Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Frost Arena Capacity?

Originally posted by tdhummel
    Did anyone see if the first couple of rows in the wood bleachers were filled behind the student section.  I know all season they weren't becasue the people couldn't see over the standing students.
    Yes the bealchers behind the students section were packed. It was awefull trying to see the game beacsue the students stand on the top of the seats making it very hard to see more then half the court. A few years back in the ncc days UPD always use to come buy and yell at us for standing on the seats but I didnt see the Useless police departement say anything to the students or the students who were standin on the track and leaning over the rail to watch. That is why the student section that was put in was such a waste. Why would you eliminate spots for students to sit. Big games always have great student turnout. so why let few students into the section. Also it was raised up so when students stand now, its even worse. They moved the media table in front of the section so they are even further way from the court as they use to be. Frankly we should be putting in more seats as the campus grows. not taking them out. We were close to getting 8000 for USD games the last few years of ncc play, and getting into a new confrence now. Its only a matter of time before we get the numbers up again for those big games. Hope im not the only one who things that losing seats in Frost and especially the student section is a bad idea. Rant Over.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22
      I don't know what it would cost to fix the stairs but I don't believe it would be out of line and the increased seating would probally of paid for its self with the WNIT.. its over with though and all you can do now is talk to your senater/representative... I do agree though that if im showing a recruit to our really nice arena that a set off stairs not up to code would kind of tick me off as a coach. Its like showing an 8 bedroom nice house but 3 of them aren't available because of bad stairs..(not a great example) I think that all the bleachers should be updated to that plastic colored ones.. (they look better) even though you loose some seating..
      Im going to have to disagree on this. The palstic seats in the Student section are not comfy at all, but neither are the wood ones for that matter. but loosing seats because they look better is a aweful idea. What i would recomend is nocking that south wall out behind the students and expanding the bleachers to go much higher then they are now increasing capacity. Make a huge side of seats at a good angel so you can see the full court over the students when they stand. Also Move the media table to somewhere else and put in more room and lower the student section so they are closer to the court with a higer capacity in the section. But i do think that getting those outside stair fixed should not be that hard of a project to get done soon. It looks bad, its a fire safety problem and well, Being a Div-1 team now, we are going to have to focus more on basketball, football we can fit 16000 people in for agame. We cant even get close to that for basketball now. I think thats a major problem to me. Being D-1 will honestly help basketball in the future more then football and the facilities need to match that that basketball should be slightly higher prioriety. As much as i love being in the pride and being at football games. I think I liked how Frost was when were were in the NCC. WE could fit more people inside. The students were close to the action and had more room. And who cares what the seats look like when its packed in there anyways. Sounds like waste making plastic blue or yellow bleachers just to look nice when no one is sitting in them. WE could use more chairback seating for sure, but find away that doesnt take out more seats or take out of the student section. Sorry for the long post but I had to say it. Again, Rant Over.
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

Originally posted by goon
        [quote author=joeboo22 link=1173939865/45#50 date=1174350883]I don't know what it would cost to fix the stairs but I don't believe it would be out of line and the increased seating would probally of paid for its self with the WNIT.. its over with though and all you can do now is talk to your senater/representative... I do agree though that if im showing a recruit to our really nice arena that a set off stairs not up to code would kind of tick me off as a coach. Its like showing an 8 bedroom nice house but 3 of them aren't available because of bad stairs..(not a great example) I think that all the bleachers should be updated to that plastic colored ones.. (they look better) even though you loose some seating..
        Im going to have to disagree on this.  The palstic seats in the Student section are not comfy at all, but neither are the wood ones for that matter.  but loosing seats because they look better is a aweful idea.  What i would recomend is nocking that south wall out behind the students and expanding the bleachers to go much higher then they are now increasing capacity.  Make a huge side of seats at a good angel so you can see the full court over the students when they stand.  Also Move the media table to somewhere else and put in more room and lower the student section so they are closer to the court with a higer capacity in the section.  But i do think that getting those outside stair fixed should not be that hard of a project to get done soon.  It looks bad, its a fire safety problem and well, Being a Div-1 team now, we are going to have to focus more on basketball, football we can fit 16000 people in for agame.  We cant even get close to that for basketball now.  I think thats a major problem to me.  Being D-1 will honestly help basketball in the future more then football and the facilities need to match that that basketball should be slightly higher prioriety.  As much as i love being in the pride and being at football games.  I think I liked how Frost was when were were in the NCC.  WE could fit more people inside.  The students were close to the action and had more room.  And who cares what the seats look like when its packed in there anyways.  Sounds like waste making plastic blue or yellow bleachers just to look nice when no one is sitting in them.  WE could use more chairback seating for sure, but find away that doesnt take out more seats or take out of the student section.  Sorry for the long post but I had to say it.  Again, Rant Over.[/quote]

