• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brackets are out

https://big12sports.com/services/dow...ckets_2022.pdf

Comment

A cojuple of notes on the brackets:

133: Gabe Tagg has a sneaky hard draw. Connor Brown has had a down year, but we all know how good he can be and Drury has actually had some pretty good wins this year.
      165: Cook has a pretty good path to the semis through Snediker and Yant. I think he's also glad to see Voorhes in the bracket over Moody who's beaten him in the past.
      174: DeVos had AntMan in the semis who beat him earlier this year, but I think he's in a good place to turn that one around.
      197: I'm happy to see Bastida, Elam, and Buchanan all on the other side of the bracket from Sloan. Those are the three who have the best chance to beat him in my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by TheWombat View Post
        A cojuple of notes on the brackets:

133: Gabe Tagg has a sneaky hard draw. Connor Brown has had a down year, but we all know how good he can be and Drury has actually had some pretty good wins this year.
        165: Cook has a pretty good path to the semis through Snediker and Yant. I think he's also glad to see Voorhes in the bracket over Moody who's beaten him in the past.
        174: DeVos had AntMan in the semis who beat him earlier this year, but I think he's in a good place to turn that one around.
        197: I'm happy to see Bastida, Elam, and Buchanan all on the other side of the bracket from Sloan. Those are the three who have the best chance to beat him in my mind.
        Who do you consider drurys big wins? All I see is #28 Devan Turner who he lost to later in the season. That’s the only top 30 win. Tagg has pinned brown and has other much better wins. I do agree on your other three though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by KSjack View Post

Who do you consider drurys big wins? All I see is #28 Devan Turner who he lost to later in the season. That’s the only top 30 win. Tagg has pinned brown and has other much better wins. I do agree on your other three though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          His "pretty good wins" were Turner, Gliva, Crawford and Sobotker people who many would consider to be in the same league as Tagg. I also think that Brown has the ability to do a lot better than he's done lately. He was a national qualifier and he's had good seasons in the past. The best version of Brown could give Tagg a match, but it's reasonable to question if that Connor Brown still exists. All that said, I think Tagg qualifies.

Comment

Jackrabbits in a great position to score some bonus points in the first round as only Carlson received a Bye. SDSU and Oklahoma State each have 6 wrestlers that are seeded favorites in the first round. UNI has 4, Missouri has 3, and ISU has 3. Let's go get those extra bonus points! I can really see Tagg, Cook, DeVos, Sloan, and Nevills all getting Bonus Points in that extra first round. Those could really make a difference in what should be a tight team race.

Comment

Let's gooooo!!! I just watched the hype vid on twitter and it fired me up.

125, 49, 57: Surprise us TJ, Kimball and Kenny. Show us what you got. You've all been improving all year. Now's the time to take another step.

I feel like we didn't get to see how Tagg and Brown actually match up since it ended so quick in the dual the first time they met. But, that was one of the coolest pins I've ever seen by Tagg. If they are fairly evenly matched, it seems like Tagg has some mental dominance over Brown from that first match. I like Tagg's style. He wrestles like the other guy doesn't deserve to be on the mat with him.

Carlson just needs to be Carlson. Methodical pressure. Motor them down in the 3rd period.

Cook's magic seems to sputter out with the highly ranked guys. Maybe he's got something up his sleeve and wasn't showing all his cards throughout this year. I'm at the edge of my seat every time he wrestles and think he won't disappoint in this tourney. Get to the national tournament Cook! Do was Cook does!

DeVos just needs to score, score, score like he can. Nothing exciting. Just keep scoring. Seems like the gas tank would run down in some matches. Let's keep it full and the pressure on.

King...man...he's been putting up some good, impressive matches. He's another one that's been in a constant state of improvement. Take the next step. Qualify for the national tournament. I won't be surprised.

Sloan. Keep showing us the Sloan we know and love. I was down with his matches at the start of this year. But now he seems 100% with a chip on his shoulder. Stay hungry...keep rolling.

I love the old man wisdom and appreciation for the sport that AJ shows in his media appearances. I hate how close his matches are...but that's classic HWT. He's going to will his way into some wins.

Did I mention I'm fired up!?

Comment

The Jacks have had a pretty bad first round with Tagg, Cook, and King all giving up upsets. Jordan looked good, taking Lamont to sudden victory, that and Sloan's pin were the only highlights for SDSU in this round. I hope they're able to turn it around.

Comment

Here's where we sit after session one:

Carlson, DeVos, Sloan, and Nevills have all punched their tickets to Detroit by making the semi-finals and guaranteeing top-6 finishes.

Jordan needs to win his next two matches over 8 seeded Koelzer and probablt 5 seeded Surtin. A tough hill for him to climb.

Tagg needs to win his next two matches, which should be easy for him though he does have Lautenheiser next up who has beaten him and just upset March.

Kimball will have to win his next three. His first two should be managable for him, but he's going to have to upset someone in the consi-semis

O'Neil is going to have to upset 8th seeded Garoutte and then beat 4th seeded Jacques who would be very hard for him to beat.

Cook has an extremely difficult road. He'll have to beat 4th seeded Wittlake, 8th seeded Grello (who's beated him twice this year) and 3rd seeded Yant all in a row.

King is going to have to beat 3rd seeded Samuelson, 7th seeded Moore, and probably 4th seeded Geer to qualify. All three matches are tough and it would take a lot to win all three.

I think Tagg has a pretty good shot at qualifying, all of the others are going to have to defy some pretty serious odds to make it to nationals without an at-large bid.

Comment

Carlson, DeVos, Sloan, & Nevills auto qualify to NCAA’s, Tagg will have a chance to get an at-large selection but losing for 7th hurts him since finishing one place out of the auto qualifiers spots is a criteria for selecting at-large, Cook doesn’t have a great chance since he didn’t earn a spot for the conference and finished 3 out

Comment

All of the SDSU wrestlers who were seeded, failed to wrestle to their seed with the exception of Sloan. Often when a team fails to perform at conference, it is because they are set to peak at nationals. Hopefully this is the case here and we see the Jacks at their very best in Detroit. Tagg, King, and Cook all have one criteria for an at large bid (a win over an auto-qualifier) but they will need either an RPI ranking of a coaches poll ranking to qualify them. If they do qualify, they still need to be selected and they didn't do themselves any favors this weekend. Flo usually puts out predictions for at-large selections and those may be a good resource, but we'll have to wait for RPI and coaches poll ranking to be release before we know if they are even eligible. This was a hard one to watch. You could tell that a lot of wrestlers were really ready to go, and the Jacks didn't rise to the occasion in the same way.

Comment

Do they make the last coaches & rpi ranking public?

Comment

Originally posted by bennymj171 View Post
                          Do they make the last coaches & rpi ranking public?
                          Now that I think about it, I'm actually not sure.

Comment

I’m pretty sure we don’t see the coaches ranking, rpi I’m only about 80% sure, the at larges are going to be tough for us, if one conference at those weights fell apart then that lowers the odds even further

Comment

I think each criteria for the at large selections is also weighted differently for each one. Don’t quote me on that though

Comment

https://www.flowrestling.org/article...d-for-ncaasyet
                                here is a list of ranked wrestlers that need an at large at each weight, my guess is Tagg gets in and that is all besides the 4 already in

Comment

Working...
                                X