No announcement yet.

Projected Lineup In Dual vs. Minnesota?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Projected Lineup In Dual vs. Minnesota?

Anyone close to the program have an Injury Update or Projected Lineup for tomorrow? Gophers as a team are ripe for the picking if we send all our Studs, but appears some guys, most notably Tanner Sloan have been out. Also some interesting competitive weight class battles. Below is my guess as starters if everyone is healthy.

125 - Tanner Jordan vs. Pat McKee
    133 - Trayton Anderson or Derrick Cardinal vs. Jake Gliva
    141 - Clay Carlson vs. Jake Bergeland
    149 - Zach Price vs. Michael Blockhaus
    157 - Cael Swenson vs. Brayton Lee (Wasn't sure who to plug in here, Swenson the stud True Freshman is probably the most talented, but this weight seems wide open)
    165 - Tanner Cook vs. Andrew Sparks or Cael Carlson (Clay's Cousin)
    174 - Cade Devos vs. Jared Krattinger
    184 - Cade King vs. Isaiah Salazar (Also a weight class for the Jacks that could be up for grabs?? Can Casperson Cut down??)
    197 - Tanner Sloan vs. Michial Foy
    Hwt - AJ Nevills vs. Gable Steveson

McKee, Lee, & Gable all get bonus point victories if not pins. But if the Jacks are healthy, the 7 other matches are toss-ups IMO.

Originally posted by MNJack3 View Post
    Anyone close to the program have an Injury Update or Projected Lineup for tomorrow? Gophers as a team are ripe for the picking if we send all our Studs, but appears some guys, most notably Tanner Sloan have been out. Also some interesting competitive weight class battles. Below is my guess as starters if everyone is healthy.

125 - Tanner Jordan vs. Pat McKee
    133 - Trayton Anderson or Derrick Cardinal vs. Jake Gliva
    141 - Clay Carlson vs. Jake Bergeland
    149 - Zach Price vs. Michael Blockhaus
    157 - Cael Swenson vs. Brayton Lee (Wasn't sure who to plug in here, Swenson the stud True Freshman is probably the most talented, but this weight seems wide open)
    165 - Tanner Cook vs. Andrew Sparks or Cael Carlson (Clay's Cousin)
    174 - Cade Devos vs. Jared Krattinger
    184 - Cade King vs. Isaiah Salazar (Also a weight class for the Jacks that could be up for grabs?? Can Casperson Cut down??)
    197 - Tanner Sloan vs. Michial Foy
    Hwt - AJ Nevills vs. Gable Steveson

McKee, Lee, & Gable all get bonus point victories if not pins. But if the Jacks are healthy, the 7 other matches are toss-ups IMO.
    Cade King and Sloan are both out with injuries and I don't think they pull any redshirts this early
    "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Casperson is the obvious pick at 197 with Sloan out. who do you think Hahn goes with at 133, 157, and 184?

Comment

Originally posted by MNJack3 View Post
        Casperson is the obvious pick at 197 with Sloan out. who do you think Hahn goes with at 133, 157, and 184?
        There's still open competition at all three weights (possibly 149 as well). From what I've seen, I would predict Marko, Price, O'Neil and Battani (until King is back) to win the spots at some point, but I think we'll see a lot of permutations between now and the Southern Scuffle at which point they'll want to have their lineup set for seeding reasons. I'll somewhat arbitrarily guess that they send out Marko, Kimball, Thomsen and Schoon based on the logic that they want to see them in action and they didn't see them at the last duel.