We have exceeded 9,000 fans what, fewer than 10 times in Frost's history? The Athletic Department is trying to make every seat in Frost precious (and thus valuable) to maximize revenue from the games. I see nothing wrong with that. Until we average more than 6,000 fans throughout the season, we don't have a problem. We're nowhere near that now. Meanwhile, the scarcity of seating will make more people pony up for season tickets, which means more revenue, which means more scholarships for all sports. That's a good thing.
        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack
          [quote author=goon link=1173939865/60#61 date=1174454217][quote author=joeboo22 link=1173939865/45#50 date=1174350883]I don't know what it would cost to fix the stairs but I don't believe it would be out of line and the increased seating would probally of paid for its self with the WNIT.. its over with though and all you can do now is talk to your senater/representative... I do agree though that if im showing a recruit to our really nice arena that a set off stairs not up to code would kind of tick me off as a coach. Its like showing an 8 bedroom nice house but 3 of them aren't available because of bad stairs..(not a great example) I think that all the bleachers should be updated to that plastic colored ones.. (they look better) even though you loose some seating..
          Im going to have to disagree on this.  The palstic seats in the Student section are not comfy at all, but neither are the wood ones for that matter.  but loosing seats because they look better is a aweful idea.  What i would recomend is nocking that south wall out behind the students and expanding the bleachers to go much higher then they are now increasing capacity.  Make a huge side of seats at a good angel so you can see the full court over the students when they stand.  Also Move the media table to somewhere else and put in more room and lower the student section so they are closer to the court with a higer capacity in the section.  But i do think that getting those outside stair fixed should not be that hard of a project to get done soon.  It looks bad, its a fire safety problem and well, Being a Div-1 team now, we are going to have to focus more on basketball, football we can fit 16000 people in for agame.  We cant even get close to that for basketball now.  I think thats a major problem to me.  Being D-1 will honestly help basketball in the future more then football and the facilities need to match that that basketball should be slightly higher prioriety.  As much as i love being in the pride and being at football games.  I think I liked how Frost was when were were in the NCC.  WE could fit more people inside.  The students were close to the action and had more room.  And who cares what the seats look like when its packed in there anyways.  Sounds like waste making plastic blue or yellow bleachers just to look nice when no one is sitting in them.  WE could use more chairback seating for sure, but find away that doesnt take out more seats or take out of the student section.  Sorry for the long post but I had to say it.  Again, Rant Over.[/quote]

We have exceeded 9,000 fans what, fewer than 10 times in Frost's history? The Athletic Department is trying to make every seat in Frost precious (and thus valuable) to maximize revenue from the games. I see nothing wrong with that. Until we average more than 6,000 fans throughout the season, we don't have a problem. We're nowhere near that now. Meanwhile, the scarcity of seating will make more people pony up for season tickets, which means more revenue, which means more scholarships for all sports. That's a good thing.
          [/quote]

Amen to that JimmyJack...considering our average attendance this year for the women's team was just over 2000 people, we are just fine having a basketball gym that only seats 6500 people. Gonzaga just completed a new $25 million stadium in 2004....guess what it's capacity is....6000! Gonzaga has been one of the hottest up and coming men's programs in recent years so I'll go along with their precedent! I say "thumbs up" SDSU administration...you are doing just the right thing by putting a premium on seats in Frost. Check for yourself if you'd like:

http://gozags.cstv.com/facilities/gonz-mccarthey.html

Comment

Some things to consider on this seating thing.  Most have been already been said, but want to offer some additional points.

1) mitchellguy was right on. The butts are bigger.
            When we got 9,400+ for Augie in 89 and Hayward before that, those people were a heck of a lot thinner (and used up less room) than today's fan with strollers, big gulps and multi-page programs.  By some standards, we'd have lost about 600 seats on capacity if we kept the all-bleacher configuration because of our a$$. Literally.

2) When you know you are going to get fewer people in the bleachers, reducing the max attednance anyway, why not put a premium on all the seats?
            The Athletics Department talked about ALL SEATS be chair back even in the early-1990's, maybe even earlier, but couldn't afford the up-front cost.  You make a better premium on the seats, concessions, ice cream - EVERYTHING - if you created a "select" atmosphere when only 5 or 6 thousand people could attend an event.

