Keith Mahlum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keith Mahlum

I read that SDSU has a job posting for a new Associate Athletic Director for External Affairs.  It was my understanding that this was Keith Mahlum's position.  I do not think Keith is leaving b/c he is head of the seach committee.  Any idea what is going on at SDSU?

Here is a link to the posting:
    http://www.higheredjobs.com/admin/de...Code=175247479
    We...ARE...STATE!
    SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Re: Keith Mahlum

Originally posted by D-town
    I read that SDSU has a job posting for a new Associate Athletic Director for External Affairs.  It was my understanding that this was Keith Mahlum's position.  I do not think Keith is leaving b/c he is head of the seach committee.  Any idea what is going on at SDSU?

Wrong...the new Associate Athletic Director for External Affairs position is Nancy Neiber's position, with a new title, and a different direction. They are looking for a marketing person, somebody from maybe an ad agency or similar, who can help market SDSU athletics to our area...with particular emphasis on Sioux Falls. The department hopes to penetrate the Sioux Falls market in a much greater way and get those sporrts fans (non-alumni basically) to get into Jackrabbit athletics.

Keith Mahlum heads up the fund-raising side of HPER, and offices now in the SDSU Foundation quarters.

Comment

Originally posted by jacks#1fan
      [quote author=D-town link=1182096743/0#0 date=1182096743]I read that SDSU has a job posting for a new Associate Athletic Director for External Affairs.  It was my understanding that this was Keith Mahlum's position.  I do not think Keith is leaving b/c he is head of the seach committee.  Any idea what is going on at SDSU?

Wrong...the new Associate Athletic Director for External Affairs position is Nancy Neiber's position, with a new title, and a different direction. They are looking for a marketing person, somebody from maybe an ad agency or similar, who can help market SDSU athletics to our area...with particular emphasis on Sioux Falls. The department hopes to penetrate the Sioux Falls market in a much greater way and get those sporrts fans (non-alumni basically) to get into Jackrabbit athletics.

Keith Mahlum heads up the fund-raising side of HPER, and offices now in the SDSU Foundation quarters. [/quote]

Not trying to pick a fight, but how am I wrong?  According to GoJacks.com Keith Mahlum's position is the Associate Athletics Director for External Operations.  Nancy Neibers position is/ was the Associate Athletic Director - Student Serivces/Sr. Woman Administrator.

With every school that I have worked with the Associate Athletics Director for External Operations oversees the areas of fundraising, marketing, corporate sponsorships, ticket sales and special events.  The schools will then employ staff to work specificially in marketing/ promotions, fundraising, ticket sales and special events.  This appears to be the case at SDSU.  I am not sure the duties that usually pertain to a Senior Women's Administrator. If what you posted is true and keith is in charge of fundraising for HPER then it would appear he has taken another position and is fundraising for academics and not athletics.

If what you say is true.  Why advertise for a position that is currently filled (External Operations) and not for the position being vacated (Senior Women's Administrator)?  Especially considering the Senior Women's Administrator is a required position b/c of Gender Equity statues. (I believe I am correct here).  I can understand reassigning duties to best fit the current needs for the department, but it appears to me that the advertised position and the duties assigned to the job were Keith's and not Nancy's.  It also seems odd to give such a prestigious title 'Associate Athletics Director' if all the are looking for is a marketing assistant.

Maybe they have someone in mind and need to "pony up financially" to get this person.
      We...ARE...STATE!
      SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

jacks#1fan is correct. This position is Nancy's "old" position. They have restructured some things and are going to hire someone that has a strong marketing background. Keith is technically still our Associate AD - External but he is also tied in with the Foundation on raising money and taking care of big donors. This new position will help take care of some of Keith's duties on the marketing side of things. Don't look too much into the title of these positions. This is just one of the many changes that is taking place in SDSU's progression to D-I athletics.

Comment

This brings up the question of who is/will be the Senior Women's Administrator at SDSU? Do those duties move to a new position? Inquiring minds want to know!
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I have heard Dr. Oien speak on this subject in the past.

The Senior Woman Adminsitrator is is a title that is given to the highest ranking woman in the department. Nancy's job was Associate AD for Student Services with the title of SWA added on to that job. I would compare it to a pitcher in baseball being given the title of staff ace even though he is just a pitcher.

To answer Filbert's question about the next SWA, there a a couple women currently in the department that could assume that title. Kathy Haylens and Christi Williams are the names that immediately come to my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by rabbit_tracks
              I have heard Dr. Oien speak on this subject in the past.

The Senior Woman Adminsitrator is is a title that is given to the highest ranking woman in the department. Nancy's job was Associate AD for Student Services with the title of SWA added on to that job. I would compare it to a pitcher in baseball being given the title of staff ace even though he is just a pitcher.

To answer Filbert's question about the next SWA, there a a couple women currently in the department that could assume that title. Kathy Haylens and Christi Williams are the names that immediately come to my mind.
              The SWA isn't an honorary title. The NCAA bylaws give the position real authority within the institution and in the NCAA.
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Ditto on rabbit_tracks on this one. Have heard same.
                I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Working...
                X