Clear All

• SDSU to feature games on Web

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...42/1002/SPORTS

SDSU to feature games on Web
    Select home games will be shown

By Terry Vandrovec
    tvandrovec@argusleader.com
    Published: May 31, 2007

The South Dakota State athletic department is taking its Web site national and its games world wide, ending a seven-year relationship with Sioux Falls host Lawrence and Schiller to sign a three-year contract with major player XOS Technologies.

A redesigned version of GoJacks.com will be launched Friday with bells and whistles being unveiled gradually leading up to Aug. 27 and the debut of the most significant upgrade: Live video streaming of all home contests in football, volleyball and wrestling.

By purchasing a pass, costly around $9.95 per month or $99.95 per year, according to sports information director Jason Hove (those numbers could change), fans will be able to watch and listen to games held in Frost Arena - and perhaps select road games if the host schools also use XOS and are able to work out individual agreements with SDSU.

Non-conference basketball games may also become available through the school's site, while the Summit League will offer video access to all conference basketball games through a separate league-wide pass available on its site, the details of which have yet to be released.

Subscribers to the SDSU site can also watch taped broadcasts of home games in sports like soccer, softball and baseball, plus video features, coaches shows and press conferences in addition to buying game tickets and action photos.

"It's going to provide additional exposure for our program for our student-athletes," Hove said. "I think it's the next logical place to go. We don't want to get any farther behind what other schools in our league or other schools in Division I are doing." . . . (read more)

Go State!

Re: SDSU to feature games on Web

Excuse my ignorance what is XOS please.

Comment

Originally posted by bballfan54
      Excuse my ignorance what is XOS please.
      XOS is just the name of the company that will set up the SDSU Athletics site and provide the video and audio streaming services. Here's their Web site:

http://www.xostech.com/

It's a good company. The other option was CSTV.com, which is XOS' main competition. The reason I'm glad they chose XOS is that it's cross-platform compatible with Macintosh and Linux computers, not Windows-only like CSTV. (Attaching your service to a single computing platform seems like a dumb idea... cutting out nearly 10 percent of your potential audience... it's the Internet for heaven's sakes and is supposed to be platform agnostic.) Mac users, get Flip4Mac (free from Microsoft) and you'll be able to watch the XOS video without a hitch. I tried it on UND's XOS site. Works great.

Daktronics will provide the source feed for basketball and football. XOS takes the source feed and, using their enormous bandwidth, will rebroadcast it to subscribers. Expect the quality to be very good and the feeds to be very reliable. For you tech-savvy people, I understand they broadcast 340 Mbit/second video, which is pretty darned good quality for streamed video. You won't get that in your home, but anything close will look very good.

I'd say $100 to be able to watch all home games and some away games is a darned good deal.
      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Sounds good Jamal has a mac laptop and we could never get the games on his laptop last year, I will be signing up for sure

Comment

Working...
        X