Tanner Sloan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tanner Sloan

Tell me how good is Tanner Sloan? National title contender? I think so. My hype on him the last 2 years has been surely of AA status but I believe his health held him back. He appears to be running on all cylinders and I believe he is the man to beat come this post season. He has a great win over Elam and dominate wins over Surber and Pentz. I believe a Big 12 championship could get him a top 3 seed in the NCAA tourney.

Should for sure be an AA; a little surprised he has been yet. I think he can beat anyone….hopefully this is the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Fishhook View Post
      Tell me how good is Tanner Sloan? National title contender? I think so. My hype on him the last 2 years has been surely of AA status but I believe his health held him back. He appears to be running on all cylinders and I believe he is the man to beat come this post season. He has a great win over Elam and dominate wins over Surber and Pentz. I believe a Big 12 championship could get him a top 3 seed in the NCAA tourney.
      I totally agree with you on this. He looks healthy and looks to be leaner / more defined than past years. Part of it could be having his weight in total control too? I'm not sure but there is a big difference. He is a contender. 3 of the top 10 are in the big 12 so that will tell a lot for seeding NCAA. Unlike other weight classes, I also think anyone of the top 8 could win 197 at NCAA.

Comment

Originally posted by JRFanatic View Post
        Should for sure be an AA; a little surprised he has been yet. I think he can beat anyone….hopefully this is the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        I too am surprised he hasn’t AA’d yet after his redshirt year but injury and Covid did derail 2 NCAAs. I think this is the year he puts it together
        "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

197 is kind of a crazy weight. There is nobody in the field that Sloan cannot beat on his best day, but there are ten or fifteen who could beat him on his worst day. I think he pushes through this year and places.

Comment

for whatever it is worth, it was nice to see Sloan get the top seed for the Big 12 championships, hopefully that will mean maybe he can get one match that is just a little less difficult than some of the other top guys, but i know the whole field is tough at this weight

Comment

He answered our question, yes a title contender! Next year he should be pre-season top 3 with rumors of Ferrari being back and Brooks rumored moving up to 197. Sloan will need to be better this next year than this year in order to be that national champ. Expecting improvement with the staff and partners at SDSU isn’t a far reach by any means.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishhook View Post
                He answered our question, yes a title contender! Next year he should be pre-season top 3 with rumors of Ferrari being back and Brooks rumored moving up to 197. Sloan will need to be better this next year than this year in order to be that national champ. Expecting improvement with the staff and partners at SDSU isn’t a far reach by any means.
                WOW you scared me
                when i saw this topic come back to the top of the wrestling conversation, i was REALLY scared what i was going to read when i opened it up. very happy my worry was for nothing!!!!!

Comment

Bernie Truax just committed to Penn State. He will wrestle 184 and Brooks will move up to 197.

Comment

Originally posted by salemjack View Post
                    Bernie Truax just committed to Penn State. He will wrestle 184 and Brooks will move up to 197.
                    It is SO SO COMMON for fans to think that next year is going to be the year. Here is just one excellent example that there are ALWAYS many factors in sports that you have absolutely NO CONTROL over. This is why athletes MUST never think that they are playing with house money and / or that they will have another chance!! you have to play every play and wrestle every match like it is the last one you are going to have

not saying Sloan cannot win but, just because he was runner up this year nothing is even close to a guarantee and it is not going to be easy

just a curiosity, for those who know more, what is the scenario with Sloan's weight? meaning, it appears that he makes weight at 197 a lot easier than most of the other top 197s, yes? i am sure there is no way he could get down to 184, right? but he definitely looks noticeably smaller than plenty of the other top 197 guys. Elam for example appears he could easily be 10 lbs heavier if not more. i would swear it looks like he is making 197 with some lbs to spare and others are taking advantage of all the extra lbs allowed later in the season as well as adding a bit of weight after passing weigh in

Comment

Originally posted by LetsGoRabbits View Post

It is SO SO COMMON for fans to think that next year is going to be the year. Here is just one excellent example that there are ALWAYS many factors in sports that you have absolutely NO CONTROL over. This is why athletes MUST never think that they are playing with house money and / or that they will have another chance!! you have to play every play and wrestle every match like it is the last one you are going to have

not saying Sloan cannot win but, just because he was runner up this year nothing is even close to a guarantee and it is not going to be easy

just a curiosity, for those who know more, what is the scenario with Sloan's weight? meaning, it appears that he makes weight at 197 a lot easier than most of the other top 197s, yes? i am sure there is no way he could get down to 184, right? but he definitely looks noticeably smaller than plenty of the other top 197 guys. Elam for example appears he could easily be 10 lbs heavier if not more. i would swear it looks like he is making 197 with some lbs to spare and others are taking advantage of all the extra lbs allowed later in the season as well as adding a bit of weight after passing weigh in
                      Full size enough 197 that there is little chance of this occurring. What extra pounds allowed later in the year?

Comment

Originally posted by bennymj171 View Post

Full size enough 197 that there is little chance of this occurring. What extra pounds allowed later in the year?
                        thanks for answering. like i said i figured it was HIGHLY unlikely if not impossible. he does look a bit smaller than some opponents though doesnt he? my guess was he either is a little smaller (kind of walking around weight) or it is just about where and how he carries the weight

and i guess i am showing my lack of knowledge about wrestling in general / college wrestling. i hope i have made it clear that i am FAR from an expert (like and appreciate the sport VERY much!! but most of my life have been FAR more involved with BB during that part of the year) i thought that there was a point in the season where athletes were given some additional lbs. from your question, apparently i am wrong? does that happen in high school wrestling? or did i totally imagine something

as long as i am showing off my stupidity, how many times do they weigh in for multiple day tourney like conference and nationals? just the first day? or more than once?

Comment

I think that Sloan is a pretty average sized 197. He might be a tad more effective with another 3-5 lbs of muscle to make it more of a cut for him. He has had a little trouble with some of the roid ragers at the weight in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by LetsGoRabbits View Post

thanks for answering. like i said i figured it was HIGHLY unlikely if not impossible. he does look a bit smaller than some opponents though doesnt he? my guess was he either is a little smaller (kind of walking around weight) or it is just about where and how he carries the weight

and i guess i am showing my lack of knowledge about wrestling in general / college wrestling. i hope i have made it clear that i am FAR from an expert (like and appreciate the sport VERY much!! but most of my life have been FAR more involved with BB during that part of the year) i thought that there was a point in the season where athletes were given some additional lbs. from your question, apparently i am wrong? does that happen in high school wrestling? or did i totally imagine something

as long as i am showing off my stupidity, how many times do they weigh in for multiple day tourney like conference and nationals? just the first day? or more than once?
                            No additional pounds in college as far as I know but yes you get 2 pounds in high school, you weigh in each day 2 hours before competition starts of a multi day tournament, you might get a pound the second day of back to back weigh ins in college but I’m actually leaning towards not in college and only in high school

Comment

Originally posted by bennymj171 View Post

No additional pounds in college as far as I know but yes you get 2 pounds in high school, you weigh in each day 2 hours before competition starts of a multi day tournament, you might get a pound the second day of back to back weigh ins in college but I’m actually leaning towards not in college and only in high school
                              thank you benny!!
                              i appreciate your tolerance of my stupidity and your sharing of info to try to help educate me!
                              i should have known better than to assume they got those lbs in college!! i am beyond aware of the fact i know almost nothing about the rules

Comment

Working...
                              X