3) A sell-out is big news, regardless of it's 1,000 or 9,000.

The more times you can declare to the TV "sell-out!", the more of a premium you have on your product in the future.  What's easier to fill - a 6,000 seat arena or 9,000 - in Brookings?  In some cases, it's alright to reduce your supply for long-term growth in other areas (donations, ticket price, ancillaries, media, etc.).

4) This is a classic OPEC principle - reduce your market to maximize profits.

Oil production is nowhere near capacity - it isn't becoming rare anytime soon - yet price is through the roof.  Why?  OPEC is reducing the supply, making it a premium price.  OPEC nations don't have to pay as much in worker time drilling for more oil, committing more money to R & D, etc.  Those variable costs are reduced when supply is reduced.  But the price goes up, increasing profits.  

This is why the athletic department isn't running right now to the regents to build a new arena.  They love the fact that they sold out in 4 hours.  That'll drive people to the internet and phone for pre-sales and season tickets.  People hate waiting in line.  What the department needs to drive home is the fact that, as a season ticket-holder in 2007-08, YOU have first rights to your regular season seats in any tournament games, without having to stand in line.  Just call us up or come on by the ticket window earlier in the week when the rest of the tickets aren't even up for sale yet.

There's lots of other things to consider (increased media $ when sell-outs occur, the donor prospects of a person sitting in a specific seat, etc.) that come into play, but it's just a quick rundown of the great events of the day!

Comment

Originally posted by Jackrabbit
              Some things to consider on this seating thing.  Most have been already been said, but want to offer some additional points.
              Amen Jackrabbit! Couldn't have said it better myself (although I did say much the same thing on an earlier post -- the supply and demand point is exactly what is being considered here.

Ask 1000 people what should be done to Frost Arena under the circumstances and you would get 1000 different answers. I'll put my faith in the folks in charge, who have performed unbelieveably well in shepherding us through the transition -- when half of Brookings and a lot of our alumni and fans said it couldn't be done! Rock on Frost Arena!

Comment

Originally posted by jacks#1fan
                [quote author=Jackrabbit link=1173939865/60#64 date=1174492882]Some things to consider on this seating thing.  Most have been already been said, but want to offer some additional points.
                Amen Jackrabbit! Couldn't have said it better myself (although I did say much the same thing on an earlier post -- the supply and demand point is exactly what is being considered here.

Ask 1000 people what should be done to Frost Arena under the circumstances and you would get 1000 different answers. I'll put my faith in the folks in charge, who have performed unbelieveably well in shepherding us through the transition -- when half of Brookings and a lot of our alumni and fans said it couldn't be done! Rock on Frost Arena!
                [/quote]
                So that justifies taking seats out of the student section as well to create a bigger demand for sitting there? If thats your reasoning its retarded. Students should have the most consideration for best and most availiable seating. Its a college game with college students. Alumni should understand that they come second to student support. Or atleast should, even if they have the deep pockets. Making a premium on frost seats is kind of lame when we at our highest averaged at our highest 4000+ during the NCC days. Why not making it a 4000 seat arena and charge even more for season tickets if the premium value increases with few seats. I don't see where having an 8000-10000 seat arena would be a bad thing. Sure maybe we couldnt sell out as many games but the ability to bring in more people would increase revenue as well. What makes more money, 6000 seats at 12 bucks a ticket or 8000? You say supply and demand. Well if there was a posiblity of thousand or so fans that were turned away because there wasnt enough supply of tickets, why not have a place large enough with in reason to accomodate those fans as well. So in the future, say we start averaging 5000 people agame, in a 6000 seat arena? so for the big games tournament play and all why keep it limited where there are more then 6000 fans who might attend several games a year. What about concerts and graduation? You want to make a Premium on those seats as well? Frost is used more then just for basketball and why would you not want a venue that would allow for maxium ocupancy.

Comment

[quote author=jacks#1fan link=1173939865/60#65 date=1174493460][quote author=Jackrabbit link=1173939865/60#64 date=1174492882]Some things to consider on this seating thing.  Most have been already been said, but want to offer some additional points.

