Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Jackrabbit Logo

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY
    [quote author=goon link=1160660665/120#132 date=1171584674][quote author=SUPERBUNNY link=1160660665/120#131 date=1171581729]The powers that will be will make a good choice!  Let's just leave it to them.

IT'S JUST A LOGO!!!

SUPERBUNNY
    Dont tell me you have been happy with the logo to start with.  I think of everything they would all need modifications to them to keep them happy but it appears some people just want to make sure that this is something that represents the school well.  If you dont care what the new logo looks like, then don't post about, but some people want it too look nice, and So far the only things that have looked good enough to think of so far are the brandon based designs.  As for the money that we have spent, it will cost the school a lot more im sure if they have a logo on clothes and school equipment that no one wants to buy.  Having a new logo can go both ways for the marketing idea.  all of the talk about a logo good or bad to me shows the passion that so many people have for this school.  We talk about how things have changed on campus with envolvement and all but over all, the passion people have for this school to me is not any lesser then it ever has been.  [/quote]

Goon,

Thanks for the disertation and questioning my passion for SDSU!  

I agree that all of the comments show how passionate people are about SDSU.  I think my passion is fairly well documented on here.  I'm going to cheer SDSU if the new logo is flat-out hideous!  As far as the current logo goes, I'm fine with it but I will go along with a change, not a big issue for me either way!

My point was that we are SOUTH DAKOTA STATE UNIVERSITY and to have people willing to end their association with SOUTH DAKOTA STATE UNIVERSITY because of change in the way our beloved JACKRABBIT looks is probably over the top and a misses the mark.

For marketing purposes, there is no question that a new logo could be a boon or a bust but I'm willing to let the committee take care of it.  If others aren't, that's their opinion and that's great too.

Goon, will you be less of a fan of SDSU if you don't like the logo?  

Now I'm late for the game!

GO JACKRABBITS (old school or new and improved)!

SUPERBUNNY
    [/quote]
    I hope i didn't make it sound like i meant you. If your happy with it what ever it is thats good for you. I will still support and love SDSU like I always have, however that does not mean that i will love the new logo just because its new. If its well worth it i will be happy and if it is lame, i will be disapointed but it will not affect my feelings toward SDSU. Im a young guy but i guess im old school, Im all for new and improved if that is what is really is, but just cuz its new does not make it improved from my viewpoint. It also could be new and ruined, and im sure nobody wants that. Thats my concern, Its taking a logo that most people really do like, and are turning it into something that people are not so sure about. Schools with lesser passion would not even have any discussion about a logo change like we have here. I think something people are passionate about with this school should voice their opinion over things no matter what, good or bad.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

I think the three samples from the Brandon firm show why the admin made the correct choice of going with a firm that has experience in designing logos. I did not like the mock-up shown a couple of weeks ago, but to me, it was clearly superior to the three in the most recent Collegian. Remember how Phoenix was ripped for not having seen a jackrabbit before? What do you think the response would have been if they had come out with "jack rabbit" instead of "jackrabbit"? I think the designs wouldn't have been even looked at.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.../NEWS/70304003

Comment

Here is the full length story in todays Argus:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...0311/1001/NEWS

Fresh Produce tried to convey a strong, quick mascot in motion.

"We wanted to do something more lifelike, more athletic, fast," Heeren said.

Heeren and Hart made their presentation last fall to an SDSU official. Their graphic designer had developed three different logo designs - one that featured an aggressive-looking rabbit in pursuit of its prey.

"It would have been better if they had given at least one local firm (the chance) to pitch," Heeren said. "A lot of people in South Dakota are more familiar with the Jackrabbit."
          There was a catch to their presentation - Jackrabbit was spelled with two words. Heeren said it was an oversight they didn't catch until they were in Brookings. But they received a positive response, and SDSU appreciated they took the effort.
          IMHO spelling Jackrabbit with two words is kind of like misspelling a word on your resume, your SOL'ed before the interview begins.

Comment

Yeah, I definetely read that line twice, in disbelief. Are we sure they are even alumni. How could something like that be overlooked? People wonder why we went outside the state for a new design.

Comment

Other then the spelling error of jackrabbits I like the design.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbitdw
                Here is the full length story in todays Argus:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...0311/1001/NEWS

Fresh Produce tried to convey a strong, quick mascot in motion.

"We wanted to do something more lifelike, more athletic, fast," Heeren said.

Heeren and Hart made their presentation last fall to an SDSU official. Their graphic designer had developed three different logo designs - one that featured an aggressive-looking rabbit in pursuit of its prey.

"It would have been better if they had given at least one local firm (the chance) to pitch," Heeren said. "A lot of people in South Dakota are more familiar with the Jackrabbit."
                There was a catch to their presentation - Jackrabbit was spelled with two words. Heeren said it was an oversight they didn't catch until they were in Brookings. But they received a positive response, and SDSU appreciated they took the effort.
                IMHO spelling Jackrabbit with two words is kind of like misspelling a word on your resume, your SOL'ed before the interview begins.
                Exactly. Attention to detail. Kind of important.
                Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Here's the thing that really gets me about this firm: Not only do they show "Jack Rabbits" to the athletic department, but they further undermine their credibility by releasing their "error" images to the SDSU Collegian AND the Argus Leader! I know that these guys are just trying to help out, but they're going to be out of business in one heck of a hurry because the entire state now knows that they can't even get the mascot name right for the state's largest university. :-[ :-[ :-[

Comment

I would like to point out that these two gentlemen are supporters of SDSU.  Misguided attempt, yes.  They were just trying to be helpful.  I don't think they were trying to undermine anybody.  I'm sure their mistakes have been brought to their attention.
                    LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

I know that these guys mean well and have worked with SDSU entities before, but why would you release the "oversight" to a statewide newspaper? Anyone can see it on the Argus website......

Comment

You know what nighthawk, you're right. They kind of set themselves up for this. Did they attend the selection committee meeting without being invited? It almost sounds like they are trying to undermine the system. Ignore my last post.
                        LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by NightHawk78
                          I know that these guys mean well and have worked with SDSU entities before, but why would you release the "oversight" to a statewide newspaper? Anyone can see it on the Argus website......
                          Seems like a big deal to me if you're trying to get some business that you misspell the only words on the job application. Then, to release it to the media after a negative story appears about the logo process seems to me either to demonstrate a lack of concern for getting things right ("It's all good!&quot or an interest in embarrassing the university.
                          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

That firm smells like they have a tinge of bitterness to them.

Comment

Yikes.... I guess a small gap, space, whatever between two words is a bi g de al. I equate it to Hobo Day(s). I commonly hear SDSU Alums/students refer to it incorrectly as Hobo Days. More of a pet peeve that worth jumping all over it.

I think it was a good attempt, I haven't seen the others so I can't compare, but nothing wrong with making a go at it.

Comment

Yikes.... I guess a small gap, space, whatever between two words is a bi g de al. I equate it to Hobo Day(s). I commonly hear SDSU Alums/students refer to it incorrectly as Hobo Days. More of a pet peeve that worth jumping all over it.

I think it was a good attempt, I haven't seen the others so I can't compare, but nothing wrong with making a go at it.
                                For most students Hobo Day is actually Hobo DAYS.

Comment

Working...
                                X