Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Frost Arena Capacity?

Originally posted by goon
    Look out, it’s the attack of the Moderators.  So you think it’s possible that we would be able to host several track meets a year with a new track?  I wish I could be as optimistic.  As much as I want all the sports to have it good with facilities, it takes money as we all know that.  Where will that money come from?  Most likely the revenue generating sports I would guess.  Would the money we have right now benefit the school most by updating and improving frost? Or building a new track now that we could maybe host a few track meets a year in.  Updating frost doesn’t just benefit basketball, it benefits the whole campus and community compared to a new track.  Not that I am picking on track, but they are just the example that needs new updates as well.  A new indoor training facility or field house would benefit all athletes no matter the sport.

We didn't even come close to selling Frost out for any regular season games. How is upgrading it going to increase revenue. CAS has never "sold out". I'm glad our administration is showing support for non revenue sports. A track upgrade could allow us to host all sorts of track events. From Hershey Track Meets to DI qualifiers.
    LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit

Put the stick down and slowly back away from the horse.   ;D

Go State!  
      I read this some years ago:

Dakota tribal wisdom says when you discover you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy
      is to dismount.

However, in business, we often try other strategies with dead horses:
      1. Buying a stronger whip.
      2. Changing riders.
      3. Appointing a committee to study the horse.
      4. Visiting other sites to see how they ride dead horses.
      5. Increasing standards to ride dead horses.
      6. Have a training session to improve our riding ability.
      7. Hire a consultant to ride the dead horse.
      8. Declaring that "No horse is too dead to beat."
      9. Providing additional funding to increase the horse's performance.
      10. Declare the horse is "better, faster, and cheaper" dead.
      11. Form a quality circle to find a use for dead horses.
      12. Revisit the performance requirement for horses.
      13. Say the horse was procured with cost as an independent variable.
      14. Promote the dead horse to a supervisory position.

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack
        [quote author=goon link=1173939865/150#164 date=1174969646] Look out, it’s the attack of the Moderators.  So you think it’s possible that we would be able to host several track meets a year with a new track?  I wish I could be as optimistic.  As much as I want all the sports to have it good with facilities, it takes money as we all know that.  Where will that money come from?  Most likely the revenue generating sports I would guess.  Would the money we have right now benefit the school most by updating and improving frost? Or building a new track now that we could maybe host a few track meets a year in.  Updating frost doesn’t just benefit basketball, it benefits the whole campus and community compared to a new track.  Not that I am picking on track, but they are just the example that needs new updates as well.  A new indoor training facility or field house would benefit all athletes no matter the sport.

We didn't even come close to selling Frost out for any regular season games.  How is upgrading it going to increase revenue.  CAS has never "sold out".  I'm glad our administration is showing support for non revenue sports.  A track upgrade could allow us to host all sorts of track events.  From Hershey Track Meets to DI qualifiers.
        [/quote]
        Is that not the whole reason most people want to put chair back seating in frost to allow for more season tickets to increase revenue? I would guess that being in a confrence and getting more and more success for the basketball teams will allow for more potential sell outs or close too it. I would think track upgrades could be done rather cheaply, I just dont see it needing to cost a lot.
        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Just get over it already. This subject has gotten darn right stupid over the last 2 days and needs to die. : Where's CatchEm when you need a thread Killed?

Comment

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f9.../deadhorse.gif

Comment

I don't think P.E.T.A. would aprove of that

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22
                I don't think P.E.T.A. would aprove of that
                People eating tasty animals? ;D
                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman
                  Just get over it already.  This subject has gotten darn right stupid over the last 2 days and needs to die.  : Where's CatchEm when you need a thread Killed?
                  I've given up trying to kill this thread. I'm moving to the new board where this discussion is not taking place.
                  I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll
                    [quote author=thebluehatman link=1173939865/165#168 date=1175052642]Just get over it already. This subject has gotten darn right stupid over the last 2 days and needs to die. : Where's CatchEm when you need a thread Killed?
                    I've given up trying to kill this thread. I'm moving to the new board where this discussion is not taking place.[/quote]

Are you the now the official board killer, CatchEmAll? Filbert may not have to shut this board down.......it may die on its own because of this thread......... :

