Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to SDSU fandom.

Hi All, I have a question.

I'm new to SDSU fandom. This forum has been great for reading about what other fans are talking about, the unfiltered details about athletics that won't be found in the newspaper, ESPN, the local news etc... I don't live in Brookings yet, but I'll be relocating this summer. I'm coming from College Station, TX, home of Texas A&M University.

My question is: What is one thing about SDSU athletics that every person should know?

I'm looking to hit the ground running when it comes to supporting the Jackrabbits, thanks for you help.

-milltyl

Re: New to SDSU fandom.

Originally posted by milltyl View Post
    Hi All, I have a question.

I'm new to SDSU fandom. This forum has been great for reading about what other fans are talking about, the unfiltered details about athletics that won't be found in the newspaper, ESPN, the local news etc... I don't live in Brookings yet, but I'll be relocating this summer. I'm coming from College Station, TX, home of Texas A&M University.

My question is: What is one thing about SDSU athletics that every person should know?

I'm looking to hit the ground running when it comes to supporting the Jackrabbits, thanks for you help.

-milltyl
    Welcome Milltyl -

- We are the Jackrabbits (or Jacks, or Rabbits) but never the bunnies, lady jacks, etc.

- Our school colors are yellow and blue, in that order, but never blue and yellow, blue and gold, or any other variation. It's okay, in our minds, to wear black or white unis with yellow and blue accents as long as you are a fan under 40-50 years old.

- Hobo Day is our homecoming. It is singular, Hobo Days does not exist...Hobo Week does, if you need/want to talk about the numerous events that take place outside of homecoming day.

- Nate Wolters is good at the basketball

Did I hit the main points, at least as it summarizes 95% of the discussion on this board? I'm sure others will add in...
    "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
      Welcome Milltyl -

- We are the Jackrabbits (or Jacks, or Rabbits) but never the bunnies, lady jacks, etc.

- Our school colors are yellow and blue, in that order, but never blue and yellow, blue and gold, or any other variation. It's okay, in our minds, to wear black or white unis with yellow and blue accents as long as you are a fan under 40-50 years old.

- Hobo Day is our homecoming. It is singular, Hobo Days does not exist...Hobo Week does, if you need/want to talk about the numerous events that take place outside of homecoming day.

- Nate Wolters is good at the basketball

Did I hit the main points, at least as it summarizes 95% of the discussion on this board? I'm sure others will add in...
      You did good Jack1979.

Comment

The best burgers in town are at Nick's Hamburgers. That place is not just a diner, but an institution. Just make sure you take a dose of Plavix before you order.

The big pizza chains are in Brookings, but the big pizza debate boils down to which is better... Pizza King or George's (I'm a George's fan myself)

Tailgating for Football games is north of the Stadium. Pretty fun to walk through before gametime.

The marching band is called "The Pride of the Dakotas". This is a name bestowed on the band by the South Dakota Legislature in 1962. They are also the only band in recent history that has received unsportsmanlike penalties during football games--a point of pride/infamy for the past and present members.

And most importantly... Jacks rule, Yoties drool!
        I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Women's basketball is a pretty big thing at SDSU, and deserves to be followed as closely as the men's basketball.

SDSU is a land-grant U, and celebrates many sporting events as a particular Ag-centric event. Cereal Bowl & Beef Bowl in football. Pork and Lamb Classics in basketball.

Comment

I did not know it was Hobo Day...always thought it was teh plural. Also did not know you guys were so particular about the order of your school colors. Interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by TransAmBison View Post
              I did not know it was Hobo Day...always thought it was teh plural. Also did not know you guys were so particular about the order of your school colors. Interesting.
              Some of us a little more than others.
              Originally posted by JackFan96
              Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by TransAmBison View Post
                I like to yell "Let's go Bunnies" or "Rabbits", very rarely do I say Jacks. I prefer all blue Uni's, unlike Kyle Minnet, I don't care for the Yellow pants. Of course Kyle actually wore them for the school, so I guess his vote has a little more weight. I prefer a Jacks Win, a Bison loss, and a dead 'Yote. But if any of them beat UNI, I'm good with that too. And TAB and Hando are the most tolerable of the Bizzzon faithful. These are just a few of my favorite things.
                With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

if you like rodeo we got it still don't we. Is the Jackrabbit Stampede still held every spring?

Comment

Stolen from Wikipedia -

Notable alumni

Comment

We are serious about sportsmanship and academics:

http://www.thesummitleague.org/ViewA...63&SPSID=21713
                      http://www.thesummitleague.org/ViewA...63&SPSID=21713
                      http://www.thesummitleague.org/ViewA...67&SPSID=21757
                      http://www.gojacks.com/ViewArticle.d...47&SPSID=64578
                      http://www.gojacks.com/ViewArticle.d...47&SPSID=64578
                      http://www.gojacks.com/ViewArticle.d...CLID=205340459
                      http://www.statealum.com/s/1108/inde...089&cid=1301&e

I didn't get all of the academic awards links up, but you should get the general idea.
                      Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

Originally posted by MaddogJack View Post
                        Stolen from Wikipedia -

Notable alumni
                        Nomination for post with the most broken links

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
                          I like to yell "Let's go Bunnies".
                          Cringe. I've always thought of Bunnies as derogatory for some reason, a way for our rivals to make fun of our mascot. We are the Jackrabbits, Rabbits, or Jacks in my mind. I can tolerate 'Bits as well...that has seemed to gain popularity with the football team as of late.
                          "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
                            Cringe. I've always thought of Bunnies as derogatory for some reason, a way for our rivals to make fun of our mascot. We are the Jackrabbits, Rabbits, or Jacks in my mind. I can tolerate 'Bits as well...that has seemed to gain popularity with the football team as of late.
                            Young folks now days love to shorten words and phrases where it's at a point that you don't know what they are speaking of and they love to talking fast. Maybe it has to do with the speed of things, and people never having speak in complete sentences. I too, did not get "bits" useage meaning Jackrabbits. I guess we should have chosen hares instead of jackrabbits.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                              Young folks now days love to shorten words and phrases where it's at a point that you don't know what they are speaking of and they love to talking fast. Maybe it has to do with the speed of things, and people never having speak in complete sentences. I too, did not get "bits" useage meaning Jackrabbits. I guess we should have chosen hares instead of jackrabbits.
                              Now you are just splitting hares.

Comment

Working...
                              X