Both basketball teams ranking in top 100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Both basketball teams ranking in top 100

Jeff Sagarin's rankings have both the men and women's teams ranked in the top 100.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/bkc1011.htm

The men lead The Summit league with a 88 ranking today. The Summit is ranked as the number 16 conference.

http://www.rpiratings.com/womrate.htm

The women are ranked 81 today with the conference ranked number 20. These don't include last night's victory so the women will move up further once those are added in. (Last nights win jumped them up to number 55)

Nice to see this type of ranking for both teams.
    Last edited by Rabbit74; 11-25-2010, 11:28 AM.

Re: Both basketball teams ranking in top 100

Originally posted by Rabbit74 View Post
    Jeff Sagarin's rankings have both the men and women's teams ranked in the top 100.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/bkc1011.htm

The men lead The Summit league with a 88 ranking today. The Summit is ranked as the number 16 conference.

http://www.rpiratings.com/womrate.htm

The women are ranked 81 today with the conference ranked number 20. These don't include last night's victory so the women will move up further once those are added in. (Last nights win jumped them up to number 55)

Nice to see this type of ranking for both teams.
    Note for those who have previously commented on the superiority of the Big Sky as compared to the Summit. BS is 19, Summit 16. BS is clearly far better.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

After the Illinios State victory the women have moved up to #55. I know it early but its still pretty cool.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
        Note for those who have previously commented on the superiority of the Big Sky as compared to the Summit. BS is 19, Summit 16. BS is clearly far better.
        And as noted on many other threads, the Summit will not have two of the 3 lowest schools in the conference in two years.

Comment

Too much time on my hands tonight. I have calculated the average of his ratings for all of the teams in the conferences they will be in rather than the ones that they are currently in. Based on those simple averages, The Summit League ranks as the 14th best conference for men and 17th for women compared to the Big Sky's 22nd for men and 21th for women. The dropping of Centenary and Southern Utah and addition of USD improves the Conference rankings significantly. The Great West is 33 rd in each.
          Last edited by Rabbit74; 11-25-2010, 11:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbit74 View Post
            Too much time on my hands tonight. I have calculated the average of his ratings for all of the teams in the conferences they will be in rather than the ones that they are currently in. Based on those simple averages, The Summit League ranks as the 14th best conference for men and 17th for women compared to the Big Sky's 22nd for men and 21th for women. The dropping of Centenary and Southern Utah and addition of USD improves the Conference rankings significantly. The Great West is 33 rd in each.
            Good info. Amazing how vocal some people can be about an issue that they don't know the facts about. I think several people tried to explain to certain posters the misconception that the BSC is far superior to the SL when it comes to basketball when in reality the facts support that they are probably about equal. Neither is likely to make any major waves in any post-season tourneys and neither is likely to qualify more than 1 team for the NCAAs.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

Other than CF, who actually said the BSC was better than the Summit?
              Originally posted by JackFan96
              Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObserver View Post

Dave Boots...on KWSN. He REALLY liked the idea of the Big Sky.

Go Jacks!!
                SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Keep in mind there are people outside of this forum that have opinions about current events.

There is a perception, perhaps appropriate, amongst many that the BSC is better. Why? There has been more name familiarity. The Summit is a new name for a conference that has seen a lot of shifting amongst members. In addition some the the Summit members have non-traditional names with unusual abbreviations. You don't see that in the BSC.

My point, I think there needs to be more information based on power rankings, conference comparison, etc.. available to the casual fan. It will help generate more excitement about the Summit league and I think SDSU benefits from that.

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
                    Dave Boots...on KWSN. He REALLY liked the idea of the Big Sky.

Go Jacks!!
                    Was this before or after USD accepted the MVFC invitation? If it was before, then it doesn't surprise me that he said it.

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                    Keep in mind there are people outside of this forum that have opinions about current events.
                    Preposterous.

Comment

Preposterous.
                      Some of them will even talk to me. You should try approaching them, might broaden your perspective. On second thought, that could be dangerous, keep to yourself.

Comment

Was this before or after USD accepted the MVFC invitation? If it was before, then it doesn't surprise me that he said it.
                        It was before...but would it really have been so hard, since you're currently in the Summit to say..."As the Men's BB Coach at USD I am very please with the chance to play in the Summit and IMO it is just as strong a league as the Big Sky. But if we end up in the Big Sky, I think that would be good for our student-athletes as well."

But he didn't and instead of looking at past ranking systems, he of course just went off of name-recognition(Montana, namely) and spouted off about how much more competitive and more name-recognition there would be as a member of the Big Sky. I actually will give Coach Boots props for being honest in his interview, but my guess is, from reading your reply, that you don't think he was being honest in his interview and was just pandering to USD fans?

Go Jacks!!
                        SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
                          I actually will give Coach Boots props for being honest in his interview, but my guess is, from reading your reply, that you don't think he was being honest in his interview and was just pandering to USD fans?
                          Yes that is what I assumed, but I didn't hear the interview like you did.

Hard for me to view Coach Boots in an objective, non-biased way.

Comment

Gentlemen, there is one way to find out who is better........Summit League or the Big Sky? Maybe a return to the holiday tournament format. How interesting would it be to host three of four BS schools at Frost over Thanksgiving or Xmas. USD vs Montana, NDSU vs Northern Colorado and the Jacks vs UND. I miss the old holiday tournaments in Sioux Falls.

GBGBGJ

Comment

Chains, I like the sounds of it. As the newest member of the ex-Brookingsite's living in Rapid City - I'll do what I can to make it happen at the Rushmore Civic Center. Good airport for the BSC schools that are taking part.

We're always looking for people to fill our hotels during December and January. I'll save my rooms for the Jacks fans - Lakes can stay with the others at the Motel 6 or Super 8.

Comment

Working...
                              X