State of STATE?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• State of STATE?

I just wanted to start a thread to get some discussion going about the great strides our university and athletic department have made in the last year and what everyone thinks will happen next. In the last eight months we have went from being a D-1 Independent to being in the Mid-Con and now Gateway Football Conference. We just had a wrestler qualify for the NCAA championship. Our women's basketball team appears to be heading to the WNIT and rewriting history on how to transition to D-1. Our football team finished the season ranked in the top 25 and signed a great recruiting class.

Areas for improvement include our Men's basketball program (the wins and losses part, I think the right people are in place) and football facilities. Like I said I just want to get some discussion going, especially during this "dead time" between seasons.
    Go Big! Go Blue! Go Jacks!

Re: State of STATE?

Originally posted by gatewayrabbit
    I just wanted to start a thread to get some discussion going about the great strides our university and athletic department have made in the last year and what everyone thinks will happen next.  In the last eight months we have went from being a D-1 Independent to being in the Mid-Con and now Gateway Football Conference.  We just had a wrestler qualify for the NCAA championship.  Our women's basketball team appears to be heading to the WNIT and rewriting history on how to transition to D-1.  Our football team finished the season ranked in the top 25 and signed a great recruiting class.

Areas for improvement include our Men's basketball program (the wins and losses part, I think the right people are in place) and football facilities.  Like I said I just want to get some discussion going, especially during this "dead time" between seasons.
    I think SDSU definitely is headed in the right direction. Everything points for some strong teams in many sports. I hope the administration can use this momentum. The only real question is how all this success will be perceived with fundraising. It is the KEY and always will be. All friends, fans alumni (both varsity and non varsity) need to seriously consider giving to SDSU. I do not know if SDSU does/ or does not have the staying power financially. I do believe it is time for the Administration to give us real figures on how close we are on the $20 million dollar campaign for athletic scholarships. Both in terms of pledged and cash in hand.

We...ARE...STATE!
    SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

The state of SDSU Athletics is very good. The fact that we now have very solid homes for 20 of the 21 sports that we compete in with the opportunity to compete for national titles once the transition period ends is a fantastic thing. In my mind, the successes of the students in competition has been outstanding for this stage as well. Yes, there are definitely stuggles but that has to be expected. The way our students are performing in the classsroom is probably the most important thing and they are again doing an outstanding job. So, overall, I am thrilled with the how things have gone in transition to this point.

The future challenges:

1. Get every sport to their maximum scholarship level and get them endowed.
      2. Upgrading facilities.
      3. Add staff to get the sports to their maximum coaching levels.

All three of those things have to do with one thing, $$$$$$$$$$. They have done a good job of fundraising to this point but the work continues and probably even accelerates from here on out. Continuing to see success in the future in competition will play a big factor. Mid-Con championships and competing for NCAA titles will continue to raise the visibility of SDSU athletics and raise the opportunities for support.

When you look back to when the announcement was made to move to D-1 and follow it through to now, one has to be pleased with what has happened. There could be so many more issues facing us that would really set us back. Imagine if we were faced with a few more years as an independent. Things are definitely looking up!

Good leadership has been the key to laying down a path to follow and we have been very fortunate in that regard!

SUPERBUNNY
      MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY
        The state of SDSU Athletics is very good.  The fact that we now have very solid homes for 20 of the 21 sports that we compete in with the opportunity to compete for national titles once the transition period ends is a fantastic thing.  In my mind, the successes of the students in competition has been outstanding for this stage as well.  Yes, there are definitely stuggles but that has to be expected.  The way our students are performing in the classsroom is probably the most important thing and they are again doing an outstanding job.  So, overall, I am thrilled with the how things have gone in transition to this point.

The future challenges:

1. Get every sport to their maximum scholarship level and get them endowed.
        2. Upgrading facilities.
        3. Add staff to get the sports to their maximum coaching levels.

All three of those things have to do with one thing, $$$$$$$$$$.  They have done a good job of fundraising to this point but the work continues and probably even accelerates from here on out.  Continuing to see success in the future in competition will play a big factor.  Mid-Con championships and competing for NCAA titles will continue to raise the visibility of SDSU athletics and raise the opportunities for support.

When you look back to when the announcement was made to move to D-1 and follow it through to now, one has to be pleased with what has happened.  There could be so many more issues facing us that would really set us back.  Imagine if we were faced with a few more years as an independent.  Things are definitely looking up!

Good leadership has been the key to laying down a path to follow and we have been very fortunate in that regard!

SUPERBUNNY
        I agree with what you just wrote. It is a real credit to Dr. Oien and the administration for the preparation that they did prior to the move. They are now reaping the rewards of the vision they had. Had they not done their homework before the move, no telling where we might be now. Personally, I did not think we would have been where we are at this time three years ago.

Comment

Gatewayrabbit:
          I suspect you are out of the Brookings area, but this coming Monday there is an open forum at the Union Bldg which I started a new thread on. This meeting would answer your intial question about the state of state in terms of the athletic department. The Certification process is the final step to becoming a full fledge member of NCAA D1. Its a process that most of us know very little about but since we have passed the mustard test for the Mid Con and now the Gateway, we should not have any big problems. I think this is a process the Admin takes serious. I wont be able to make it, but I am sure there are others on the board that will and maybe next week there will be reports on what happen at the meeting.

Comment

One of the most significant months in SDSU history?

March 2007; one sweet month
            - First wrestler to D-I nationals
            - Gateway Football Conference invitation
            - WNIT berth and host at least one game

Comment

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...703130339/1002

SDSU closing on key hurdle

By Terry Vandrovec
              tvandrovec@argusleader.com
              Published: March 13, 2007

BROOKINGS - The dozen people in attendance - and the line of questioning - How does this pertain to facilities and competition? - at an open forum Monday illustrated a point about South Dakota State University's progress in the NCAA Division I Certification Program.

Those not directly involved in the 20-month process don't know a lot about the school's pursuit of certification, what athletic director Fred Oien called one of the four major hurdles in the Division I transition, on par with finding conference affiliation.

SDSU found a conference and fully expects to get certification as well. . . . (read more)

Go State!

Comment

Working...
              X