Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Frost Arena Capacity?

Originally posted by HoboD
    It doesnt seem to me that they need more reserved seating at this point.  Only if the current allottment are sold out for the regular season.  Once they get to that point, then more seat back reserved seats might make sense.  Having more reserved seats just for playoff games doesnt make sense since for those games you can basically set your price and sell as many as you can.  Twelve dollars for this weeks game in gen. admission is dirt cheap.  You could have sold them for $15 this weekend and had the same crowd.  

As an aside, FIX THE DAMN STEPS coming out of the southeast corner of Frost.  What an embarrassment!  That just didnt happen overnite. For crying out loud.  A couple ratty old pieces of plywood blocking them.  Im sure thats real impressive to someone looking the campus over.  There is no excuse for that.  And now they pay the price because they cant fill all the bleachers up.  
    It's hard to esstablish a budget if you don't know what kind of revenue you are expected to generate. Sold Season Tickets help define that budget and the more reserved seats with great site lines we have available like the upper south side offer the more we will sell. If anything is embarrassing it's great seats like the upper south side are available at a general admission price. These should be premium seats and be comfortable with chairbacks. If we want to have a first class facility we need to lose the high school bleachers and that will happen when we can afford it.

Comment

Sorry Jacksfan, your out of order.  The steps are the problem of the campus facility managment staff not the athletic department.  SDSUs failure inregard to M and R is well known throughout the state.  Steps leading into a building that are falling apart is a risk managment and a life safety issue.  There is no excuse for it period.  Im not alone in my feelings.  I have talked to important alumni who were there this weekend and they were equally embarrassed.  Its pretty basic.  Keep your buildings and grounds maintained before you start adding other stuff.  Its the way most sane people deal with their homes and the way sucessful businesses deal with their property.  Quit making excuses for it.
      Jacks#1Fan is far from out of line. His reasoning is right on track. There are many needs for the department and the steps is obviously one of them. But to put it above other priorities is not likely. If someone, say the fire marshall, thought people's lives were in danger because of the steps then they would have gotten fixed long ago. I'd be willing to bet big money there are other reasons the last set of bleachers on the west end weren't pulled out. In my opinion and from what I know, the steps are far from the main reason.

Comment

My point is I dont think it should be coming out of the athletic departments budget. It should be coming out of campus wide M&R.

Comment

Sorry Jacksfan, your out of order.  The steps are the problem of the campus facility managment staff not the athletic department.  SDSUs failure inregard to M and R is well known throughout the state.  Steps leading into a building that are falling apart is a risk managment and a life safety issue.  There is no excuse for it period.  Im not alone in my feelings.  I have talked to important alumni who were there this weekend and they were equally embarrassed.  Its pretty basic.  Keep your buildings and grounds maintained before you start adding other stuff.  Its the way most sane people deal with their homes and the way sucessful businesses deal with their property.  Quit making excuses for it.
          Sorry, HoboD, but I don't believe I was out of line at all. You are making my point completely: it is not the department's responsbility to fix the steps...and that's what I was talking about. If you want to harp on the President, or the Physical Plant director, or whomever, go ahead and do it. But it is not the department's fault. Secondly, as an earlier post stated, the steps would have been funded with legislation that was pending this year, and at the last moment, it was changed. There will be some maintenance money available, but the project has to take its place on the list. So everybody unhappy with the situation should a) write a letter to the institution; b) lobby the S. D. legislature for more money for maintenance of current buildings (good luck) or c) think of having the steps fixed and your name attached.

Comment

I have learned it is no use to get ruffled up about things that need to be fixed or just plain need to be better. Our administration probably knows better than most of us where our financial priorities should be. They deserve alot of credit because they hear it from all over the place. If it is not one thing, then it is another. I have been just as guilty as anyone when it comes to impatience about how certain things are handled on this campus. Time is money. In this case it's going to take time to raise money cause if most of you are like me, I don't have the money for it to take less time.

Comment

I don't know what it would cost to fix the stairs but I don't believe it would be out of line and the increased seating would probally of paid for its self with the WNIT.. its over with though and all you can do now is talk to your senater/representative... I do agree though that if im showing a recruit to our really nice arena that a set off stairs not up to code would kind of tick me off as a coach. Its like showing an 8 bedroom nice house but 3 of them aren't available because of bad stairs..(not a great example) I think that all the bleachers should be updated to that plastic colored ones.. (they look better) even though you loose some seating..

Comment

Bleachers will be replaced on the ends.

