SDSU vs. Kansas Tailgate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDSU vs. Kansas Tailgate

We sold out SDSU night at the Pheasants. We fully expect to sell this event out also. Limited to just 325 people so sign up early. When the tent on the hill is filled up the event will be sold out. See you in Lawrence.

http://www.statealum.com/s/1108/index.aspx?sid=1108&gid=1&pgid=2136&cid=2584&ecid= 2584&crid=0&calpgid=13&calcid=685

Go State!

Re: SDSU vs. Kansas Tailgate

With absolutely no disrespect to your tailgate, where they have you located will be zero fun for a tailgate atmosphere. You won't be near anyone and confined to that older building. If your intent of the tailgate is to have a little pre-game party and socializer then consider going down the hill closer to the stadium. It's ALOT more fun, I promise you.Ask any questions you want as I have a ton of experience at KU athletic events. Fun town.

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
      With absolutely no disrespect to your tailgate, where they have you located will be zero fun for a tailgate atmosphere. You won't be near anyone and confined to that older building. If your intent of the tailgate is to have a little pre-game party and socializer then consider going down the hill closer to the stadium. It's ALOT more fun, I promise you.Ask any questions you want as I have a ton of experience at KU athletic events. Fun town.
      I'm going to take advantage of your generosity. We have a decent sized crew heading down from Yankton and staying at the Oread. We would like to get a pass to one of the tailgate lots and intend to try and do so on stubhub or Craigslist or through some local connections. What lot/area would you advise? We'd like to get in there early on game day and meet some KU fans while enjoying what I hope will be a beautiful day. I'll bring down my canopies, flags and other tailgate gear so we should have a decent set-up. Tossing around the idea of catering in some BBQ for the food. Again, appreciate any advice that you can offer for us and in general.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Last year KU played McNeese on Sept 3rd and it was a 6 pm game. KU hasn't posted any of its parking or tailgate info for 2012, at least not that I can tell. I don't think they have issued any season tickets or tailgate lot/parking passes either. We were able to get prime spots for the Illinois game and would love to pull off the same thing for this game. Certainly enhances the experience.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

Hi yoteforever,

Thanks for the shout out. I think you got confused by our map (currently our tent location has not been assigned so marker A on the map represents the University of Kansas and not our tailgate spot). We will be tailgating between their Campanile and their stadium. So on the hill proper. In my previous life I organized a similar sized tailgate for a Kansas State vs. Kansas game in Lawrence. No worries we will be in a fun location! Thanks again for looking out for us.

Go State!

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit View Post
            Hi yoteforever,Thanks for the shout out. I think you got confused by our map (currently our tent location has not been assigned so marker A on the map represents the University of Kansas and not our tailgate spot). We will be tailgating between their Campanile and their stadium. So on the hill proper. In my previous life I organized a similar sized tailgate for a Kansas State vs. Kansas game in Lawrence. No worries we will be in a fun location! Thanks again for looking out for us.Go State!
            That makes sense. If you were to be on top of the hill in one of those buildings it would be zero fun. Sounds like you will get a spot on the hill south of the football stadium, and that is one of the three places to be. The other is the north
            side and well into the residential district. The east side has now started to develop as well. KU fans are sorta new to this tailgate stuff, so it's not like Iowa State or Nebraska.JackMd: I am not sure if the department issues passes in those areas to tent. I will ask my son and get him to point you in the right direction. My guess is you might get a great location. I will call my son tonight.FWIW: I think you might get a win over an FBS team. The talent level is not as good as it has Ben, and with a new coach bringing in a new scheme, I see something similar to what USD did to the Gophers.Back to the tailgate. Parking is tough unless you get a pass. I would suggest you go about 2 blocks east of the stadium and then head south to find a street spot. You may have to walk about 6-8 blocks unless again you get a tailgate spot with passes. For instance, if Doc gts a spot but oly so many passes, then you can unload your pre game "goods" on the hill above and walk them to his spot, then go park.Lastly, I am jealous of you for this game. Great times. Better than Illinois. We open next year with them and I suspect they will be a little better after one year of Weiss. USD opens that weekend in Missoula. I am flying out there. Any suggestions on where to stay or places to eat? Are their fans ok?
            Last edited by yoteforever; 06-26-2012, 08:57 PM.

Comment

I really wish I could go to this game. I have a wedding that weekend.
              Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

YF,

Thanks for advice. I've made some contacts with season ticket holders at KU as well as some KState fans that have traveled over in the past. They suggested finding a spot on "the hill" early on Saturday morning. Sounds like you can set up your own area in addition to the area where they lease tents. At Illinois I got up early, set up the spot, went back and parked at the hotel and we all walked over. I'm not sure if that is fesible from the Oread parking lot or not. Still mulling around the idea of ordering from BBQ as I'm not that kean on transporting my grill down there.