Comment

• Frost needs more work

So, the record crowd at Frost was 9,456 at a men's game against Augie in 1989. Because of gym improvements and remodeling, seating capacity supposedly has been reduced to "approximately 8,000," according to The Bum. Then we find out during the WNIT that seating capacity is actually something just over 6,000. (The concession stands and bathrooms could barely handle that many.) The top three rows on each of the upper-level sets of bleachers were closed off during the WNIT, apparently because of bad sight lines (metal ad boards must be hanging in the way). If those upper rows were opened up again as obstructed view seating or something, or if the ad boards could be raised a bit, that might bring capacity up to 6,500 or more. Regardless, it's time for some more remodeling Frost. There might be room for some more seating capacity in the upper corners and in the lower-level end zones. 6,000 seats is not enough for a program that we expect to be successful (in men's basketball as well as women's). Shouldn't capacity of at least 7,500 be the goal? 6,000 is not enough for a program heading into the Mid-Con and nearing the end of the transition.
                      This space for lease.

Comment

• Re: Frost needs more work

Let's kill this thread, please.

Jacked_Up...please refer to the 12 pages of discussion at this thread:
                        http://www.sdsufans.com/cgi-bin/yabb...num=1173939865

You will get a very good idea of what people think about the capacity in Frost. You'll see in mind mind...6000 is PLENTY.

Comment

• Re: Frost needs more work

Originally posted by Jacked_Up
                          The top three rows on each of the upper-level sets of bleachers were closed off during the WNIT, apparently because of bad sight lines (metal ad boards must be hanging in the way). If those upper rows were opened up again as obstructed view seating or something,
                          It is my understanding that the reason the bleachers are not pulled out all the way on the upper level bleachers behind the baskets is to allow for better handicap (wheelchair) access at Frost. Currently SDSU uses the corners on the upper level (along the rail) for wheel chaired fans and families and to gain access to each area inside the arena. If SDSU were to pull them out all the way the upper level will not be handicap accessible. I believe once a facility is changed, modified updated (whatever) the facility must meet A.D.A. requirements. (I hope I used the proper vocabulary here, it is not my intent to offend anyone). At least it makes the most sense to me as apposed to some of the other conspiracy theories posted here.

This is one of the flaws of CAS; it was built prior to ADA requirements. I studied if for a class project and at the time (and I believe still) CAS didn't meet A.D.A requirements.

We...ARE...STATE!
                          SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

I think the other thing that needs to be addressed and not sure how is to increase capacity for concessions. For the typical size crowds under 4000 the concessions seem to be ample, but when you get over 6000 the lines are way to long especially in the lower section with one small concession stand. I would suspect some people just got tired of waiting and rushed back to their seats for the second half and thus money was left on the table..

Comment

If you look at the new scoreboard strips that were installed last year they hang from the rafters. This would have to block the view of the main scoreboard. The scoreboards may also block the view of the court which I doubt but can't say for sure since I haven't been up there. Has anyone seen the bleachers on the top pulled all the way out since the new scoreboards were installed?

Comment

This thread is like a train wreck. I see new posts and think to myself, don't look, it's gonna be ugly. Then I'm sucked back in thinking "can't they just let this die already". So then I post hoping my karma will kill the thread and then someone does a little voo doo spell and brings up another point that they and one other person want to discuss, and then someone else says "kill it already", and, well you get the picture. I know this board is for open debates, but for christ sakes already we have 12 pages of round and round about a problem that's not going to get solved a. anytime soon, nor b. by talking about on this thread. If you really care that much, go talk to Fred or Keith or Rob about what you think the issue are, ask how you can help and then DON'T come back here and talk about it because 798 of the 800 users on the board don't give a crap at this point. Frost suits our current needs just fine and when 6,000 + seats isn't enough on a nightly basis we can ramp up discussion of how we can help fund a new arena, because no matter how much some might like to think Frost can be rehabbed to seat over 9,000 fans it just can't. The arena is boarderline ADA compliant as is, can't be majorly refurbished without costly measures to become ADA compliant and for the cost of bringing it up to code we may as well build a new arena.

So, at this point someone please quote the above, call me out for being a "hater" to the cause and let's keep this going for another five months until football kicksoff. That will be fun.

And yes, I'm well aware that I don't have to read or participate in this damn thread, but I have a thing for stupid people, they tend to rub off on me and make me stupid at times as well.
                                I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Working...
                                X