[/quote]
                  So that justifies taking seats out of the student section as well to create a bigger demand for sitting there?  If thats your reasoning its retarded.  Students should have the most consideration for best and most availiable seating.  Its a college game with college students.  Alumni should understand that they come second to student support.  Or atleast should, even if they have the deep pockets.  Making a premium on frost seats is kind of lame when we at our highest averaged at our highest 4000+ during the NCC days.  Why not making it a 4000 seat arena and charge even more for season tickets if the premium value increases with few seats.  I don't see where having an 8000-10000 seat arena would be a bad thing.  Sure maybe we couldnt sell out as many games but the ability to bring in more people would increase revenue as well.  What makes more money, 6000 seats at 12 bucks a ticket or 8000?  You say supply and demand.  Well if there was a posiblity of thousand or so fans that were turned away because there wasnt enough supply of tickets, why not have a place large enough with in reason to accomodate those fans as well.  So in the future, say we start averaging 5000 people agame,  in a 6000 seat arena?  so for the big games tournament play and all why keep it limited where there are more then 6000 fans who might attend several games a year.  What about concerts and graduation?  You want to make a Premium on those seats as well?  Frost is used more then just for basketball and why would you not want a venue that would allow for maxium ocupancy.[/quote]

Yeah your right let's just add more bleacher seats? Your logic that Alumni should take a back seat to students is flawed at best. Most of those alumni are loyal fans who show up with their support at the games and with their pocketbook. I would love to see Frost with capacity in the 7000-8000 range as I think we can fill it. I do not want to see this expansion by adding or renovating bleachers. The reserved chairback seat route is the way to go. I have no doubt the over demand on the supply in the post-season will lead to more season tickets next year and that will lead to more people in the seats all year and not just the post-season which should be the goal!    

Comment

Get out your checkbook and start donating.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII
                      [quote author=goon link=1173939865/60#66 date=1174495515][quote author=jacks#1fan link=1173939865/60#65 date=1174493460][quote author=Jackrabbit link=1173939865/60#64 date=1174492882]Some things to consider on this seating thing.  Most have been already been said, but want to offer some additional points.

[/quote]
                      So that justifies taking seats out of the student section as well to create a bigger demand for sitting there?  If thats your reasoning its retarded.  Students should have the most consideration for best and most availiable seating.  Its a college game with college students.  Alumni should understand that they come second to student support.  Or atleast should, even if they have the deep pockets.  Making a premium on frost seats is kind of lame when we at our highest averaged at our highest 4000+ during the NCC days.  Why not making it a 4000 seat arena and charge even more for season tickets if the premium value increases with few seats.  I don't see where having an 8000-10000 seat arena would be a bad thing.  Sure maybe we couldnt sell out as many games but the ability to bring in more people would increase revenue as well.  What makes more money, 6000 seats at 12 bucks a ticket or 8000?  You say supply and demand.  Well if there was a posiblity of thousand or so fans that were turned away because there wasnt enough supply of tickets, why not have a place large enough with in reason to accomodate those fans as well.  So in the future, say we start averaging 5000 people agame,  in a 6000 seat arena?  so for the big games tournament play and all why keep it limited where there are more then 6000 fans who might attend several games a year.  What about concerts and graduation?  You want to make a Premium on those seats as well?  Frost is used more then just for basketball and why would you not want a venue that would allow for maxium ocupancy.[/quote]

Yeah your right let's just add more bleacher seats? Your logic that Alumni should take a back seat to students is flawed at best. Most of those alumni are loyal fans who show up with their support at the games and with their pocketbook. I would love to see Frost with capacity in the 7000-8000 range as I think we can fill it. I do not want to see this expansion by adding or renovating bleachers. The reserved chairback seat route is the way to go. I have no doubt the over demand on the supply in the post-season will lead to more season tickets next year and that will lead to more people in the seats all year and not just the post-season which should be the goal!     [/quote]

2007SP 01/16/07 SGAF S-General Activity Fee SDSU 401.40

That is the current figures that each student has to pay to support the athletic program. per semester

Comment

[quote author=jacks#1fan link=1173939865/60#65 date=1174493460][quote author=Jackrabbit link=1173939865/60#64 date=1174492882]Some things to consider on this seating thing. Most have been already been said, but want to offer some additional points.

