$255,000,000 for SDSU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $255,000,000 for SDSU

Just returned from the Donors Banquet at SDSU. Over 1000 people in attendance. The $200,000,000 "It Starts with State" campaign raised over $255,000,000 in donations and pledges. Great banquet and progran and great campaign. Thanks to Lohr, Dykhouse, and Kurtenbach who co-chaired the drive and the over 23,000 individuals who made contributions.

Re: $255,000,000 for SDSU

Sincere thanks to everyone involved in organizing, donating, supporting, pledging and advertising - this is an incredible effort and I'm very proud to be a Jackrabbit! Thanks also to the two young men featured in the thank you video that was just posted on facebook - I now have lalalalalalala on repeat in my head Well done to all
    Message for the youth: “Set your goals high and work for them, because if you set your goals where they should be, it’s going to require a lot of hard work. And even if you don’t achieve them, it shows longevity, and it shows commitment. And those are both things you need for the rest of your life,” Tony Fiegen

Comment

So what does this mean for the new football stadium? Since the goal was reached, and then some, could they start working on it say after the end of the football season?

Comment

Nothing, all those $$$ have homes. The donors say what the money can be used for. The University hasn't even begun to raise money for the football stadium.

Comment

Originally posted by boxerboy View Post
          So what does this mean for the new football stadium? Since the goal was reached, and then some, could they start working on it say after the end of the football season?
          From what I understand, a much different approach will be used to finance the new football staduim, something that was never dreamed of when the orginal CAS was built in the early 1960's and that is bond financing with the bonds being retired from revenues from corporate suites.

Having Matt Krogman president of the Board of Regents will no doubt be a big plus. I am sure they will gladly accept donations from alums, but this will not be the main source of revenue as it was in 1960's. In the 1960;s they did seek multi year pledges, and ran into all sorts of resistence and we ended up with only one half of the staduim, the west stands and one dressing room and a whole bunch of bad tastes in alums mouths. Plus the students voted down twice assessments to finish the staduim.

Frost about 12 years later was financed with bonds I believe. The point I am making that bond finanicing was around in the 1960's, the BOR's atttitude was probably very anti-progressive and there were other buildings on campus that were needed at the time. Plus the Foundation was just a few file folders in the desk of an Adminstrato, and the Alumni Association was placed in charge of the fund raising which only 500 to 600k was needed to build both sides of the seating. This was the very first time that an organized effort was made to ask for money from alums. The results were on the disppointment side, but when you consider the goal currently reached, mindsets have changed.

Its another era and another time with different attitudes.
          Last edited by Nidaros; 04-28-2013, 09:18 AM.

Comment

Dean Krogman
            We...ARE...STATE!
            SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

Originally posted by GoJacks View Post
              Dean Krogman
              Thanks, been reading The Brookings Register too much.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbit74 View Post
                Just returned from the Donors Banquet at SDSU. Over 1000 people in attendance. The $200,000,000 "It Starts with State" campaign raised over $255,000,000 in donations and pledges. Great banquet and progran and great campaign. Thanks to Lohr, Dykhouse, and Kurtenbach who co-chaired the drive and the over 23,000 individuals who made contributions.
                Had a meeting in Sioux Falls that evening or I would have been there to celebrate with you. Certainly a landmark accomplishment and something SDSU needs to continue to build on. Philanthropy is something all institutions need to focus very hard on especially in an era of reduced state and federal support.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
                  Nothing, all those $$$ have homes. The donors say what the money can be used for. The University hasn't even begun to raise money for the football stadium.
                  Would it not be possible that donors could have designated some of the $255M for a new stadium? A pretty reliable little birdie told me that indeed one of the homes for those $$$ is for the new stadium, and that it's more than chump change.
                  @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
                  --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfaninne View Post
                    Would it not be possible that donors could have designated some of the $255M for a new stadium? A pretty reliable little birdie told me that indeed one of the homes for those $$$ is for the new stadium, and that it's more than chump change.
                    Yes when making donations to the Foundation you can specify where you want your money to go to.

Comment

Its a possibility, but most likely the indoor facility got some of this 255M

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                        Its a possibility, but most likely the indoor facility got some of this 255M
                        Correct, the indoor facility's fundraising is a part of the $255M.
                        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Hey Filbert, given the new ban on rumor mongering, would this qualify as a reliable source?

Comment

Originally posted by NebraskaJack View Post
                            Hey Filbert, given the new ban on rumor mongering, would this qualify as a reliable source?
                            "I refer the right honourable gentleman to the answer I gave some moments ago."

/end British House of Commons mode
                            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                              "i refer the right honourable gentleman to the answer i gave some moments ago."

/end british house of commons mode
                              here! Here! as they say on CSPAN.

On a more serious note. jacksfanineb might know something we don't know, and who ever this donor is, he/she might have likely wanted to keep his/her wishes silent, but its going to require a bond issue to finance the new stadium. One house helps but will not be worth 200 million or whatever ridiculous number will be needed to build the new stadium. Those in in the foundation no doubt know of several donations, but can not speak publicly of them.

Comment

Working...
                              X