Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SDSU Academic Performance

Originally posted by joeboo22
    I do support the 2.0 mandatory gpa I just think that D-I sports is a strain on college athletes and they don't get the credit that they deserve and I really don't like taking away scholarships from schools that don't meet the standard. SDSU won't have huge problems but the new rules hurt schools if a player fails after he has ended his elgibility.

As far as Christmas Break... no they don't have classes but they do have practices and games...

So maybe I'm missing something....what does having games and practices over Christmas break have to do with grades? Last time I checked...Christmas break came between semesters. A 2.0 average. That's borderline ridiculous...if you can't make a 2.0 you don't deserve to be in college let alone play a sport. I agree with Blue (thanks for the backup). I could go to class absolutely drunk off my ... each day and get a 2.0. Just because the rules may be confusing doesn't mean the athletes have it too easy. I am willing to bet if an athlete can't get a 2.0 GPA.....we probably don't want them on our team.

Haldersham is dead right...if you get D's or F's its because you didn't work at the class. I don't want to hear of these lame excuses of practices and games getting in the way.

It's fairly obvious to me that 99% of the stuff Joeboo writes on here should be ignored. Maybe he should stick to his BLOG.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit
      It's fairly obvious to me that 99% of the stuff Joeboo writes on here should be ignored.  Maybe he should stick to his BLOG.
      Amen to that!  

Comment

* From Moderator JackJD

Joeboo's post is deleted.

Comment

I'm getting sick of this **** from you... If you have a problem with me keep it to yourself, filbert as well as others have said discuss the post not the poster and you never ****ing listen.... As far as NCAA rules the majority of them are a JOKE plain and simple... This scholarship deduction test or whatever you want to call it is even a bigger joke. As far as 2.0 as a kid that didn't do too much higher in high school and who had friends that also didn't get too much higher I still do support a mandatory 2.0 for college athletics but I will NEVER support the taking away of scholarships because of academic reasons unless its been shown that the school is running a con job like Minnesota or Ohio State.

Comment

EVERYBODY SIT DOWN AND TAKE TEN DEEP BREATHS!!!!   AHHHHHHH, SERENITY NOW!!!!

There is no doubt that some of these rules and measurements could be examined and they will no doubt be modified in time.  To call the NCAA rules a JOKE is going way overboard.  

I didn't get good grades when I went to school but they were above the 2.0 "Mendoza Line".  The athletes do have a lot on their plates when it comes to balancing all of the demands but it is their choice to do so.  Many of them are having their education paid for by scholarships which compensates them for their challenge.  The vast majority are excelling in the classroom.  All of them have an opportunity to compete at a high level in the sport that they love!  They don't have to do it.  They choose to and when they make that choice they do so knowing there are rules that go along with that.

In most cases, if you ask student-athletes or any student for that matter if they wouldn't love to go back to the college life again, they would say yes.  The demands of every day life for most people makes college a walk in the park.  And for those of us underperforming college students, I would like to see a show of hands from those that could have found another half hour a day to spend studying!  That's what I thought!  We made our choice and we go on.

The SDSU student-athletes due a fantastic job in the classroom and once we are full established in D-1, there is no doubt that our students will move up on this report as well as continuing to finish near the top in GPA's.  The quality of the administration and the coaching staff won't allow it to be any other way.  They are here to get an education first and foremost!

After writing this thesis, I am taking a study break and heading Ray's for an energy drink with a kick!

P.S.  Joeboo, may I suggest some anger management writing classes?  Seriously, simmer down!

SUPERBUNNY
            MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

This issue is not being well debated at all. I've noted that about a lot of topics on this board since a certain member began to post on a regular basis. In fact, I find myself less and less interested in many of the topics on the board. Putting in the time to read some of this nonsense isn't practical. Reading the writing of someone who is foolish results in the same for the reader.

I hope the programs at SDSU that have been notified of their shortcomings, correct the problem and satisfy the requirements of the NCAA. It really comes down to that.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY
                EVERYBODY SIT DOWN AND TAKE TEN DEEP BREATHS!!!! AHHHHHHH, SERENITY NOW!!!!

There is no doubt that some of these rules and measurements could be examined and they will no doubt be modified in time. To call the NCAA rules a JOKE is going way overboard.

