X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Preliminary Athletics Facility Plan

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
    now was not the time
    Exactly. The BoR is in a state of perpetual retreat. It's a governing board that wouldn't say bo to a goose.

They wouldn't approve a 15 year master plan that doesn't have a dime's worth of funding in it.

I recall Dr. Gambill's retirement ceremony when he said that he hired tough people because they were the only kind of people who could make it out here. BoR is the same deal. They aren't tough. There isn't an ounce of fight in them.

Been reading Hamlin Garland lately. This part of the country wasn't settled by spineless cringers, and if higher education is to be respected in this state, it won't be due to milquetoasts like those on the BoR. It will be through vigorous hard working individuals that refuse to give in to the legislature and the general public.

The public's attitude toward higher ed in this state is sod, and the regental institutions need sodbusters on the BoR. These regents couldn't hoe a row of radishes.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
      Exactly. The BoR is in a state of perpetual retreat. It's a governing board that wouldn't say bo to a goose.

They wouldn't approve a 15 year master plan that doesn't have a dime's worth of funding in it.

I recall Dr. Gambill's retirement ceremony when he said that he hired tough people because they were the only kind of people who could make it out here. BoR is the same deal. They aren't tough. There isn't an ounce of fight in them.

Been reading Hamlin Garland lately. This part of the country wasn't settled by spineless cringers, and if higher education is to be respected in this state, it won't be due to milquetoasts like those on the BoR. It will be through vigorous hard working individuals that refuse to give in to the legislature and the general public.

The public's attitude toward higher ed in this state is sod, and the regental institutions need sodbusters on the BoR. These regents couldn't hoe a row of radishes.
      Hamlin Garland's Main Traveled Roads was part of the required reading for a Literature elective I took about 45 years ago. I still have the book. I need to dust it off and re-read it. Garland lived in South Dakota for a time. Forget what town but its close to Redfield I believe.

I agree the BOR collectively seem to be imitating the Lion in Wizard of Oz. They lost their courage. Well not maybe Dean Krogman, but he has only one vote.

Comment

I wonder if the delay has anything to do with this year being an election year?

Comment

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
          Who has contact info for the individual Regents so we can contact them?
          Dean Krogman is involved in Real estate in Brookings, he is an SDSU grad, no doubt is not part of the tabling committee. Google Gustavson and Krogman Reality and you should come up with address . Also the SOBOR webpages should have addesses for everyone .

www.sdbor.edu

SD Board of Regents
          306 East Capitol Ave
          Suite 200
          Pierre, SD 57501
          605 773 3455

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
            Hamlin Garland's Main Traveled Roads was part of the required reading for a Literature elective I took about 45 years ago.
            It should still be required reading. It and Giants in the Earth. This is still a frontier state.

Comment

Originally posted by 22jack View Post
              I wonder if the delay has anything to do with this year being an election year?
              bingo, we have power ball winner.

Comment

bingo, we have power ball winner.
                They're not elected!!!!!!!

Why have an appointed body if they're going to respond to political pressure?

Comment

True they are not elected, but its about images that are formed out of news stories about the BOR what they do or dont do. Building non-academic facilities does not give a good image right now. I am assuming Dugaard will win in November, and this is coming from a Democrat, so I suppose new people could be appointed depending how those current members rate in the new elected governor book and stuff like that. Being appointed does not always give political independence. There is pressure from a bunch of people who want something from each BOR member.

No doubt who shows up in the legislature after Jan 1, are those who the BOR will have to deal with. I blame Harvey Jewett more than anyone as he seems to be all concerned about images etc. and some of the things he said during the move to D1, give me the impression he is not sold on athletic facilities at either SDSU or USD, and yet he grew up Flandreau and a buddy of Janklow. The amusing part is that Terry Baluon, the retired Wells Fargo exec has just finished working with Jim Woster on finding funds for the convention center in Sioux Falls. So now he wants to table our plan, but no doubt he given the SF project was given a double green light. Seem like some are overly involved in things around the state.

I think that Mercer's blog was properly titled "Pure Pierre Politics".

Comment

Members of the Board of Regents:
                    http://www.sdbor.edu/theboard/members/index.htm
                    This space for lease.

Comment

Who do you think apoints them?

Comment

The Governor and see my last post, I think each BOR feels pressure from the governors office plus from members of the legislature. You have to have an ego to want to be a BOR Member. Though they could have an impact on construction costs by delaying, I am beginning to see some wisdom in delaying these projects. I suspect too, the new Executive director, though in favor of the plans, still needs to take some time and update their master plans to see how everything fits in. I beginning to think this delay is no big deal and given the possiblity of dealing with different people after January 1, it probably makes some sense.

Comment

Nobody respects a toady. If the BoR exists solely to propose a budget and then fight a rearguard action to keep the legislature from pillaging it, then why have them around at all?

149 years since the Dakota legislature chartered USD and people have an even lower opinion of higher ed. Thanks BoR. You've really done a good job educating the public.

Comment

I agree the BOR collectively seem to be imitating the Lion in Wizard of Oz. They lost their courage.
                            This may be the first Wizard of Oz reference on the board, at least the first that I can remember it is worthy of rep points (given). If there were others, they weren't as good and there haven't been many. Kind of a shame since it was written in SD (at least in part).

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

I feel like I have to step in and defend the BoR a little bit here (and yes, I am kind of surprised that I just typed that sentence.)

Outside of this decision, I have found since I returned six years ago, that the BoR has done a pretty good job of managing higher education in the state. This isn't the BoR of 30 years ago. Those of you who were around then will understand what I mean by that.

The Regents have boosted faculty salaries dramatically, to a point where SD isn't the laughingstock it once was. We are now relatively competitive in attracting good faculty. They have found resources to enhance research on the campuses. They have adjusted the funding structure so the larger campuses like SDSU and USD aren't forced to support the tiny campuses as much. They have decentralized a bit, giving local campuses a bit more control over things.

Have they done everything we would like? No. And I'm not thrilled with this decision, but I can understand the politics of it. Nonetheless, the board has done some good things that have benefited SDSU (and USD) over the past six years.
                              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                                I feel like I have to step in and defend the BoR a little bit here (and yes, I am kind of surprised that I just typed that sentence.)

Outside of this decision, I have found since I returned six years ago, that the BoR has done a pretty good job of managing higher education in the state. This isn't the BoR of 30 years ago. Those of you who were around then will understand what I mean by that.

The Regents have boosted faculty salaries dramatically, to a point where SD isn't the laughingstock it once was. We are now relatively competitive in attracting good faculty. They have found resources to enhance research on the campuses. They have adjusted the funding structure so the larger campuses like SDSU and USD aren't forced to support the tiny campuses as much. They have decentralized a bit, giving local campuses a bit more control over things.

Have they done everything we would like? No. And I'm not thrilled with this decision, but I can understand the politics of it. Nonetheless, the board has done some good things that have benefited SDSU (and USD) over the past six years.
                                So they are doing a good job because you and your colleagues got a raise? As bad as this decision was I believe it's rallying even more support for these important projects. I know there is some interest in drafting a bill that would alter the decision process for the BOR and Legislatures on university projects when they don't have any skin in the game.

Comment

Working...
                                X