Championship Standards at SDSU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Championship Standards at SDSU

It has always been my understanding that SDSU does not/ will not hang banners inside Frost Arena for anything even National Championships.  (Please correct me if I am wrong.)  

Now that SDSU is DI and in conferences for everything should this policy change?  A championship in Division I for us would be quite the accomplishment, so should this policy change?  If so, what should we do - hang banners inside Frost for Conference Championships, Sweet Sixteen, Elite Eight, Final Four, National Runners up and/ or National Championships.  How about for winning the NIT or WNIT?  My thoughts would be hang banners in Frost for Conference Championships, Final Fours and above and NIT/ WNIT Championships for basketball.  We could also hang banners for similar qualifications for Volleyball and Wrestling.  Only these four sports because they are the only ones competing in Frost.  We could also do similar things for the other sports at their home venues.  What do you think?

If not banners what would your like to see done to honor championships?  Rename streets, Hall of Champions, Ring of Honor, Champions Museum, Champions Courtyard etc.

I think it would be a nice touch to put up National Championship Banner or Something for our National Championship Basketball Teams. Maybe hang them on a wall and have a spot light shining on them at all times.  I believe we have some other National Championship teams, so maybe something like that would be appropriate for all.
    We...ARE...STATE!
    SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Re: Championship Standards at SDSU

Somewhat tongue in cheek: where do you propose to hang Cross Country (more national titles and conference titles than any other sport) banners? On a tree at a golf course?

Comment

I think a big factor in not hanging banners is that are often made at the expense of the institution and they do not contribute revenue, like a corporate sponsor banner will contibute. I would recommend using all this space for corporate sponsors. Its about $$$$$$$$.

Its seemed like UNO was the only one who has hung banners recognizing a conference championship. The last few times I was in Sapp Fieldhouse, the banners were getting faded and collecting dust, which I believe is a good media for virus and any other commuicatative micro-organism. We dont need this at SDSU. I dont think the banners at UNO ever intimidated our bb players as we often found a way to win in Omaha. So its a project that can often get neglected if no one wants to take care of the project such as taking them down and running a small vacumn cleaner over them and then putting them back up.

The late Warren Williamson dedicated his retirement years in maintaining the wall of fame outside of Frost, plus there is the Ginn trophy room which tell out past.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD
        Somewhat tongue in cheek:  where do you propose to hang Cross Country (more national titles and conference titles than any other sport) banners?  On a tree at a golf course?  
        No. I don't. Not sure what I would have done for Track and Cross Country.
        We...ARE...STATE!
        SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

Originally posted by Haldersham
          I think a big factor in not hanging banners is that are often made at the expense of the institution and they do not contribute revenue, like a corporate sponsor banner will contibute. I would recommend using all this space for corporate sponsors. Its about $$$$$$$$.

Its seemed like UNO was the only one who has hung banners recognizing a conference championship. The last few times I was in Sapp Fieldhouse, the banners were getting faded and collecting dust, which I believe is a good media for virus and any other commuicatative micro-organism. We dont need this at SDSU. I dont think the banners at UNO ever intimidated our bb players as we often found a way to win in Omaha. So its a project that can often get neglected if no one wants to take care of the project such as taking them down and running a small vacumn cleaner over them and then putting them back up.

The late Warren Williamson dedicated his retirement years in maintaining the wall of fame outside of Frost, plus there is the Ginn trophy room which tell out past.
          I agree we need alot of money.  But I don't think it is all about the money.  History and Tradition are important too, IMO.  SDSU has both.  I think it is great that SDSU has the Wall of Fame and the Ginn Trophy room.  The only problem with the Ginn Trophy Room is that it is hidden from mainstream campus.  My campus tour guide never took me there and I am sure it is not part of the tour (maybe I am wrong). So how many students and thus alumni have never seen it, let alone know it exists.

As far as maintanance, anything we do will include it.  So, should we do nothing and stay status quo?  What suggestions do you have? In the world today everything is marketable and has a price.  No reason we couldn't have a banners, trophy cases, Hall of Fame etc. and have a corporate sponsor included with it.  

Food for thought, I guess.  Just looking to keep the board active during the summer months.
          We...ARE...STATE!
          SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

Status quo, not a bad idea for now. We have no D1 banners to hang except for the appearences in the WNIT and maybe the one Wrestler who qualified as a freshman. Right now money is important, and all the corporate advertisement that we pickup out there is important. Also the Daktronics agreement for putting in the video system would probably require that we have space available for advertisement. I believe we are about two years into the 10 year agreement so that makes hanging banners less likely for the next 8 years even if we do pick up Summit titles here and there.

D2 banners are part of the past, but mean little to those who want to advertise and pay money to do so.

Comment

Working...
            X