• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Campaninle Video

I thought some of you would enjoy this:

http://www.statealum.com/s/1108/inde...id=1&pgid=1882

Go State!

Re: Campaninle Video

"At one time, the Hobo Day committee would sleep at the top of the Campanile..."

It probably wasn't the Hobo Day committee, but last time I was to the top of the Campanile, somebody had left an artifact that they had used while "sleeping" at the top. Hope the film makers got that out of there before they made the video.

On a serious note, I really enjoyed the video, thanks for the link.
    "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

I never slept there, and I never "slept" there. However, I did get a pretty good thrill one day when I was in high school. I climbed to the top when there was a gentleman working on refurbishing the chimes and the colored lights which shine on the lighter concrete part of the top of the building. He let me go out on the balconies at the top. He also let me climb his ladder up into the top where the chimes reside. They fill that part of the building. It is impossible to get more than 2 or 3 feet from them. There were on a timer and they played while I was standing close enough to touch them. I thought they would be deafening at that close range but they were not.

I think I took some pictures that day. I will have to see if I can locate them.
      Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

That's a great video.

I have to confess I've never been inside the Campanile. Climbing the Campanile steps when the weather is nice is now on the 'to do' list.

Comment

Great job Matt! I know a lot of alumni will enjoy viewing this. I would suggest you see if they wouldn't want to feature this on their Spotlight on State segment of the Jackrabbit Insider. I think there are a lot of people that watch the Insider and it would get considerable recognition for the Alumni Association. Should have you on it to introduce it as well!

Comment

Great video. Didn't know the history behind it. Pretty cool thanks!
            Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
              Great job Matt! I know a lot of alumni will enjoy viewing this. I would suggest you see if they wouldn't want to feature this on their Spotlight on State segment of the Jackrabbit Insider. I think there are a lot of people that watch the Insider and it would get considerable recognition for the Alumni Association. Should have you on it to introduce it as well!

This is a good idea. Adding alumni things into it would possibly enhance funding?
              Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

I was reading about the Pride on the alumni assc site and it said the pride is under the direction of director of athletic bands Jim Coull.

Now I was in the Pride and loved it but I woud have a hard time calling anything about the pride and bands athletic, we were far from it.

haha get it, lame joke I know.
                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                  Good idea, I have sent it to Tyler.

Go State!

Comment

A great video, 89 rabbit, good job. I thought Chuck Cecil did a great job too explaining the Pugsley interaction with Charles Coughlin and how the other things surrounding the campanile came about. This was all news to me. Kudos to Chuck who has spent endless hours in the newspaper archives doing an abundant amount of research, including that of the Brookings community. Since I have ties to some of the early families in Brookings County, Chuck has done a ton of family research work for me in writing some of his books. Some things I have never gotten around to researching.

I might add all the proceeds from his books are donated to the Brookings County Historical Society when it relates to county history, and am not sure SDSU related books. He has had a very productive and generous retirement.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                      That's a great video.

I have to confess I've never been inside the Campanile. Climbing the Campanile steps when the weather is nice is now on the 'to do' list.
                      It is a LONG way up, but the view from the top is amazing.
                      Originally posted by JackFan96
                      Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

When I was going to school at SDSU in the early 90's, I climbed the Campanile one Saturday with my Family while they were visiting (I think there was a free ice cream promotion). When we stopped at one of the landings to take a break, my mom noticed a picture that was hanging in there that showed a nursing student looking into an incubator at a premature newborn baby. Mom recognized the student & the picture since we had a copy of the picture at home - the picture was of me.

I understand that most of the pictures were changed during the renovation in early 2000, but that was still a very cool moment.

Comment

Re: Campanile Video

Fall of 1975 a member of the Hobo Day committee just happened to have a key to the campanile. One evening a dozen or so members of the committee at a party decided to mount an expedition to the summit of the tower. Around midnite the brave bearded ones and their hairy legged commpanions covertly pierced the UPD security blanket surrounding the structure and began the assault on the precipice. With sleeping bags and a case of New Ulm beer the team established base camp at the peak of the brick ediface. After a few celebratory toasts the group dozed off. At dawn, the expedition was awakened by the sound of the door opening at the base. Everyone held their breath waiting to hear the sound of someone climbing the stairs but luckily a few seconds later who ever was there went back out. The group quickly gathered up their belongings and began the decent. One by one, the committee members "non chalantly" exited the base into the early morning light. One last point.....the statute of limitations has run.

Comment

Working...
                          X