current wellness center is primarily a result of a push by the students and will be funded by an increase in their fees as well as support from the legislature.  Its not a primary "athletic complex".  Again, thats my understanding.[/quote]

The plan for putting it on the side of the stadium was back in 1997 so JackMD is right. The plan was then moved because of planning for the new women's lockerrooms for Title IX that are part of the same construction project. The new center is funded by a $2.75 General Activity Fee Increase with $2 going to construction and $.75 going to operation. As far as legislative support, we had to have their permission to expand the center from 6 million to 12 million but no money. The money is all about 7.5 million in student fees, a few million in donations from a fund raising drive in the mid-90's, and some other campus revenues that had been slated for the project.

The plans on the website are conceptual but not final too. Until we go out for bid's in January some minor changes may be made. The landscaping outside is completely just for a general idea. The landscaping will not look like whats in the plan. The architects put it in as an example. We are finishing up the buildings electrical, plumbing, etc things right now. We are looking at landscaping but that is later on once the building is finalized. If anyone has any questions I'd be happy to answer them.

Comment

Thank you for the clarifications el_presidente! As you leave your post in the future you need to make sure the future president is aware of the obligation to the members of this forum.

Building looks great in the conceptual stages.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

Actually el-presidente isn't the current presidente, just still involved. What a guy!
            "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
            -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by eqguy
              Actually el-presidente isn't the current presidente, just still involved.  What a guy!
              Is the current president a member of the board? If not, why not? I can think of a lot of reasons (like they have a life) and I'm just curious.

Comment

Regents approve $9 million bond issue for work in Brookings, Spearfish
                By By Terry Woster
                twoster@midco.net
                PUBLISHED: November 22, 2006
                PIERRE – South Dakota’s Board of Regents approved a $9 million bond issue today to finance projects at its public universities in Spearfish and Brookings.

During a special meeting held by teleconference, the board authorized about $1.25 million in borrowing to finance improvements in several parking lots on the campus of Black Hills State University.

The Board also authorized nearly $7.7 million in projects for South Dakota State University, including a share of the construction cost of a $12 million wellness center.

SDSU also wants to to electrical upgrades and other work on residence halls.

None of the regents on the call voted against the projects.

The tax-exempt bonds carry an interest rate of 3.92 percent.

Link here: http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...007/-1/UPDATES

The Regents are only allowed 10 million per fiscal year in tax free bonds. 7.7 million of the tax free bonds went to SDSU, 6 of which went to the wellness center. The regents still have 1 million they can bond for tax free between now and July 1 (end of fiscal year). The 3.92 percent interest rate is a nice bonus of having a tax free bond. I wish I could get a loan for 3.92 percent.

Comment

Is that a covered walkway that I see between the wellness center and the HPER? Now that's a site for sore eyes for anyone that's ever walked the campus in Brookings in February.

Comment

What is the status of the construction timeline. Will they begin this spring? Has anything changed in the design?

Comment

From what I know they are going to try and start as soon as they can after the ground thaws.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitinTea
                        Is that a covered walkway that I see between the wellness center and the HPER?  Now that's a site for sore eyes for anyone that's ever walked the campus in Brookings in February.
                        It is a connecting walkway between the second floor of the HPER, leaving near the pool. The building is awesome.

If you take and draw a line north/south at the east end of the Student Union, and then draw a north/south line at the west end of the new Wellness Center, there is just a 30-foot corridor! The building is, of course, further north, but give you an idea of how far it streches!!

Comment

Seven bids for the wellness center were accepted yesterday and they will be weeded out over the next ten days. We should begin construction in late March or earily April.

Comment

This is going to be a significant recruiting amenity for both students and student athletes!

Comment

Are they tearing down the Barn?
                              LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Working...
                              X