I didn't get good grades when I went to school but they were above the 2.0 "Mendoza Line". The athletes do have a lot on their plates when it comes to balancing all of the demands but it is their choice to do so. Many of them are having their education paid for by scholarships which compensates them for their challenge. The vast majority are excelling in the classroom. All of them have an opportunity to compete at a high level in the sport that they love! They don't have to do it. They choose to and when they make that choice they do so knowing there are rules that go along with that.

In most cases, if you ask student-athletes or any student for that matter if they wouldn't love to go back to the college life again, they would say yes. The demands of every day life for most people makes college a walk in the park. And for those of us underperforming college students, I would like to see a show of hands from those that could have found another half hour a day to spend studying! That's what I thought! We made our choice and we go on.

The SDSU student-athletes due a fantastic job in the classroom and once we are full established in D-1, there is no doubt that our students will move up on this report as well as continuing to finish near the top in GPA's. The quality of the administration and the coaching staff won't allow it to be any other way. They are here to get an education first and foremost!

After writing this thesis, I am taking a study break and heading Ray's for an energy drink with a kick!

P.S. Joeboo, may I suggest some anger management writing classes? Seriously, simmer down!

SUPERBUNNY
                For clarification. This started as a topic about academic performance, not about other rules by the NCAA. For one, who are we to judge their rules with so little understanding about how and why they are enforced. Secondly, every institution has to follow them and if they aren't good rules then the institutions will will push to get rid of them. I'm not an expert in all the rules and honestly I don't really care too much about them.

Back to grades. Let's think about this 2.0 GPA for a second. If you taking 4, 3 credit class (12 credits), you can get An F, a C, and two B's and still have 2.0. or 2 D's and 2 B's (the NCAA might have rules against even getting a D or F..I don't know). If you really stop and think about it a 2.0 is not that high and I will bet if you ask people who were around 2.0 if they worked hard in class of if they enjoyed "the college life", I will bet they enjoyed "the college life". I honestly think we could examine the fact that the minimum GPA is 2.0 and have a discussion about that.

Comment

Posted by: MontanaRabbit Posted on: Today at 10:08am
                  For clarification.  This started as a topic about academic performance, not about other rules by the NCAA.  For one, who are we to judge their rules with so little understanding about how and why they are enforced.  Secondly, every institution has to follow them and if they aren't good rules then the institutions will will push to get rid of them.  I'm not an expert in all the rules and honestly I don't really care too much about them.

Back to grades.  Let's think about this 2.0 GPA for a second.  If you taking 4, 3 credit class (12 credits), you can get An F, a C, and two B's and still have 2.0.  or 2 D's and 2 B's (the NCAA might have rules against even getting a D or F..I don't know).  If you really stop and think about it a 2.0 is not that high and I will bet if you ask people who were around 2.0 if they worked hard in class of if they enjoyed "the college life", I will bet they enjoyed "the college life".  I honestly think we could examine the fact that the minimum GPA is 2.0 and have a discussion about that.
                  Montana,

I agree with what you are saying and probably didn't put a quality post up above.  I have been frustrated like Jackmd about the quality of the posting as of late and hopefully haven't been a major contributor to that.

The 2.0 mark is not a huge challenge.  That is not to say that there aren't students out there that study their butts of to get their but for the most part people that are in that area enjoyed the "college life"

The report that came out on academic performance was just a number.  It clearly showed how much of an affect that people leaving the program has on that report.  My understanding is that it is one of the many reports that the NCAA uses to analyze the performance of a university.  Take women's basketball, we are #1 in team GPA but the number for this report is low because of a few players leaving the program.  The team is still performing academically at the highest level.  If a team had a low GPA and a low grade in this report then a red flag would probably go up.

I don't know when and where the penalties kick in.  By reading the article, it sounds as if they won't take a hard look at SDSU's performance in this report until after there are four years of history.  My hunch is that as we end the transition period and move into the stability of a conference environment that there will be steady improvement in where SDSU ranks.

In the future, my pledge is to stay more on the topic!

GO JACKS,

SUPERBUNNY
                  MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Joeboo:

Please keep your posts civil.  You've been allowed to state what many consider to be unpopular opinions and for now I, as just one of three moderators, won't object to you stating your opinions.  Including profanity in your posts, however, is not acceptable and I think you are intentionally attempting to upset other posters.  That's not an honest debate about divergent opinions.  