The spot 89 has reserved is an excellent one and we may very well register and make an appearance there as game time approaches. I'm hoping he sells out the tickets without us. Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                  YF,Thanks for advice. I've made some contacts with season ticket holders at KU as well as some KState fans that have traveled over in the past. They suggested finding a spot on "the hill" early on Saturday morning. Sounds like you can set up your own area in addition to the area where they lease tents. At Illinois I got up early, set up the spot, went back and parked at the hotel and we all walked over. I'm not sure if that is fesible from the Oread parking lot or not. Still mulling around the idea of ordering from BBQ as I'm not that kean on transporting my grill down there.The spot 89 has reserved is an excellent one and we may very well register and make an appearance there as game time approaches. I'm hoping he sells out the tickets without us. Thanks again.
                  Doc,You're welcome. I believe the Oread is above the stadium to the east. Hopefully they have a parking spot for you in the lot across the street. It isn't a bad walk down the hill, but you are correct, transporting a grill might not be so cool.Have fun in Lawrence. Great college town and right now a very beatable team.YFE

Comment

Doc,You're welcome. I believe the Oread is above the stadium to the east. Hopefully they have a parking spot for you in the lot across the street. It isn't a bad walk down the hill, but you are correct, transporting a grill might not be so cool.Have fun in Lawrence. Great college town and right now a very beatable team.YFE
                    The Oread has parking right at the hotel. Underground garage. Its an easy walk to the Hill from there. We shouldn't have any problem getting set up on the Hill if that's where we go.

As MD said, catering a mess of BBQ may be a good idea rather than hauling the grill. We're in a good spot for it.
                    "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                    "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

That makes sense. If you were to be on top of the hill in one of those buildings it would be zero fun. Sounds like you will get a spot on the hill south of the football stadium, and that is one of the three places to be. The other is the north
                      side and well into the residential district. The east side has now started to develop as well. KU fans are sorta new to this tailgate stuff, so it's not like Iowa State or Nebraska.JackMd: I am not sure if the department issues passes in those areas to tent. I will ask my son and get him to point you in the right direction. My guess is you might get a great location. I will call my son tonight.FWIW: I think you might get a win over an FBS team. The talent level is not as good as it has Ben, and with a new coach bringing in a new scheme, I see something similar to what USD did to the Gophers.Back to the tailgate. Parking is tough unless you get a pass. I would suggest you go about 2 blocks east of the stadium and then head south to find a street spot. You may have to walk about 6-8 blocks unless again you get a tailgate spot with passes. For instance, if Doc gts a spot but oly so many passes, then you can unload your pre game "goods" on the hill above and walk them to his spot, then go park.Lastly, I am jealous of you for this game. Great times. Better than Illinois. We open next year with them and I suspect they will be a little better after one year of Weiss. USD opens that weekend in Missoula. I am flying out there. Any suggestions on where to stay or places to eat? Are their fans ok?
                      As KU is one of my alma maters, I am very excited for the weekend. However, I'd be careful to downplay Champaign. We had a blast there last year.
                      "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                      "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
                        As KU is one of my alma maters, I am very excited for the weekend. However, I'd be careful to downplay Champaign. We had a blast there last year.
                        Wasn't meant to be personal. And you're right, I wasn't there. I just think this is a great matchup and you are going down thinking you have a great chance to beat a Big 12 school. Not many people expected that at Illinois.Have fun

Comment

Does a FCS team ever have a "great" chance of beating a FBS team? Especially from a power 6 conference? To me anytime a FCS team beats a FBS it is an upset.

Comment

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
                            Does a FCS team ever have a "great" chance of beating a FBS team? Especially from a power 6 conference? To me anytime a FCS team beats a FBS it is an upset.
                            I'd have to say last year when NDSU beat Minnesota would be the closest. I think it would've been an upset if the Gophers had won...probably not to casual CB fans, and I don't remember what Vegas had the line at. I didn't watch it, but have heard the score should've and could've been a lot worse.
                            All in all, this probably speaks to how bad things are at UM Football then FCS upsetting BCS opponents.

Go Jacks!!
                            SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
                              Since we're taking every word at heart, let me explain what I meant by "great chance". If you were heading to Nebraska or Wisconsin, odds aren't with you. However, KU is probably the worst team in the Big 12, and would be comparable to Minnesota, maybe a step (small one at that) above Minnesota. And given the fact I regard your team to be in the upper half of a good FCS league, and given the fact that KU probably won't be as excited as if they were playing UCLA, and given the fact your squad feels like they can do it, to me, that translates I to the best odds of getting the job done. Compared to playing Nebraska or Wisconsin, your chances in this game are great. *phew*

Comment

Working...
                              X