SDHSAA Championships

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDHSAA Championships

Championship matches at 6 PM Mountain Time tonight on SDPB.

Some wrestlers to watch:

Class B
    152- Jackson Remmers McCook Central Montrose 50-0 Junior, has won over Iowa state champ, yes I may be a bit bias here…

170- Burk Blasius, Badlands Brawlers (he’s from Wall, would have been a teammate of Cody Donnelly) 25-1 (single loss was an injury default) Junior. He has wrecked everyone this year. He is a great athlete and tough as a bull. Has a lot of D2 football offers and SDSU is looking at him for football too. Led Wall to the 9AA state championship in football.

285- Grady Fey, Redfield Area 42-1 Junior. Has a big frame and could be a good in state kid to provide depth at HWT.

I am a class B guy so I don’t know much about A but some names to look at in my very limited opinion.

Class A
    106- Brendon Oehme, Brandon Valley 37-4 8th grader. There are 4 Oehme brothers who are all going for state championships tonight.

120- Sloan Johannsen, Watertown 47-0 Junior

160- Keenan Sheridan, O Gorman 42-2 Sophomore

285- Navarro Schunke, Brandon Valley 24-0 Junior. Brother wrestled for Arizona State. He is a big time football and wrestling recruit.

Originally posted by salemjack View Post
    Championship matches at 6 PM Mountain Time tonight on SDPB.

Some wrestlers to watch:

Class B
    152- Jackson Remmers McCook Central Montrose 50-0 Junior, has won over Iowa state champ, yes I may be a bit bias here…

170- Burk Blasius, Badlands Brawlers (he’s from Wall, would have been a teammate of Cody Donnelly) 25-1 (single loss was an injury default) Junior. He has wrecked everyone this year. He is a great athlete and tough as a bull. Has a lot of D2 football offers and SDSU is looking at him for football too. Led Wall to the 9AA state championship in football.

285- Grady Fey, Redfield Area 42-1 Junior. Has a big frame and could be a good in state kid to provide depth at HWT.

I am a class B guy so I don’t know much about A but some names to look at in my very limited opinion.

Class A
    106- Brendon Oehme, Brandon Valley 37-4 8th grader. There are 4 Oehme brothers who are all going for state championships tonight.

120- Sloan Johannsen, Watertown 47-0 Junior

160- Keenan Sheridan, O Gorman 42-2 Sophomore

285- Navarro Schunke, Brandon Valley 24-0 Junior. Brother wrestled for Arizona State. He is a big time football and wrestling recruit.
    What about the Hansen kid from Gregory? He's going for #3 tonight I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post

What about the Hansen kid from Gregory? He's going for #3 tonight I believe.
      He’s headed to Augie.

Comment

Imma take it back on Sheridan and Fey

Comment

have not heard anyone planning to be a jackrabbit. seems like i heard several kids going to augie and some seemed somewhat impressive. BV i believe 138 lb, Mentzer (i think they said 40-0 on the year) won every match at state by fall and the longest match took a minute

Comment

Mentzer looked impressive, excited to see what he does at Auggie. Johannsen is getting looks from at least one D1 program already but no idea what his plans or goals are. Schunke is getting a lot of looks for football and wrestling but haven’t talked to anyone close to him to know which way he is leaning but would be someone we want to keep in state if he decides to go the wrestling route. Gross from Huron is only a sophomore and came up short against Air Force commit Oehme who he beat last year in the finals, he is someone to keep a really close eye on. Would love to see Blasius & Remmers at Junior nationals this summer to see how they stack up outside our borders, they both looked good last night.

Comment

It wasn't long ago that less than half of SoDak's top ten wrestlers in any given class were wrestling in college. It's great for the state to have Augie, Northern State, Wesleyan, and some out of state schools pick some of these guys up and keep them wrestling. Over time, I think we'll see more of these wrestlers fill out the coaching ranks in highschools and clubs accross the state and we'll get to see a higher caliber of South Dakota wrestler who has the ability and the character to compete at the DI level. I'd love to see the staff take chances on more of these guys, but it's getting a lot harder to make that arguement as we see them miss on the bigger recruits, and so many of the ones they have gotten, wash out or under perform. This hurts them in a few ways; they don't build recruiting connections with important community members, they miss on some local booster money, duel meet attendance doesn't gain from local familys coming to see their sons and nephews wrestling on Friday nights, camp attendance isn't what it could be, and the next generation of wrestlers is being tought by alumni from other schools, perpetuating the problem. I don't think that they're wrong to approach recruiting like they are, bringing in kids from outside if the midwest as well as Minnesota and Iowa, but it is a trade-off that they're choosing to make. I can't speak to their character (I keep talking up wrestlers, only to find that they are terrible people who can't hack it in a world where rules exist) but I think that Johannsen and Blasius specifically have the wrestling skill to be DI contributers. I don't think that either of them end up being jackrabbits. What they might do, is to pick up a kid or two who is unlikely to contribute but who has strong ties to the community and who can recruit and fundraise on their behalf, which is honestly not a bad move. It would be cool to see them pick up another LOG guy or two to better develop that relationship.

Comment

All will be fine as long as they get the result, but having home grown AA is pretty special

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TheWombat View Post
                  It wasn't long ago that less than half of SoDak's top ten wrestlers in any given class were wrestling in college. It's great for the state to have Augie, Northern State, Wesleyan, and some out of state schools pick some of these guys up and keep them wrestling. Over time, I think we'll see more of these wrestlers fill out the coaching ranks in highschools and clubs accross the state and we'll get to see a higher caliber of South Dakota wrestler who has the ability and the character to compete at the DI level. I'd love to see the staff take chances on more of these guys, but it's getting a lot harder to make that arguement as we see them miss on the bigger recruits, and so many of the ones they have gotten, wash out or under perform. This hurts them in a few ways; they don't build recruiting connections with important community members, they miss on some local booster money, duel meet attendance doesn't gain from local familys coming to see their sons and nephews wrestling on Friday nights, camp attendance isn't what it could be, and the next generation of wrestlers is being tought by alumni from other schools, perpetuating the problem. I don't think that they're wrong to approach recruiting like they are, bringing in kids from outside if the midwest as well as Minnesota and Iowa, but it is a trade-off that they're choosing to make. I can't speak to their character (I keep talking up wrestlers, only to find that they are terrible people who can't hack it in a world where rules exist) but I think that Johannsen and Blasius specifically have the wrestling skill to be DI contributers. I don't think that either of them end up being jackrabbits. What they might do, is to pick up a kid or two who is unlikely to contribute but who has strong ties to the community and who can recruit and fundraise on their behalf, which is honestly not a bad move. It would be cool to see them pick up another LOG guy or two to better develop that relationship.
                  I think your right about the level of SD wrestling improving over the years. You got guys like Nate Rotert at Harrisburg now and they will have a great impact. Also USF is starting mens and women’s wrestling and so there will be even more options for South Dakota kids.

Comment

Working...
                  X