Comment

https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sit...s_11_27_21.pdf
          125: #23 Tanner Jordan • So., St. Paris, Ohio (7-3 overall, 1-0 duals)
          133: Trayton Anderson • So., Northfield, Minn. (2-5 overall, 0-1 duals) or Hunter Marko • Sr., Amery, Wis. (2-2 overall, 0-0 duals)
          141: #7 Clay Carlson • Jr., Willmar, Minn. (5-0 overall, 1-0 duals)
          149: #29 Zach Price • Jr., Johnston, Iowa (8-3 overall, 1-0 duals)
          157: Kenny O’Neil • Jr., Prior Lake, Minn. (7-4 overall, 1-0 duals)
          165: #17 Tanner Cook • So., Ilion, N.Y. (5-2 overall, 1-0 duals)
          174: #17 Cade DeVos • So., Altoona, Iowa (4-0 overall, 0-0 duals)
          184: Tate Battani • Jr., Huxley, Iowa (4-4 overall, 0-1 duals)or Jacob Schoon • So., Brookings, S.D. (4-4 overall, 0-0 duals)
          197: Nick Casperson • Jr., Beresford, S.D. (7-2 overall, 1-0 duals)
          285: #19 A.J. Nevills • Jr., Clovis, Calif. (4-1 overall, 1-0 duals)

Comment

Jackrabbit Fans -
            We just rolled back into Brookings after a quick trip to Minneapolis. I normally don’t like to compete on a holiday weekend but we are committed to competing annually against MN and this was the only weekend that worked for both our schedules. It will be a quick turnaround for us as we leave for the Cliff Keen Las Vegas Invite on Wednesday.

MN DUAL
            Most collegiate duals start at 125 pounds but if a team objects to starting at that weight, a coin is flipped and the team who wins gets to pick the starting weight. MN did not want to start at 125 and asked to flip and won the coin toss. They opted to start at 165. Now there is some strategy that goes into starting any other place than 125 but in this case there is one reason that comes to mind - weight management.

The dual started off with Tanner Cook and ultimately Cook did what Cook does consistently and came away with a second period pin over 20th ranked Sparks (MN). There were points exchanged in the first and I thought Cook had him when he tossed him to his back in the first 20 seconds but he continued to fight through the first and got him early in the second. Tanner continues to remind the country how dangerous he is. Today’s win was his sixth of the year - all by pin.

Cade DeVos stepped back into the lineup after being out with an injury and looked good picking up the 6-1 dec over 21st ranked Krattiger (MN). His movement on his feet and leg attacks looked sharp. He also was able to pick up riding time which is huge for Cade and an area he’s been focusing on. The more matches he gets the better he will continue to get.

Jacob Schoon got the nod tonight and dropped a 10-1 mdec to Salazar (MN). Salazar is a solid wrestler and one of MN’s top recruits. Jacob worked hard but Salazar’s strength gave him a tough match.

People are wondering “Was Sloan ready? Why was Sloan wrestling?”. Tanner is working his way back from being off the mat since March and wanted to compete. We felt comfortable with where he is at this point and gave him the go ahead so he can get some mat time. First match back against a quality opponent and he drops a 9-3 dec against Foy (MN). I’m I worried? NO. Tanner will be fine. It’s early in the season.

AJ Nevills took on Olympic champion Gable Steveson (MN). There’s not much to say as I expect Gable to dominate every heavyweight in the country this year. I am glad that AJ got the experience of wrestling an opponent of that caliber as it will help him in March when he sees that level of competition again. I thought AJ battled hard and I expect him to bounce right back in Las Vegas.

Tanner Jordan wrestling returning AA Pat Mckee (MN) and dropped a 13-1 mdec. We knew McKee would come out right away with a big move and he did. In the first 30 seconds of the match Tanner was fighting off his back. Tanner was able to ride McKee out for the entire second period but was unable to get a turn to score points. Again, it was a really good experience for Tanner to get his hands on one of the top wrestlers in the country this early in the season.

Trayton Anderson wrestled fellow MN native Jake Gliva (MN) and dropped a 10-2 mdec. Trayton has a lot of talent but is not showing it on the mat right now. He needs to open up more in his matches and give himself a chance to win. I’m looking forward to seeing him compete in Las Vegas.

Clay Carlson vs Jake Bergeland (MN) was one of the highly anticipated match ups of the dual. The last time the two of them wrestled it was a one point win in Clay’s favor and Clay needed all of seven minutes to make that happen. This time was different with a 12-3 mdec for Clay. Clay got on his offense early and never let up. He didn’t allow Bergeland to slow the pace down like in the first meeting and put on a dominant performance.

