X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interstate 49

US Highway 71 in Missouri will get $65M interstate upgrade

Why should I care, you ask?

This will make road trips to Oral Roberts and to Missouri State that much easier . . . direct Interstate all the way south from Brookings to Joplin and I-44, where you'll just take a left turn to Springfield, or a right turn to Tulsa.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Re: Interstate 49

It's already pretty close to being interstate spec. Only 12 grade crossings over what? 100+ miles?

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
      It's already pretty close to being interstate spec. Only 12 grade crossings over what? 100+ miles?
      Yeah, but it's more a psychological thing than anything else, I think. Just sumthin' about them red, white, and blue signs . . .

Plus Google Maps and other GPS systems will begin treating US 71 like a possible route . . .
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Is US 71 called Prospect Street as it runs through Kansas City? If it is, it is a great street not to stop on and ask directions.

Comment

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post
          Is US 71 called Prospect Street as it runs through Kansas City? If it is, it is a great street not to stop on and ask directions.
          Yeah, the locals along Prospect are the ones who refused to let MoDOT put interchanges in, so that there's a two and a half mile stretch in Kansas City where the highway has stoplights instead of being an Interstate-class controlled access freeway. The sightseeing at those occasional red lights is fascinating at times . . .
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

That depends completely on what you are seeking directions for.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

About 15 yrs ago me and a buddy ended up on Prospect Street somehow at like midnight. I would not recommend it.
              "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Upon further review, Prospect is actually a block west of the current route of US 71.

And yeah, it's probably not a place a person from South Dakota would want to find him/herself after midnight.

What do I know? I live out in the suburbs . . .
                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Just returned from New Orleans and traveled the stretch of US 71 referenced here. Was good road, and saw several of the new interchanges, with signs for others planned. Agree with Filbert, this is a great stretch running south from I-29 and then US 71. Wondered if they wouldn't just call it I-29 all the way down if it ever gets upgraded to interstate status? Anyway, there were three stoplights on the stretch in Kansas City, but it was an excellent route otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                    Just returned from New Orleans and traveled the stretch of US 71 referenced here. Was good road, and saw several of the new interchanges, with signs for others planned. Agree with Filbert, this is a great stretch running south from I-29 and then US 71. Wondered if they wouldn't just call it I-29 all the way down if it ever gets upgraded to interstate status? Anyway, there were three stoplights on the stretch in Kansas City, but it was an excellent route otherwise.
                    I-49 is the New Orleans to KC stretch, with the I-10 (Lafayette, LA) to Texarkana stretch all done, as well as southern Ft. Smith to Bentonville AR done.

Sorry that we didn't get to do some Hurricanes #1!

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
                      About 15 yrs ago me and a buddy ended up on Prospect Street somehow at like midnight. I would not recommend it.
                      Roll 'em up.
                      @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
                      --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Working...
                      X