JackJD, Moderator

Comment

Moderator:

Thank you. I have taken time to read Joe's blog and even marked his blog as a favorite in order to keep up to date. I appreciate the young man who says he is only 19 and has a passion for athletics especially of what is going on at SDSU.  His comments about West River SD are also interesting since, I seldom look at the Rapid City Journal or any of the west river papers.  From what I gather he is a student at Black Hills State University. Nothing wrong with these things at all.

I think Joe is making the same mistake I have made ever since I discovered the internet and the New York Times message board relating to politics. I have time and time again when posting to a message board ran with my emotions and expected 100 percent agreement. Often the agreement was found to be few and far between. What I found instead was other posters who have presented very cogent and logical counter arguements, that made me angry often defensive. I retaliated with more anger which in turn perpetuated more anger etc. I also think that some times its easy to jump into a topic when maybe we know very little about topic. These are times when maybe its better sit back and read, think and then post. The frequency of posts mean very little if we havent said anything worthy or if we are wrong. When we are wrong, we should expect correction. Taking correction with a thank you, shows maturity.

As far as this topic, its one that everyone should be interested in. Its not one that is too exciting surely not as exciting as the WNIT, but its important and if you really want to learn all the details the offical SDSU website has the full certification report and is interesting reading. At least I found its so. I think I can stop now.

Comment

First of all JackJD I only start posting things after people call me out.. I lost my cool and thats my fault but all I am saying is previously I posted something like that and I got banned.....
                        And just too clear somethings up, the fact that I am a student out here doesn't affect my lack of knowledge about sports at SDSU because I probally know more about whats going on at SDSU then I do here.

As far as my blog I started my blog for 2 reasons one so I could state my opinions on controversal things without seeming to Indite people to throw a fit and 2 so I could post stuff about the entire state. But as I stated earlier I would prefear to keep that to my blog rather then to post it on here because honestly its lil facts and the facts that i get are from newspapers or sources.

Comment

* From a Moderator.

Posters are reminded they should not level a personal attack at another poster. Debating the merits of a post in a relatively civil manner is a valid use of the message board. In looking back over this thread, it appears some personal shots were taken at Joeboo but I didn't comment on that (probably should have). Joeboo...you gotta admit you like to rile people so you tend to invite some shots.

Superbunny's advice about taking 10 deep breaths is good advice.

Let's talk about the Jackrabbits!

Comment

Posted by: MontanaRabbit Posted on: Today at 10:08am
                            Montana,

I don't know when and where the penalties kick in.  By reading the article, it sounds as if they won't take a hard look at SDSU's performance in this report until after there are four years of history.  My hunch is that as we end the transition period and move into the stability of a conference environment that there will be steady improvement in where SDSU ranks.

In the future, my pledge is to stay more on the topic!

GO JACKS,

SUPERBUNNY
                            Granted the conference membership opens new doors in terms of athletes that are available for recruiting, but it's still a one on one choice in terms of each individual that needs  to meet the academic requirements. If we go looking only for the best athlete and pay little or no attention to academics, and academic motivation of the individual, the team score will not change automatically. If anything it is likely to deteriate. Possibly having an additional assistant coach helps in recruiting and determining that we have the best overall fit for SDSU in terms of being a student and athlete. So far some of the choices have not been good evident by the overall score. Its not all about transfer outs, but I will conceed they have been a contributing factor.

Comment

So if an athlete leaves college early to enter the NBA draft does that have the same effect on the academic score as an athlete that transfers. If it does it would be interesting to see what colleges like Ohio St., Texas, and others that have athletes leave early score on this report. I would guess it would be fairly low. The chance of SDSU having an athlete that leaves early for the NBA draft is low as most mid-majors seem to graduate their players. It does raise one question: is it worse to have an athlete come to college for 1-2 years and bolt for the NBA or have an athlete come to college to get an education and transfer because the school was not a good fit for him?

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit
                                So if an athlete leaves college early to enter the NBA draft does that have the same effect on the academic score as an athlete that transfers.  If it does it would be interesting to see what colleges like Ohio St., Texas, and others that have athletes leave early score on this report.  I would guess it would be fairly low.  The chance of SDSU having an athlete that leaves early for the NBA draft is low as most mid-majors seem to graduate their players.  It does raise one question:  is it worse to have an athlete come to college for 1-2 years and bolt for the NBA or have an athlete come to college to get an education and transfer because the school was not a good fit for him?
                                I believe it does have the same affect thats why the Kevin Durrants as well as many others complete there degree while playing in the pros.

Comment

Working...
                                X