Zach Price lost a 13-7 dec to Blockhus (MN) and didn’t open up. As with Trayton Anderson, Price is extremely talented but he needs to focus on taking his shots and being aggressive. Price will continue to improve while the guys in the room push him. I’m looking forward to seeing him open up in Las Vegas.

Kenny O’Neil took on 5th ranked returning AA Brayton Lee (MN) and battled for seven minutes losing 13-5. Like most of Kenny’s matches, he needs to focus on wrestling from his underhooks where he can get to his offense. From there he can take it to the mat where he can throw his legs and work on turns from top.

CYCLONE OPEN
            We also had a handful of Jackrabbits compete at the Cyclone Open in Ames, IA. We had four freshman champs (Derrick Cardinal, Alek Martin, Connor Gaynor and Roman Rogotzke). Have I mentioned how excited I am for the future of our program?!?

You can get the full write up on the MN dual and tournament here.

NCAA TICKETS
            The deadline to purchase NCAA tickets is fast approaching. Orders need to be placed by December 1. You can purchase them by calling the Jackrabbit Ticket Office or purchase them online at gojacks.com. There will NOT be another opportunity to purchase tickets so please plan accordingly.

SAVE THE DATE
            JWC Raffle & Silent Auction - January 29, 2022
            JWC Golf Outing - September 24, 2022

#getjacked
            Damion

#12 MINNESOTA 27, SOUTH DAKOTA STATE 13
            165: #17 Tanner Cook (SDSU) def. #20 Andrew Sparks, by fall 3:52
            174: #17 Cade DeVos (SDSU) dec. #21 Jared Krattiger, 6-1
            184: Isaiah Salazar (MINN) major dec. Jacob Schoon, 10-1
            197: Michial Foy (MINN) dec. #6 Tanner Sloan, 9-3
            285: #1 Gable Steveson (MINN) tech. fall #19 A.J. Nevills, 21-6 (5:00)
            125: #9 Patrick McKee (MINN) major dec. #23 Tanner Jordan, 13-1
            133: Jake Gliva (MINN) major dec. Trayton Anderson, 10-2
            141: #7 Clay Carlson (MINN) major dec. #23 Jake Bergeland, 12-3
            149: #22 Michael Blockhus (MINN) dec. #29 Zach Price, 13-7
            157: #5 Brayton Lee (MINN) major dec. Kenny O'Neil, 13-5

Comment

Some takeaways:

Sloan is not ready to be Sloan again yet. He didn't appear to be suffering from any injuries out there and his shoulder wasn't in a brace but he did look out of shape, flat, and far from his best.

DeVos looked much improved from the Bison open. He outwrestled Krattiger in every position and looked to score often.

Minnesota fans are PISSED about 165. It was pretty fun to look at the Gopher forums to see those comments.

Price looked better. I'm still worried about 149 for the Jacks, but Price didn't seem as out of his element against Blockhus as he was looking earlier in the year. That said, he didn't shoot at all and I'm worried that he's getting to be a bit tentative about going under these bigger wrestlers.

133, 157, and 184 are still problems waiting to be solved. I don't think that Anderson, O'Neil, or Schoon are likely to make and huge jumps such that these are no longer holes for them. King will solve the problem at 184 when he returns, but I'm not sure if Marko or Thomsen are going to be noticeable steps up and they aren't going to pull Cardinal or Swensen.

Comment

Wombat: Why are they pissed about 165?

Comment

Probably similar to when coach Dresser said he had junk moves. Some fans don' like it when their wrestlers get in those positions and pinned. He reminds me of watching Ray Brinzer as a kid.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                    Wombat: Why are they pissed about 165?
                    They really thought that Sparks was the better wrestler and that he made a bunch of stupid mistakes that allowed Cook to win, which might be true.

Comment

It is a unique style Cook has, but it works for him more times than not. Wouldn't everyone love to have all wrestlers only use fundamentals to win? Probably. But it isn't going to happen.

Were the UM fans upset when Dylan Ness used similar skills to win matches? No!

Comment

Working...
                      X