Comment

Did the appropriation pass in the Legislature to start paying for some of the deferred maintenance on the SD college campuses? Seems like a part of that was to go towards fixing the steps at Frost. Anybody know if it passed?
                  "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22
                    I I think that all the bleachers should be updated to that plastic colored ones.. (they look better) even though you loose some seating..
                    They will be replaced with the plastic benches on the ends. The south side bleachers will become chair back seats. As I said before, tickets to premium events will be just that.
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert
                      Did the appropriation pass in the Legislature to start paying for some of the deferred maintenance on the SD college campuses?  Seems like a part of that was to go towards fixing the steps at Frost.  Anybody know if it passed?
                      It passed, but not for deferred maintenance. Was amended and so the money for the steps and other maintenance problems went by-by. That was on a separate post elsewhere. I also can't buy that it is a blackeye when recruits are shown around. Our campus is pretty well maintained and I doubt the coaches run out to the stairwell on the southwest side to aprise recruits that it needs repair. And I doubt recruits would have any idea what work was being done there. Having said that, I certainly agree with all those posters who would like to see it fixed...so would I. It will, in its time.

Comment

Originally posted by jacks#1fan
                        While I'm wound up, I'll go one step further! If anybody out there wants to make a large donation to fix the steps, I can assist you. The department has hundreds of priorities on money, with the biggest one being coming up with the money to expand the scholarship need (football: 27 more scholies at $12,000 per year). You do the math. So dissing the department for not fixing the steps is out of order. Nobody knew at budget time the last two years, that we would host WNIT games and see the first need for additional seating this year since we moved to D-I. Give them a break...please. I am personally familiar with the financial stress the department has to deal with in raising the money and funding all the priorities. Just one more example: to get into the Mid-Continent, we have to fund an additional men's assistant coach and women's assistant coach (in basketball). We don't have a choice if we want to be in the conference, so again...if you've got extra money over and above what you are donating now, I can point you in the right direction.
                        Jacks#1fan:

You have hit on a point that has bothered me to no end on this message board. Its perfectly okay to be critical of the campus, athletic department and even coaches, but often there is a money issue that has prevented the problem from being resolved. Often those raising the criticizm are very reluctant to open their wallet for a donation. Often too, this criticism comes across as someone else' problem. If you give a hoot about SDSU, why not be part of the solution by helping out finanacially? Granted deferred maintenance is suppose to come from state tax coffers, but the amazing thing about SDSU alums and friends is that they seem to come up with the cash when the tight fisted legislature says no.  Maybe thats what is going to take for  fixing the steps.

I sure would throw in a gift if such an effort were announced. Granted FB scholarships are big, but with the 80-20 rule on gifts given to athletics, it would help me out taxwise, if there were some kind of maintence fund available in order to get a 100 per cent deduction. I would assume that would be the case here if a small gift was given to the SDSU Foundation to fix the steps.

Comment

If they eliminated the track and were able to build permanent stands, Frost's layout could look something like this:

Of course they would also have to demolish the two ends of the current reserved seating, but this would be such a nice arena.  If they added and extension on to the south side it could include suites on the top level as well.  I have no idea what something like this would cost, but I imagine this would increase the capacity to 7000 or would atleast maintain 6000 while adding more seatbacks.  

Comment

Jacks#1fan:

You have hit on a point that has bothered me to no end on this message board. Its perfectly okay to be critical of the campus, athletic department and even coaches, but often there is a money issue that has prevented the problem from being resolved. Often those raising the criticizm are very reluctant to open their wallet for a donation. Often too, this criticism comes across as someone else' problem. If you give a hoot about SDSU, why not be part of the solution by helping out finanacially? Granted deferred maintenance is suppose to come from state tax coffers, but the amazing thing about SDSU alums and friends is that they seem to come up with the cash when the tight fisted legislature says no. Maybe thats what is going to take for fixing the steps.

I sure would throw in a gift if such an effort were announced. Granted FB scholarships are big, but with the 80-20 rule on gifts given to athletics, it would help me out taxwise, if there were some kind of maintence fund available in order to get a 100 per cent deduction. I would assume that would be the case here if a small gift was given to the SDSU Foundation to fix the steps.
                            AMEN Haldersham! Having said that, I understand that many posters do contribute, and I understand that others have lesser ability to contribute...but IMHO you need to be a payer to be a player. Again IMHO, before a poster criticizes too harshly, they should research the problem (or ask questions on the board to get answers) and then state their opinions with their suggestions for remedying the problem. Would help my disposition not to get upset so much at the posts (as if anybody cares about my disposition!) Have a great day and see all of you (who were able to get tickets) on Thursday night!!!

Comment

Simple solution - T Denny Sanford Arena. All chair back seats so that we know exactly how many there are, except bleachers for the student section so they can be for free moving and rowdy (number the seats though so we can get a count). Throw in a couple of suites, a nice press box, and viola, a very nice DI arena. Simple enough. Git 'r done.
                              I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

SDSU will adress a new outdoor track facility and the football facility before they ever think about building a new basketball arena I think if you ask most people Frost is fine they just need to keep it up to code and expectations.

Comment

Working...
                                X