[/quote]
                        So that justifies taking seats out of the student section as well to create a bigger demand for sitting there? If thats your reasoning its retarded. Students should have the most consideration for best and most availiable seating. Its a college game with college students. Alumni should understand that they come second to student support. Or atleast should, even if they have the deep pockets. Making a premium on frost seats is kind of lame when we at our highest averaged at our highest 4000+ during the NCC days. Why not making it a 4000 seat arena and charge even more for season tickets if the premium value increases with few seats. I don't see where having an 8000-10000 seat arena would be a bad thing. Sure maybe we couldnt sell out as many games but the ability to bring in more people would increase revenue as well. What makes more money, 6000 seats at 12 bucks a ticket or 8000? You say supply and demand. Well if there was a posiblity of thousand or so fans that were turned away because there wasnt enough supply of tickets, why not have a place large enough with in reason to accomodate those fans as well. So in the future, say we start averaging 5000 people agame, in a 6000 seat arena? so for the big games tournament play and all why keep it limited where there are more then 6000 fans who might attend several games a year. What about concerts and graduation? You want to make a Premium on those seats as well? Frost is used more then just for basketball and why would you not want a venue that would allow for maxium ocupancy.[/quote]

Your logic is flawed. Building more seats doesn't increase revenue if you only fill those seats once every couple of years. You're talking POSSIBLE fans and everyone else here is talking ACTUAL fans spending ACTUAL dollars in a long-term relationship. What builds a reliable stream of revenue is season ticket sales and season ticket holders who value those seats enough to purchase them year after year (paying whatever donation premium the athletic department decides goes along with that privilege.) We all want that student section full. And if we have to add student seating upstairs on the ends, so be it. Those are still good seats.

It's worthwhile to note that at larger universities students pay a premium on top of their student fees to get into that lower-level, branded student section. We're not there yet, and our students gain admission through their student activity fees, but we will get to a point eventually where membership in the Frost Bite or whatever will be an additional charge. It might be decades from now... perhaps in a new arena.

Finally, I would caution you against pitting alumni versus students. We're all part of the same Jackrabbit Nation. You'll be an alum soon enough and you might then understand why making older fans fight for a spot on the hard bleachers isn't a good long-term revenue strategy for the Athletic Department.
                        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

So elimnating seats to create a supply and demand. What are those ticketing going to have to cost a game to be effective in creating a "premium" on every seat? why not make a 3000 seat arena and charge $100 bucks a ticket there would be a great demand. Alumni are important but they are not more important then the students. Look at duke. Im sure most of you hate duke, but they put students as close to the game as they can and Cameron indoor holds 9000+. Im not saying we are duke obviously, but students get top proirity in seating, closest to the court enough room. Remember SDSU and lot of the people who go here are blue collar workers. many students have to work to pay the bills and make ends meet. When I graduate this spring i would love to get season tickets but it just isnt something i can afford right now, so i cant afford the primeum seats they are wanting to create.

Comment

So elimnating seats to create a supply and demand.  What are those ticketing going to have to cost a game to be effective in creating a "premium" on every seat?  why not make a 3000 seat arena and charge $100 bucks a ticket there would be a great demand.  Alumni are important but they are not more important then the students.  Look at duke.  Im sure most of you hate duke, but they put students as close to the game as they can and Cameron indoor holds 9000+.  Im not saying we are duke obviously, but students get top proirity in seating, closest to the court enough room.  Remember SDSU and lot of the people who go here are blue collar workers. many students have to work to pay the bills and make ends meet.  When I graduate this spring i would love to get season tickets but it just isnt something i can afford right now, so i cant afford the primeum seats they are wanting to create.  
                            At many successful colleges, student tickets are at a premium as well. They don't just open the doors to every student at Kansas, Duke, or Kentucky. I believe these students all pay significant amounts of money.
                            LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

What about a student who takes more then 4 years to graduate, say someone takes 6 years to graduate. switching majors taking extra minors and classes or what have you. That would cost them over 4800 bucks for six years to be able to attend all sporting events. Lets say they attend 4 football games every year, and 15 basketball games a year. for a total of 114 total sporting events they go to while in college for 6 years. that averages out to 40$ a game, so it seems students are already paying a good amout to have premium seating. What about students who cant attend every game seems they make plenty of money from the students for sure. here is an idea. Take away all but 4 court side seats and let the big spenders really dish out the money for those prime seats. There is a good supply and demand for ya. With only 4 seats if they want um they arreally have to pay big money. By making tickets harder to get for fans, is not smart to me, If the teams are good and are winning, people will come into watch the games no matter what. but by trying to get people to come and get season tickets becuase there is a limited supply seems odd to me.

Comment

Thursday pre-game match up: Alumni vs. Students

[s]Alumni[/s] (Reserved Seat Season Ticket owners) want more comfortable seats, because they are the most loyal ones and show up with their pocket books.

Students are irked because their seating options are dwindling in the near future.
                                -Not that their meager contributions mean anything any way.

Action starts a hour before tip-off.

Comment

Working...
                                X