SDSU on TV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SDSU on TV

I thought the NCC withdrawl deadline was Dec. 31.....as El_Presidente mentioned earlier, the upcoming BoR meeting determined the timing of the USD announcement this week. The Argus editorial a few days ago and the SDSU TV negotiations seemed to put forth the perception that Abbott had to do something this week.

El_Presidente, you'll need to give us a blow-by-blow update from Rapid City in two weeks when the Regents meet.........

Comment

Any idea if away games would be covered? Or maybe a select few?? Or would it be just home games? Tough question considering it is still up in the air but just wondering if anyone knows?

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUJack3031
        Any idea if away games would be covered? Or maybe a select few?? Or would it be just home games? Tough question considering it is still up in the air but just wondering if anyone knows?

Actually, it would be mostly away games with just a couple home games in each sport televised.

Comment

Originally posted by dr_jack
          [quote author=SDSUJack3031 link=1164774125/45#46 date=1164908301]Any idea if away games would be covered? Or maybe a select few?? Or would it be just home games? Tough question considering it is still up in the air but just wondering if anyone knows?

Actually, it would be mostly away games with just a couple home games in each sport televised.[/quote]

That's how it works for UWMilwaukee in this area, as well. The Badgers and Marquette don't need to worry about dilluting their pool of fans in attendance so tend to broadcast whatever games they want. UWM pretty much sticks to away games (even broadcasted the SDSU game last year at SDSU).
          "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUJack3031
            Little reason to cover home games. Need the fans to attend in person. I suspect all the FB games will be on the road. Might be 1 or 2 each from the BB schedule at home. A little premature to discuss until we hear that it will happen at all.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Most of the televised games will be road games, with the exception of Hobo Days.

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman
                Most of the televised games will be road games, with the exception of Hobo Days.
                /begin crotchety grumpy oldster mode:

Hobo Day is Game Day.
                Hobo Week is the week prior to Hobo Day.

There is no such thing as "Hobo Days."

/end crotchety grumpy oldster mode:

"I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert
                  [quote author=thebluehatman link=1164774125/45#50 date=1165094773]Most of the televised games will be road games, with the exception of Hobo Days.

Hobo Day is Game Day.

[/quote]

Its scary but I thought exactly the same thing. Geesus, I'm an oldster already.
                  We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert
                    [quote author=thebluehatman link=1164774125/45#50 date=1165094773]Most of the televised games will be road games, with the exception of Hobo Days.

Hobo Day is Game Day.

[/quote]
                    Simmer down old timer you might have a heart attack or something.

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman
                      As excited as I am to have a bunch of SDSU games televised in the future, I have mixed feelings about the Hobo Day game being televised. Here's why:

1) Some of the tailgaters may never bother entering the stadium if they can just set up a portable TV (with a good antenna) and watch the game with some brewskis.
                      2) If the weather is iffy, casual fans may just decide to head home, to a friend's house, or one of the bars on town and watch the game on TV.

I have no problem having the game being on a webcast/satellite feed for the fans and alums who can't make it to Brookings; I just want to make sure that CAS is rocking on Hobo Day. If we can always draw 12-14K for Hobo Day, then placing the game on TV is a positive.

Comment

Originally posted by NightHawk78
                        As excited as I am to have a bunch of SDSU games televised in the future, I have mixed feelings about the Hobo Day game being televised. Here's why:

1) Some of the tailgaters may never bother entering the stadium if they can just set up a portable TV (with a good antenna) and watch the game with some brewskis.
                        2) If the weather is iffy, casual fans may just decide to head home, to a friend's house, or one of the bars on town and watch the game on TV.

I have no problem having the game being on a webcast/satellite feed for the fans and alums who can't make it to Brookings; I just want to make sure that CAS is rocking on Hobo Day. If we can always draw 12-14K for Hobo Day, then placing the game on TV is a positive.[/quote]
                        You worry too much man. Hobo Days always welll almost always draws the biggest crowds. Stop being so pessimistic about things.
                        1. Some of the tailgaters never enter the stadium PERIOD.
                        2. You're worrying about stuff that hasn't had an affect on attendence. To be successful you have to take risks, unless you want to be USD. Which I know you have a soft spot for the NCC I've heard some of the stuff you say at games.

Comment

Bluehat, I am cautiously optimistic, not a pessimist. Dr. Oien doesn't want to give the product away; hence, the reason most of the televised games will be away games. If the Hobo Day crowds slip after they're televised, we won't probably won't put them on TV for some time. You're right, we need to take some risks, but SDSU has largely taken caclculated risks since we've gone D-1. (I thought USD's move to D-1 was a risk?)

As for the tailgaters who never enter the stadium, our tailgating policy should probably be looked at. A lot of schools do not allow tailgating during the game, such as NDSU. The football game is the main event, not the tailgating.

All I'm going to say about the NCC is that they have crappy officiating and that Roger Thomas read the last rites for the conference this past week.

Comment

KELO-TV deserves kudos and encouragement. Their daily sports coverage of the state's first D-1 program has not been great. It's been about the same as their coverage of NAIA programs. But KELO administrators obviously recognize a good telecasting and business opportunity. Thanks, KELO. Thanks, SDSU. Get the deal done. It's a win-win-win.
                            This space for lease.

Comment

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...35/1002/SPORTS

SDSU backing off KELO TV deal
                              Jackrabbits exploring options with their new conference

By Terry Vandrovec
                              tvandrovec@argusleader.com
                              Published: May 15, 2007

South Dakota State has backed off in its pursuit of a 25-game local television package with Young Broadcasting and KELO, but visual broadcasts of the school's games may - may - wind up more widespread than ever.

In 2007-08, the Jackrabbits will begin play in the Mid-Continent Conference in most sports, while the football team kicks off its final season in the Great West Football Conference before jumping to the Gateway Football Conference the following fall. All three of those leagues recently signed television contracts with The America Channel, a sports and lifestyle network set to debut this fall.

Also, the Mid-Con will begin live Web streaming in men's and women's basketball this season, according to commissioner Tom Douple.

All of those agreements came to fruition after SDSU had begun looking into a contract with KELO.

"We're still talking on a limited basis, but not the full"; for 2007-08, Jacks athletic director Fred Oien said. The new conference contracts "changed what we were able to do. We weren't sure whether we could meet out full commitment in the contract."

Basically, the school can't have a local television contract that conflicts with conference commitments - even though there's no guarantee that people in this area will have access to The America Channel. *. *. *. *.*(read more)

Go State! *
                              Last edited by 89rabbit; 08-16-2007, 08:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X