No announcement yet.

Women’s Wrestling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Denver has 18 sports and St. Thomas offers 22 (counting indoor & outdoor track separately).

Comment

I’m saying add womens wrestling and drop equestrian which I had heard has the 2nd largest budget the athletic department.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

One thing to add is that currently, there is no scholarship mandate/limit for women’s wrestling due to it still being just in emerging sports status
        "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Is the Equestrian budget due to taking care of the horses? This sport seems like a one that could be funded privately. No poor kids have horses or do Equestrian. Honestly, I don't know **** about Equestrian, but I do like that we offer it. I also think having a Vet School makes sense at SDSU. What the **** do I know?
          One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Originally posted by ringthebells View Post
            Is the Equestrian budget due to taking care of the horses? This sport seems like a one that could be funded privately. No poor kids have horses or do Equestrian. Honestly, I don't know **** about Equestrian, but I do like that we offer it. I also think having a Vet School makes sense at SDSU. What the **** do I know?
            I like watching it in the Olympics because they have very knowledgeable commentators, the best there is, that explain everything you need to know. The horse jumping course is very hard and somewhat dangerous for rider and horse alike (forget what they call the event). The one jumping the barriers set up is timed and you are deducted for every pole you knock down. Kind of interesting if USA is in the mix for a medal. Dressage (?) is just judging like ice skating or gymnastics, much harder to enjoy for me.

Comment

Personally I would like to see money from equestrian shifted to women’s wrestling (a sport that we could be really good at), baseball, soccer and softball. What baseball, softball and soccer have for facilities is embarrassing for a DI school (most NSIC facilities are significantly better). It’s remarkable the success that soccer and softball have had with what they have.

Comment

Originally posted by JRFanatic View Post
                Personally I would like to see money from equestrian shifted to women’s wrestling....
                How would you provide a facility which is essentially equivalent to the men’s wrestling facility soon to be completed? Or would you plan on having the men and women sharing the same facility like we did with basketball for many years? Would you advocate cutting any sports other than equestrian?

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post

How would you provide a facility which is essentially equivalent to the men’s wrestling facility soon to be completed? Or would you plan on having the men and women sharing the same facility like we did with basketball for many years? Would you advocate cutting any sports other than equestrian?
                  Good questions. Also, a reminder to all that equestrian was added because South Dakota is an Ag state and there is money from ranchers that was targeted to start the program. It was a strategic add to offset equivalents of football, and the financial backing was there before the announcement to add equestrian. Women's wrestling, while it would be nice, doesn't have a clear path without cutting a men's sport. Also don't see the financial support to give women's wrestling a good launch like equestrian had.
                  I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Let’s disregard the option of dropping equestrian (which is just a pipe dream in reality), I would be interested in seeing if the new wrestling facility would have the capacity to add a womens team. Not sure how many classes there are in womens wrestling and not sure how big rosters normally are…. If the facility can handle a womens team it’s a really cheap add outside of travel. If it takes expansion then it’s not a realistic option.

Comment

I am writing from my own memory here so please take these statements as such. I recall that the startup of our competitive equestrian program was a fairly complex issue. It was partially motivated by the need to balance Title IX scholarships. SDSU operates not only to meet the letter of these rules but also to do what is truly right. IIRC, we did not qualify for associate membership in the Big 12 for equestrian because we exceeded the conferences maximum on equestrian scholarships.

A lot of funds were donated to start this program by a number of ranchers and ag producers. The DeHaan family stands out among them as the facility carries their name. It is appropriate to continue the program to continue the mission of their specific contributions as well as continuing goodwill among the entire ag industry.

I would love to see additional sports, but wrestling and equestrian should be evaluated as separate issues and not tied together as a one or the other situation.
                      Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

Currently we have 9 women's sports and 8 men's sports. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I have no interest in women's wrestling from a fan perspective. I would hate to see resources that are going to mens wrestling get watered down by adding women's wrestling. Would rather see more money put into scholarships and facilities for Softball, Volleyball and Soccer.

Comment

I agree in investing in those sports you mentioned but I also think women’s wrestling in place of equestrian would allow that happen. I also think it gives sdsu a sport to be a true trailblazer at and honestly we could and should be able to be a national power in women’s wrestling. It fits our demographic more that lacrosse, field hockey, rowing, etc

Comment

I think the womens wrestling would be more realistic if we go FBS and have add football scholarships. We would need to add womens scholarships to even it out and wrestling would be one of the cheapest ways.

Comment

The reason equestrian was added was for the scholarships and that equestrian parents are financially several steps above any other sport.

That is still the case so cutting equestrian would be an idiotic move. Equestrian is the correct long game as far as future contributions to SDSU.

Women's wrestling would be fine, but fan support would be tepid and if it takes increased facilities than it would be a non-starter.

Comment

I’ve heard often that equestrian is not making the university money, in fact some one mentioned losing more than 1M per year

Comment

Working...
                                X